Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

I see it as one of the biggest differentials of the game in relation to the others: its amazing community.

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks fakhart for the support!!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. MythosTMC

MythosTMC Avatar

Hi everyone. New player here. My names Mythos and hope to meetup with you wonderful folks in game. I am still getting my bearings in the game so far, but any information regarding casual guilds for new avatars like me, would be appreciated.

Thanks

4. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Hi and welcome - having been playing less than two weeks myself and really enjoying the game.

It can be very frustrating and bewildering to start with but things slowly become clearer bit by bit and there are loads of very helpful people both here and in game happy to try and help.

5. Bowie

Bowie Avatar

Hi fellas! I just started playing the game thanks to the free trial and i must say, it's exactly what i've been looking for so many years. I can't wait for launch!

Yet, i have some serious issues with the performance of the game... where i can ask for help about it? Have in mind, this is a free trial account, therefore i can't make new threads!

Thanks!

Time Lord, Governor Tempest and Numa like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Bowie. Can you tell us what system you have? The game isn't fully optimized so you may find lagging and stuttering in some areas. I would be happy to help anytime. I am Majoria in the game. I would set your game to fastest to see if that helps as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowie

Bowie Avatar

Hi Majoria! Here's my system...
    AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    8GB RAM DDR3
    AMD Radeon R7 370 Series
    HDD WD 1TB

I assume my problem is related to RAM, because even at fastest setting, the game seems to have hiccups. Every minute or so the music goes into stuttering mode and i get stuck for a few seconds. Not to mention, the loading screens take forever.
    But just in case, i'll ask... is there something i should configure beforehand? Should i expect these things anyways since its beta?

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I have 32GB of RAM and still get that, though mostly only in scene changes. That issue is apparently down to some garbage collection change the devs haven't got to the bottom of yet.

More RAM will definitely help with general smoothness however. I would recommend getting some more if you can afford it (and your motherboard has spare slots).

Your CPU is probably also a limiting factor as many things are limited by single core performance (i.e. the extra cores after the first two or three don't help much), but that'll be a more expensive upgrade than the RAM.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Bowie

Bowie Avatar

Many thanks for your advice! Honestly, if that gets solved, i think i can live with the rest of the issues, as they're minor.
    I'll take notes of the updates then. You think they're going to announce it in the patch notes?

Berek and Time Lord like this.
  10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The posts I am getting my info from are this one and this one. I would recommend you follow Chris's Daily Dev blog and the companion discussion thread to get more detailed updates about the ongoing performance work.

To be clear: I think more RAM will definitely help with your stuttering, it just won't necessarily eradicate it.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings Bowie! We try to include these sort of details in the patch notes, but sometimes the more back-end function changes are not included. Will try for this one!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Tetsuo Ostrava

Tetsuo Ostrava Avatar

Hi everyone. I am new to the game (less than a month) and want to say hello to such a nice community.

I am currently a plate wearing sword welding squishy tank sort of player and am working on that with the help of my wonderful guildmates in Stormsong Vale.

I am usually drifting aimlessly between games but omg I am crazy about this one.

I find it so exciting and often choose where I play by the scenery. I love dungeons but some of the views are breathtaking.

.thank you for making me so happy to be playing

Sentinel2, Numa, moxiepilot and 2 others like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome Tetsuo! I'm glad you love it! It's looking really great for next week's update too!

By the way, to you and all new players, if you are near Highvale/Resolute, swing into the S Mart Factorium, I have crafting work for you. It'll get you XP and gold, a win win when it comes to crafting!

14. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

Welcome Tetsuo!

I am also new. I just started earlier this month (barely have 1 week under my belt).

I'm sooo hooked to this game that I may end up buying my first gaming laptop just so that I can play this while I'm out and about. I used to play on Chesapeake and Catskills back during the old UO days (pre-Trammel and a few years after Trammel).

I second what Tetsuo said about the community. I have been meeting some very friendly and helpful people on my travels. I'm usually around the Resolute area so feel free to find me and dance with me ingame :). I look forward to seeing everyone online :)!

majoria70, Bow Vale, Numa and 3 others like this.
  15. Salonz

Salonz Avatar

Welcome StDrahcir,

i just joined yesterday - looing forward to connect to my good old UO days.

BEst,
    Philipp

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome new Players!

@StDrahcir are you like Lord British also Named Richard in real life?

I used drahcir for myself too for erlier Accounts, because my Names are
    Richard Gerhard Wilhelm :)

StDrahcir likes this.
  17. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

Hahahah you are correct sir. My real name is Richard. I've been using Drahcir for most of my characters names since 1990 when I was playing PnP Dungeons and Dragons.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

haha nice :D

Name Brothers with the famous @Lord British :cool: :)

edit: You maybe was the cause once when i gt messages like: This Name is already used :D

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  19. FrozenFire

FrozenFire Avatar

Hi. I am a newbie. So very excited to play but "Updating the game" is in progress step 3 of 6.... Feels like it is taking ages and it is frustrating me to be honest.

majoria70 and Tetsuo Ostrava like this.
  20. Tetsuo Ostrava

Tetsuo Ostrava Avatar

The more excited you get the longer it takes