Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Smelting: An insulting waste of our time.

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Waxillium, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

My choice has become not crafting at all unless i get desperate, because it's extremely annoying.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Why do people keep bringing this up? It has a bit to do with real money transactions, sure... it also has LOT to do with hundreds or thousands of hours that many of us spent in this game after persistence became a thing solely BECAUSE persistence became a thing! Unbelievable.

3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I really don't think it is THAT bad... I just watch a bit of Youtube or something while smelting. The only thing I'd like is maybe increasing the amount you can do at once. Perhaps 50 or 100 per. Otherwise it doesn't bother me that much. Make a sammich and eat something while you're smelting. There are ways to make it not so terrible...

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

A man can only eat so many sammiches! ;)

Id love a skill that lets me increase my batch number to 100.

Nikko and zyxe like this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its ok to have a different opinion. We can coexist being different.

Nikko and zyxe like this.
  6. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Avatar

This is funny, i started to learn the violin as i smelt.

FrostII likes this.
  7. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

I hope the highest skill that goes in to the Smelting Tree is Hire Apprentice (think the robot-looking NPC's) that once hired, I can summon. Then every day, just once, we can summon and task the Apprentice to smelt x number of one type of ore (there would be a reasonable limit, perhaps 400 ore) into ingots that day, and transfer the required materials and molds to the Apprentice, along with maybe food for lunch, or maybe 100 IGG as payment for services. The Apprentice would need to be smart enough to use the correct recipe if I provide metal scraps. As my skill level increases, say at 50, I could hire two, at 75, I could hire 3, and at GM, I could hire 4. Then I could task each Apprentice to smelt a different type of ore if I choose, but the type would be my choice, so I could have all 4 working the same type of ore if that's what I need. If I task them today, it's not ready until tomorrow, but the Apprentice will "work" even if I log out; after all, I can't have the ore on the same day. The next day, I find the delivery of finished ingots in the mailbox (the Apprentice would need to be exempt from paying by weight for the package sent to me). I can help by smelting too, or I can be patient, wait, and perhaps never smelt again. If I don't mind smelting everything myself, I could completely ignore that the skills are available. We could have similar Apprentices in the other trees for the basics, like making spools of thread, leather, or timber, but only the very basic and most boring tasks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  8. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I have a violin I need to learn... how does one go about learning that while smelting?

9. Anunnaki

Anunnaki Avatar

The real violin... I watch how to videos on youtube while smelting... Getting pretty good.

10. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

Mine is real as well. It's not good... but it's real.
    I'll have to go look for videos sometime. Thanks for the info. It might just make this bearable.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yea, some great selling points for SotA there....
    "You can craft lots of stuff and watch some Youtube if it gets too boring"

Nikko, Kvow Triumvir and Trihugger like this.
  12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Literally my exact thoughts. This crafting system is entirely dated and it's the "bad" kind of dated.... the kind of dated that we moved on from and never wanted to go back to.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I hope that the devs are taking note that the most popular suggestion for "enjoying" crafting seems to be "go do something else while you wait".

That is not an indicator of a well designed, fun, or engaging game mechanic...

FrostII likes this.
  14. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I'm not sure how many people have ever crafted in real life. Oh to be sure,yes this is a game. And in our current world,we want everything to be as fast as a McDonald's drive thru. :rolleyes:
    In my lifetime, I have crafted many items that take a lot of practice and patience. I built my wife and I a full set of solid oak bedroom furniture. I built a oak dining room table with drop in leaves for expansion with 8 chairs. All were passed down to my son and daughter in law.
    I also had my own home built forge where I crafted blade weapons from knives to swords.
    My point being,if you think Shroud is slow,try doing some of this stuff in real life. You get boards that turn into timber and into boards. Yea,go fell a tree,oh by the way,guess what? It is too full of moisture to be used,it has to be dried. Depending on what you have available,it can be days.weeks,months. That is just the beginning of the process.
    I sometimes get bored also,but because I know what it takes to do it for real,I have a greater appreciation for the game process than some. There have been plenty of occasions in the past where I logged in to smelt 5,000 silver ore and had Shroud on one screen doing it,while I was playing something else on the other. I don't think the way it's handled needs to be changed as far as time,I think everyone wants larger stacks.But you can also use better time management like multi-gaming as I do to be more productive overall. :)

15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Rebuilding my second home.

So play something else while playing shroud? This is the thread concensus?

Imagine having something in game that would reward you in game!

Would be nice to see these skills decoupled from prod exp pools. Old school the more you do it the better you get at it without exp involved. Would be hard to macro mostly for all the costs involved (so not hard but restrictively expensive).

niteowl57 likes this.
  16. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

It's not like there is a smelting factory preparation going on in game. Look at the size of it,there is no way an operation that small is going to output a huge amount at a time. @Lord British has said before he wants to keep the game within some realm of realism,this is exactly what smelting is. A small operation with a small amount being done at once.

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ahh. You do know they sell golden castles now on seedinvest and that there is an airship that defies gravity made out of pure iron as a cross promotion with star citizen.

See below for whats being made realistically "in small batches".

[​IMG]

Im no game hater. Been here since r7. I don't think putting horse blinders on and taking even our most esteemed devs at their word makes sense in some instances. That building has modern day iron girders!

The refinig tree is terrible and obviously lacks imagination. I don't doubt our devs ability for imagination but it's been focused elsewhere for a long time. Take a look at the agriculture tree.

Honestly can't imagine why people wouldn't want a more interesting refining experience.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

You can't craft a gold house,you can't craft a airship,you can't craft a Kolbold home,none of us can. Those are beyond the scope of crafting of any avatar in the game and even kolbold tech that I saw was beyond the crafting of any race. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :)

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Sure. R42 feedback is old news anyway. Onward!

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Nothing has changed with crafting in R43, so it's still current news - unfortunately....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.