Help me kill the Troll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Its still classless if you can change your specialized skills while out of combat.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If we all end up as Characters that have to skill almost all skills except for different weapon types maybe, then it's a class system with only one class.

I understand classless as to pick from all to build an Archetype, but the only Archetype that works well is an Archmage more or less.

I think we all need a weapon and then more or less all magic to do all content.

Elwyn and Grave Dragon like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Stundorn What is your definition of an "Archmage" ?

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's no reason that this system couldn't support HIGH level specialization. I think they'll actually do that down the road. For example, say you GM everything in one skill or magic tree. That could allow you to perform unique spells, ritual magic, or even special recipes. Nothing stopping other players from training up in these areas so it's still a classless system.

A classless system just means that you don't pick a class and that determines what you can and can't do. You can still have specialized "stuff".

Stundorn and Grave Dragon like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Actually, the guy with the most XP/levels in the game (117 GM's and counting) is complaining that he can't solo a Phoenix without melee weapons. :)

It's a broken system.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I thought Mac was up around 140 gms and that was as far back as a couple weeks ago?

7. Drocis the Devious

I believe dingle has the most XP, he's just not distributed it into skills and spells at the moment because of decay. He said he had 271 million pooled XP and 117 GM's. Pretty sure he could GM everything if he wanted to.

Grave Dragon likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

143 was the last he admitted to....

Grave Dragon likes this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I have 8 GMs working on my 9th, and around 500k in my pool. Lol herp de derp.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have zero GM, some 80ies and my Pool decreases actually while I try to get Int and Str to 80 :p

So, i have 2 options.
    1. I go on and beginn to skill all magic, then maybe also optimize equip anf use less cloth and 2 wands instead of 1 staff.
    Aka i do the 0815 Avatar New Britannia.
    Maybe i also pick up a Bow or Blades and then just need to wait and grind until i have enough power.

2. I stick to my "class" or Archetype i have build and choosed and although i skill it further i will not be able to fight everything, therefore i will make less progress in total and will also be never pvp ready.

They strongly need to balance it or state that option one is the option to go.

Classless = 0815 Avatar of Everything

No Archetypes, no Limits:(

I dont know how to be happy with this again...

The game is on one side amazing abd on the other side is it less complex and only a simplified grind about character progression.

A Cap and a lot of restrictions about skills, both crafting and adventuring are needed for all MP aspects or MMO functionality.
    Until we all play a SP game with online option where all MP Features like pvp, economy and groupplay are artificial construct, unbalanced and less fun to play, except socializing and RP things.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

A Mage of all schools

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Or you could... not fight the troll/dragon/whatever boss. Everybody should not need to be able to fight the same things, and certainly not solo. All that really matters is that everybody can complete the quests (some of which require solo play) regardless of build.

I may have other trees unlocked, but I mostly use fire arrow and searing ray. And I haven't done anything at all with death, moon, or chaos magic. They just don't feel right for me.

Yes, roughly how I play as well, except with a one-hand sword, not unlike the Final Fantasy idea of a red mage.
    I only have GM in carpentry, adventurer level 71 when I checked a few weeks ago (maybe 72 by now), and trying to get more stuff to 80. So I feel your pain there.

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

They do, the starting scene still recommends following the path of love/bows last I checked.

Stundorn likes this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

As others have been saying, it's basically about twitch tactics (keep him turning, watch what the troll does and jump so you don't get hit with special attacks), or having good ranged damage while keeping him turning.

The few times I went by there, I just hit Dash and ran away to the other side. But the thing about his roam/aggro range including Aldhaven might be something that you should file a bug report for, so they can tweak his range. They obviously intended for him to guard the pass, not to terrorize the residents of a nearby PRT.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Adam Crow yesterday watch me trying it - i do well, but i dont do damage with Ice Arrow or Lightning, and i dont have any other damage spells except Meteor Shower, what seems also to not impress a troll :(

I now could beginn to level Fire or maybe Earth or a Weapon like Bow and combine Fire with Archery or whatwever - but then its like you begin with Moon and Watermagic.

Question is, do we want that? Do we need that?

I dont want, but if other do it and i want to PvP one day and if i want same chances of an artifact one day i need to.
    Or option 2 i need to accept that i will never be able to do this cause i restrict myself.

Question then is what we want for online modes in this game - classless no restrictions but time or do we want some limits. restrictions and dependencies of each other on Online Modes?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...types-poll-online-balance-dependencies.94350/

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well they are not going to restrict us and we do all need to have different builds and a little bit of everything to fight the different creatures in this game. This was not necessarily my choice that we could not specialize, but it is the decision that was made. So special decks people make up for role-play are fine for role-play, but I think we need to get variety to what we have access too. I have an ice elemental deck with lots of fire and fire arrows, obsidian arrow, searing ray and body slam. I am actually gm bludgeon class but those ice elementals made me mad so I went and got some fire skills for revenge. I also have innates from most schools working to 80 for resistances and deflection at gm. I also have an undead deck with lots of searing ray, banish undead, and elysium, well plus heals. I locked banish undead and have it to 80. For the troll while I don't kill him alone like I said, I do jump a lot and keep my distance. I do a body slam hit or two and back up and do range things like fire arrows and such. I try to keep to his back as with all creatures, hit them from behind if you can (a friend reminded me to do this ;). Trolls do massive damage if they fall on you and you can jump to avoid their hits well try to anyway. I jump a lot and move around alot.

Stundorn likes this.
  17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This is one huge success of the kick starter promises. It is obvious that all SOTA players have no class.

FrostII, Elwyn and nonaware like this.
  18. Almar

Almar Avatar

If I'm fighting a Troll with two swords and plate armour, one target is enough thanks :) , personally I think melee combat deserves better defensive buffs/resists. Something in the heavy armour tree. Maybe a buff that gets better if your skill tree has less magic skills? The purer the warrior, the greater the buff. I'm sure it would be a bugger for PvP game balance. :(

The existing buffs hamper DPS via debuff usually, giving ranged a much better edge against any single target HP heavy mob.

I haven't tried to solo a troll in some time, I will try again this week to see how I fare.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  19. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Have you tried Sneak Attack, Ignite Weapon, and poison? All those benefit melee more then ranged and work well.

20. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.