Self Imposed Group Roleplay Idea For Making a Class System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Has anyone thought of starting a RP league? What I am thinking about is Role Players (that RP their character and do not go out of it. People that have a backstory and a certain template they follow) will get together and work on a system that they can:

Come together and set a self restricted skill limit/cap

Come up with a system that would restrict the trees to the archetype they play

Restrict the attunements they play

Set restrictions on gear that the archetypes can wear

Set restrictions on the enhancements gear can get (maybe just use generic weapons with no enchantments: for balance reasons.

Set limits on the number of potions/scrolls/buffs

get together and work on a charter that would discuss all of these topics and get input from the RP community that would want to be involved with this.

Possibly this could work into a RP guild system where toggles could be put in for these things.

Possibly a RP skill tree could be developed that guilds could implement.

This could provide roles inside the league also. People would rp their class, this includes blacksmiths, carpenters and such. People could buy withing the league and support the RP community inside the league. (not a must but would be nice)
    This could be played in FO mode to only include the league. I would suggest if you wanted more people on your friends list then possibly you could make another char for the RP league or we could work on a petition to port to include only a RP league friends list. I say this because of the griefing potential of outside pvp people not in line with the RP rules set by the league.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I thought over it and it's a cool idea on the one side, but on the other side its too artificially constructed for me and along PvP it wouldn't work eitherway.

My Problem is i don't do that much dancepartie RP or how they call it and the problem in general is, people do not play RPGs for RP anymore, if ever, but to optimize the RPG elements.
    there are no bad atributes you have to deal with if you dont want to.

THing is i implement gamemechanics into my RP, i dont like to RP without a foundation from gamemechanics. So i play a more or less weak Wizard, but i want to rise, but i dint want to rise to a God or rise beyond others. I want variance, i want dependencies...

Sorry the idea is not bad - but i doubt there are enough people and what is it worth for PVP? nothing. I want the whole game, not a private bubble.

I will pause more or less, i need to think about it or wait for changes. If they dont change it, i need to overthink what to do with the game.

@Lord British you are destroying exactly what Ultima stands for - both the Ultimas and UO - there is no RP beside fashion parties, there are no dependencies, there are no limits or restrictions and there is no chance of RPvX in this system unless you accept you need to become addicted playing 10 hrs a day and you couldnt care less about authentic archetype roles to play, but instead build the UberClass who can do it all.

its so sad - there is only one guy in gaming industrie who maybe could save the goold old days of online RPG like UO or SWG was, but no...

Sorry Ravicus the idea of a RP League as a part of the Community who setup their own System in this classless "RP destroying" system is maybe a good idea, but wont work for me at all.

i will as i said need to pause and will see what happens or what i am able to tolerate about that.

Actually the game ask me to not to play my role and make a gamemechanic toon to be able to play the whole content (not bosses or resistant Mobs, but PVP Scenes) successfully and without to be the sheep forever or i accept that i cannot partake in the most interesting part of the Game, the Story about the Land and the Lore and much more...

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A Player's Choice of True Challenge Indeed!
    I'm solid to the bone on that one my Brother @Ravicus Domdred ! ;)

You know "Nystal TimeLord" is all about that :D I've been slacking off on him lately because I've been helping work up my GF's character @Pure Water on that account you gave us and She's a very happy girl about that too :oops::) Nystal hasn't got a lick of magic stuff in his make-up other than Healing Touch, which I equate to acupuncture or acupressure because it's a touching thing and not a reg-required or Healing Ray thing.

Nystal was built for dying in a fight unless supported by his fellow comrades :):):):):):) Lord of the Rings Style where one character couldn't do it all, yet could achieve the special level of the highest goals within their chosen skill sets. I think our @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos is about the same way through his endless goals of nothing but a magical existence where nothing would pass him without a magic staff or wand sticking out of their anus :D

It's all about the challenge, yet also a philosophy which is followed where, indeed yes a multi skilled character or team of characters can accomplish a great deal, yet if all those experience points they had spent had been channeled through a more focused outcome, whatever those had been focused into would be greatly more powerful within their skill sets.

Indeed it's an RP, yet an RP which relies on the team just as it takes every finger to make any strong fist to meet it's mark and fun through it's more needed comradery. I don't even think it needs a guild, it just needs a gathering for the tasks ahead within it's chosen collective goals of fun through challenge, yet dose need for us all to stand and be recognized for the specialties we all have as individuals.

We just need to identify everyone...
    Stand up and be counted...
    Let the party begin...

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:
    (Light Armor swordsman)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

@Lord British

I agree with this. Without opposing skill tree limitations and forced skill specialization, there will always be too large of a skill gap for pvp to ever be balanced and the PvE side of the game will always be a competitive race to see who can solo the next new game content first.

Because of this model, those who dont have the time, wont want to spend a year or more playing catch-up. They will just look for a different game. Those who play anyway, wont have the time to keep up and wont be able to compete against 100+gm characters in pvp, so the shardfalls will forever remain empty.

PvE will also diminish, because everything is solo oriented. So even if something like the idea in the OP materializes, what kind of satisfaction can be had completing group play of "multiplayer" content that was already soloed by 2000 people prior? At that point we are reduced to making our own fun through just our rp interactions.

This sounds like a very lackluster game experience.

PLEASE strongly consider limiting the number of 80+ skills a character can have and limit the number of trees they can actively use at one time, to force character specialization. Having avatars who can do anything and everything in all situations of multiplayer mode is eventually going to ruin the game.

6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I would definitely play a skill limited RP character template as long the restrictions were all system mandated when you turn on the RP flag and all of the participating players had an [RP] tag attached to their name proving they are also subject to the same restrictions.

Id also happily accept a mandated [RP-PvP] flag for turning on RP provided i could only be attacked by other RP restricted players.

Yeah, this could work...

@Chris Does creating an RP-PvP flag that restricts the number of skill trees available and skill levels on secondary trees sound feasable from a development perspective?

The goal being to level the pvp playing field for RP-PvP folks from a skills perspective, leaving the (non RP) pvp folks unchanged and creating a PvP subculture specific to RP.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:)~Time Lord Approved~:oops:
    This does present some skill balancing issues between mage and melee, "yet balance is not what the objective is here at all". "It just possibly doesn't need it?" It's that unbalancing that I feel would enhance or bring back that PK excitement of the hunter and the hunted. Currently mages can stomp all over the "Nystal TimeLord" because he has no magic, but he sort of accepted that fact long ago. Yet get more than one of such a melee chr together and a single mage couldn't Root them all to the ground and kill them. Yet if it's 3 on one, that mage may likely die out of not being able to handle so many and thus become the one running away. "There's just so much a second "RP Flag could do and become balanced out through an accommodating unbalanced reward system".
    The second flag idea is quite an "AWSOME" thought to this! :D Not much special coding needed for that hu? Just cut a paste from the normal PvP flag (like I know what I'm talking about with computer programing :p "NOT"... but it could work!).

It's something that fits the RP side of the community's wishes for RP all the way around and could also effect in many strange ways our "match making" within the friends running into each other thing, as well as have much more depth in ways yet unseen or unrealized through such a unique gameplay!
    A Great Idea @Grave Dragon :)~Time Lord~

Ravicus Domdred and Grave Dragon like this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I think the most we could possibly do is a self-imposed Campaign mode. Pick a standard rule set from an AD&D version and map that as closely as possible.

As far a story arcs, there are probably a few of us could act as Patrons to make scenarios and scenes ... or use existing scenes for the arcs.

I cannot see this as a large group of people due to the coordination involved, and I think several others have attempted this a time or three with limited success.

I really do like the idea, but as we are from all over the planet, the timing of when to meet to do this would be the first hurdle

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Thanks buddy. You, Rav and I have always been on the same page with RP stuff.

I dont think balance would be much of an issue because if you had your RP-PvP flag turned off, you could train any or all the skills to gm if you chose. When it was "on" it would go something like this...

Skills choosen at the time of flagging. Flag at the Oracle, same as today.

(Focus and Tactics trees are open to all RP-PvP flagged players, but subterfuge and taming must be selected as a primary or secondary skill tree, replacing a magic or combat tree in your build).

(Combat Avatar) You can choose any 2 combat trees with one unrestricted and the second restricted to 80 per skill plus up to 2 skills from the Life Tree unrestricted for healing/ressing.

Or

(Magic Avatar - Non Healer) You can choose 2 offensive magic trees provided they arent opposing attunments with one tree primary and unrestricted and the second as secondary up to 80 in each skill. Plus you can have bludgeoning (only) up to 80 but no bludgeoning subskills. If Death is selected as a primary or secondary skill tree, they do not get 2 additional healing skills from the opposing tree.

Or

(Hybrid Avatar -Non Healer) You can choose 1 Combat and 1 Magic Tree with one being primary and unrestricted and one secondary restricted to 80 in each skill plus 2 skills from either Life or Death for healing. (Not Both).

And Finally...
    (Healer)
    Choose up to 2 skill trees with one being Life as primary unrestricted and the secondary being healers choice (Combat or Magic) up to 90 Skill level.

This is just an example of course but it gets the idea across.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I do this with my characters already... I've three that I've speced out, and the skill trees they train are determined by their character conception.
    Why is this a radical idea?

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I don't think RP means "questing D&D Style Dungeon Master" with the need of any Game Master or Special Quest set up. Questing and RP are very different gameplay animals o_O:)
    :rolleyes: Great to hear @Rufus D`Asperdi :)
    I think it's a radical idea because of what could be it's potential in another added gameplay through it's flag. If there were innate abilities which did not effect PvE, yet effected it's own "RP PvP", we then arrive at a place which effects gameplay through "RP Innate Leveling" apart from the current SOTA systems we already have. It's sort of it's own "faction" with faction abilities through the innate proses being separate from the main game. Yet within that RP Flag Community, those faction skills become a mystery, with also possible other enhancing qualities of gain within the system. Possibly a Chivalry level identifier or other such things effecting the gameplay between them.
    <insert idea ever expanding wall of text here>

Grave Dragon and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I do too, as do many others I suspect.

Im suggesting it be a Portalarium restricted ruleset so when you fight someone else who is flagged [RP-PvP], you know they are bound by the same ruleset and restrictions as you, so player skill and not # of gms will determine a victor.

Combat is a small piece of RP but in RP-PvP its a big one.

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not think its a radical idea really, its about getting like minded people together to enjoy the RP together.

Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What's stopping you from developing your league?
    Why might it require anything from Portalarium? Or am I miss-reading the intent that this be somehow enforced by the game?

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am just gathering intell on the subject. I have my ideas but I would like input from the rp community. I certainly cannot do this by myself or suggest that my idea is the be all end all. It is just an idea that can be used or discarded.

Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  16. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Well, im down. Even if its all on an honor system, Im willing to either adjust my build or create a new toon so I can participate. Ill also donate my time to help perform any of the planning work required to make it more fun for everyone.

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Being that i am working ATM I cannot reply in detail, but thank you.

Time Lord and Grave Dragon like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Because it's not PvP, it's RP PvP, meaning that it means something completely different with different considered losses or gains when two or more encounter each other. Do I take them as friend or foe and is there any advantage in attacking them now, or does later have more to gain from the encounter... "all of which could be effected by it's gameplay design through ingame programing mechanics".

I also think it's well realized here, that Portalarium would be a while if they ever allowed such a flag to become an ingame reality because of current programing schedules.
    I'm in as well! :D In whatever becomes of (as our friend @Rufus D`Asperdi calls it) "The League"... but such a league does still needs it's expanding ideas to bring it into better focus for good gameplay.

o_O I can't help but to think of board games (possibilities of/in direction) when I think of such a thing, because within board games there's dice (chance of something happening effecting something) and cards (saved or earned abilities to be played at their proper time with limited quantity)... RP @Rufus D`Asperdi , you are quite savvy with board games within our genre... Do you have any ideas if such an RP PvP Community could use of something within all that board gave savvy of yours?

19. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

RP involves storytelling and while we can sit in a room all day expounding about imaginary adventures, why all this talk of Architypes and limitations?

If this is an attempt to define a RP-pvp gathering, then just call it that. :)

Edit: Which looks like you finally did

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As this deals with the execution of PvP... a point I suspected but was unsure of until now... I will need to decline the opportunity as I long ago stated that I would never opine on the subject of how PvP is implemented in Shroud of the Avatar so long as I was guaranteed the opportunity to not participate.

FrostII, Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.