Help me kill the Troll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

ugh, I hate balancing. Its like trying to make a hammer cut as well as a saw instead of recognizing certain tools are better for certain jobs.

2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I assume you're heavy armour? Sprint + Dash allowed me to get to the gate before they noticed me and got through the rock throwing windup. Also, if you wait a short while without moving, at least one of the trolls will run off to attack the nearby bear.

3. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Oh, I mean in the over world. If they pull me into an encounter with them, I take their stuff.

For fighting them, I am heavy armor melee, so I stay behind them as many have advised. I have to work for it, but I can take them out.

One fun fact that some may not know, if you go down to the icy water below the bridge and stand in it, you will start taking cold dmg. So if you are looking for a place to raise your cold resist, this is one way to do it.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

So the troll in Nightshade seems to be very resistant to water and air.

5. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Im not really happy that the ravensmoor troll and dragons are soloable, but as BDF said, they telegraph skills specifically so they are eventually soloable. If you have ever seen Jobe's "how to solo a dragon" video on youtube, its still a lot of preperation to do it.

That being said, Chris said after the quest arcs are done they will be focusing on high level content again so i hope thats focused on group play.

We will see, maybe the Wyrms will be the group boss fights and what we have now really are just plain old wyverns and drakes.

How cool is that notion? :)

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The most annoying thing is there is some builds thst work and some not.
    Mine just dont work and i would need to choose other schools of magic to do damage.
    My Ice Arrow does between 10 -20 damage, Air is even lower, so he is resistant to my schools. I can even better fight Water Elementals with my water skills.

There is only one Archetype in this game.
    Means skill all magic and choose a weapon. That's what i begin to understand from it.
    The Jack of all Trades is the Avatar who do almost all magic at it's best or you cannot do all content.

Elwyn, Grave Dragon and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Trolls usually don't enjoy fire. :)

This kind of goes for any of the monsters, if they're resistant to magic then you'll probably need someone that can fight with melee weapons. I don't really like that approach but that's how it is for a lot of creatures.

What kind of burns me up (no pun intended) is that if you wanted to be a fire mage and trolls take extra damage verses fire, well then that's going to be a lot of fun for you! But if you never intended to train in fire magic, you're kind of stuck either grouping with someone that can help you, or training in areas that don't really interest you. This is a concept that Chris and the other devs seem to think is a non-issue because you can train in everything! But for people (like me) who are attracted to playing a role (and this is a roleplaying game!) it's kind of a punch in the gut. Wizards don't use shields, Archers don't throw fireballs, and fighters don't heal with death magic. :)

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

As above...

There is only one Archetype, role, class in this game. Avatar = Master of all Magic plus at least one Weapon :(

9. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Was he talking about his Alt account? Did not know he had one
    All bosses i can think of alrady have that mechanic. Amnimations for dragons sweeps which you can jump to avoid. Same for Daemon

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I would like to see boss fights where the bosses have minions of some kind. Currently these sort of things favour archery because that does the most single target damage. Some more aggro management/tank skills would help too.

Well if you want to be a fire mage you're going to struggle against dragons, the phoenix and Xavaraya. Having an easier time with Trolls seems like a fair trade.

Or fighting the high end things that are more vulnerable to your build?

When I'm close enough to be meleeing dragons it's not that easy to spot compared to seeing a troll about to stamp. Most of what I can see is either wings, legs or dragon haunch.

Grave Dragon likes this.
  11. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I´m a earth mage wearing heavy armor most of the time, but for bosses i use my archery build... magic is usually weak against bosses

Grave Dragon and Stundorn like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I don't have an alt account. I was talking about when I was level 45.

Yeah, some of them do. The troll is the most polished (unbroken) of the bunch.

13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Many whelps!!! Handle it!

50dkp MINUS!!!

:p

14. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

Physical damage, sun magic and fire magic works well on trolls. I would suggest going for the one in vertas pass because there is more room to move until you can take on the boss troll in ravensmoor. I personally use a defensive fire build against the boss troll and he drops rather fast. Wand and shield with defensive buffs (Fortify Defense, Glancing Blow, Deflect, Defensive Stance) is a safe way to kill all trolls. Jump his stomps and keep the buffs up in case you mess it up.

What's your adv level?

Edit: Just saw you posted your adv level (70). Thats enough for the "normal" troll. I'd add the 4+ adv levels from the town blessings. You just have to use fire and sun magic if you dont want to do physical damage.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This game really needs specialization. The jack of all trades route is going to kill long term interest IMO.

16. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Could not agree more.

17. Drocis the Devious

During yesterday's telethon, they did say that they wanted to create more robust specialization for crafters. But they seem very committed to combat being the master of all. Ironically, the classless system is supposed to prevent players from freaking out whenever there are changes or feeling like they're boxed into choices that prevent them from being competitive.

18. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I had to learn the hard way, thats what obsidian books of unlearning are for.

For a very long time, i resisted skill changes because of rp reasons... but.. you have to adapt right now or you just miss out on content.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Really thinking of to change my role due to magic, but...

I want to use 2 wands again and begin with optimizing...

And then just before i had a deal for a second wand i accidently sell my other +10 wand of the Storms to the NPC Vendor.

I think this is DESTINY!

Maybe something want me to stick to my char as i imagined him the first time.

a wizard in cloth without a shield, wielding a staff, using only some and not all magic schools, but spezialized.

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

One of the main promises in the Kickstarter was that SotA would be a "Classless" system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.