Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Pending response] launcher *always* fails to patch correctly

Discussion in 'Release 43 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Mishikal, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This has been an ongoing issue on my wife's computer. The "regular" launcher can never patch correctly, and has to reinstall the game *every time* to get a new patch. There's nothing useful logged as to why it failed. Eventually, with the non-QA version, we had to move her to steam. I installed the QA build for the first time ever on her system yesterday. It failed initially going to patch 509, then after a full re-download, it was successful. Today, updating to patch 510, the same thing. With the non-QA version, it eventually got to a point where it could never successfully install a patch. I'm concerned that the QA version is going to end up the same way, effectively blocker her ability to test out the QA server. It seems this would be a rather critical issue to get fixed, since it points to an extremely serious flaw in the launcher, but previous posts on this issue have never resulted in any follow up other than to suggest using Steam. However, that's not an option for the QA system. And I'd think this is something that Portalarium would want to have fixed long before the game goes live.

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Mishikal
    It's a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing your machine is the one that has the router on the desk? I wonder if it is related to both the router and peer to peer downloading (P2P) - which may be why you don't see it in other games.

Make sure you have the following ports open:

Launcher:

TCP 5074
    UDP 3544
    UDP 6881

Game Service:
    UDP 5054
    UDP 5055
    UDP 5056
    UDP 5057
    UDP 5058
    UDP 5059

Also check the firewall settings and that if she has any anti-virus program installed that it has Shroud of the Avatar whitelisted.
    You may also want to make sure your router's firmware is up to date.

Sidenote: in my house, my husband's PC is the one that has the router directly hooked up to it. I have a wired on another floor and I don't experience this on either machine while patching. I play both through steam and the SoTA launcher (I go back and forth depending on the day, mostly because I want to see how they both compare.)

I think you are on the right track. Something is blocking on her machine.

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hi Lexie,

It downloads the patch just fine. It is when it is applying the changes to the files that it fails (I.e., after the unzipping stage). There are no issues with actually receiving the patch file -- Only applying it.

4. Lexie

Ah, then ignore all that then :D
    Have you tried a new install, with the machine first clean of anything SoTA related? If she already plays through the Steam launcher she can also try the verify file integrity check through there first. I promise I'm not trying to find a way that makes this non-SoTA related but it does seem to be machine specific, so far.
    @Mishikal

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I've spent hours doing all of this. Verifying her hard drive, defragging, uninstalling anything and everything related to SOTA, memory checks in case it was an issue with her RAM, etc. None of that's resolved the problem. Plenty of other software installs and updates without any problem. It's only SOTA where we hit this.

6. Lexie

@Mishikal Good to know. If I'm not given what was attempted already I can only assume we're starting at square one :)
    I'll get back to you soon as I can. Since today is the day we have a new QA server for dev plus members it is a rough day to get something like this.
    Give me some time to research this over and I'll get back to you.

Aldo likes this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sure no worries. :) Anything I could do to gather logs, etc, I'd be happy to do as well.

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hey @Lexie I wanted to let you know that both patches 512 and 513 went in without issue... So maybe it's resolved itself. Not sure why 511 failed so badly. I'll keep an eye on it in case it comes back again.

Lexie likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Lexie spoke too soon... It failed again today going to 520 from 514:

[​IMG]

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Same for me.

11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Glad to know it is not just my wife's computer (mine patched fine as always). But sad anyone is hitting it. ;) It's now doing the 0->512 update...

12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Lexie Reinstalling failed (0->512). note my wife's computer has 1.4 TB of free space.

[​IMG]

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I did not reinstall, but restarted the launcher - whereupon it proceeded to download the entire thing 0-512 all over again.
    This time it finished properly and I'm ingame on the current 521.
    This has been happening for as long as I can remember - over 2 years now.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Deleted all files in the download and patchTMP directories. This did a full reinstall from 0->512, and then up to 520. It failed again on 520, and never made it to 521.

15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Lexie Completely unable to get the QA build to install. It always fails somewhere in the process.

16. Lexie

The QA server is offline while we prepare to go live so we can't troubleshoot it for now. I'll follow up internally on if we have everything we need for a bug ticket. Let me know if it happens on live once the time comes.
    @Mishikal

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hi Lexie, It doesn't require QA server to be online/live to validate the download/installation of the QA software on the client side. We should be able to troubleshoot this even now, as long as someone can provide me the information on how to gather logs as to why it's failing.

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hi @Lexie, please let me know what I can do to help troubleshoot this, as the problem behavior can still be encountered without needing the QA server up. It's all a client side issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.