Self Imposed Group Roleplay Idea For Making a Class System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Adopt some minions

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you would never have to pvp in this league. It only ensures balanced pvp for those who want it.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Я не понимаю

FrostII, Time Lord and Grave Dragon like this.
  4. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

War is a factor for concern even for those who do not fight, is it not? PvP may be part of our idea just as war is part of life, but we need good men and women to help bolster the stories and the gameplay even if their involvement doesnt include taking up arms.

Lets be clear that the pvp itself could be a simple catalyst of opportunity to expand your RP and involvement with the league rather than it being a mandate for you to actually fight.

Lots of possibilities there.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

You are the feudal lord of Dawn's Keep. I am sure you would be able to find some followers to represent such a banner in said league, either for it, against it, patrol it's wearabouts, diplomatically parlee with or some such interaction to add to the atmospheric nature.

Time Lord and Grave Dragon like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Same question... what do you think about anything of a board game enhancing this?
    The thing I see with Quests and Story telling, is that it's confining, regimenting and depends allot on allot of time being spent setting up or waiting on things to be written or played out as if a stage play. We encountered allot of the drawbacks within "The Fellowship" meetings through kidnappings into meetings of such ideas as Storytelling getting in the way of good gaming experience for everyone with also added power issues in what or who was to be setting up such quests or organized (picture moment) gaming. For example, one player had wants for us to stand around all day waiting in different locations (what a thrill right?) waiting on invited guests into a quest line, 'which is highly time consuming and a boring time for most).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ellowship-has-arrived-in-new-britannia.59144/
    Understandable! I would say that for now, it's an auto or self acceptance through the duel mechanic... what do you think?
    Well said...
    I've got minions coming out of my ears when it comes to good gaming afoot. But more to the Storytelling point, I see such storylines developing "after the fact" more than before the fact if in fact a story is needed, which in "some degree" it is, but I think it's to a lesser a degree.

To All in Overall...
    I also think this idea has the ability through some sort of limited stack of card play o_O...
    Players could be of even multi-class, yet suffer through lesser reward for their actions, while a true skill class limited player would have the most advantage, the most to gain... yet when it came to interacting with the more muli-classed player the classed player has more defense against loss.
    This is something too which is of great importance if any card play is to be designed. There needs a "non-PvP combat" challenge within it's play. We would need a card play expert to endeavor into such a thing to come and comment. I'm sure I know one but can't think off hand who that is... but I do know where or how to find one :) Maybe also if anyone here knows of one, that could help. I'm sort of stuck on the card play concept design because it seems the only way for deeper play at the moment with something to gain and something to loose within it.

I don't know how anyone feels about that, but we must explore all avenues of RP Game enhancing ideas o_O...
    ~TL~o_O

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Величайший из королей выигрывает битву, прежде чем меч будет нарисован.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

@Duke Gréagóir has done some D&D scenarios in game. This might fit into his train of thought. He pulled it off rather well if I remember, this was done in the early releases even.

Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I attended one of his RP events, it was great. My only regret was that it ended. :)

10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The intent of suggesting a game system was more of the archetypes built into it as 'ranger' 'mage' 'cleric', not for its entire rule set. As SOTA is a classless system in itself, using a translation from the other system gives a good suggested path of what trees to take and how far to take them, but again it's all subjective.

Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

There's no hurtle we can't overcome in this :D
    [​IMG]
    "There's no idea too off the table at this point" ;)~TL~

Grave Dragon likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

sorry didnt read the thread further - only saw something about RP-PvP

it only works with good gamemechanics and a community what lives this

Know a FP Shooter with RPG where all playeras actually do RP and RP the whole Fight - And the gamemechanic promotes that and makes it even more effectively if you RP!!!
    Because lone wolfs are lost in this game - you are using frontloader muskets with 1 shot and a bsjonett and 20s reload time - people depent highly on each other, they stick together,
    they have fun and are RPing although many of them sure dont intended to RP, but they do because its great.

Games like SotA should be played like the community of WoR plays this game - "roleplayish", why, because its fun!

Beside that, nobody stops you from running alone into the battlfield, no one cares if you wanted to grind or whatever, beside there is nothing to grind.
    Or anyone remember Face of Mankind? to get higher Ranks you need to RP to higher Ranks - and this is maybe the difernece, the most people who arent RP'ers talk about Danceparties and Fashion.
    thats maybe one part of RP, but only one minipart of it. They have absolutely no clue what fun it is to Roleplay a Roleplaygame - its even more fun to RP a FPS than to only run forward and bang, bang...

So people who like to powergrind and whatever can do that, please Devs implement them things to do, but why the hell that makes them stronger?
    To rise in this Environment has less to o with time to grind or min maxing, to rise in an RPG Environment should be based on RP and nothing else.

But thats the difference - These games today have no intention to RP, but to so called RP Elements - they took the math out of RPG and implement it and abandon the Roleplay.

Any Larper or Pen and Paper Player around - i was a GM for many years and i did some Reenlarpemt things - the Groups that were after numbers, XP and Level up were the lamest and boring as hell.
    the Groups that roleplayd, even roleplayed their disabilities was the most fun - i had more fun in my life playing roles with handicaps than heros!!!

edit: Eh and sorry this Game is a Richard Gariott Game, the father of Ultima and Ultima onine.
    Sir @Lord British - when does it start that you forgot where you came from dude?

sorry i have no right, but i seriously ask me what the hell has happend to make such design decisions?

In UO afaik people depent on each other, there were caps, nobody was the uber mega Char - UO sure had a lot of problems, but dou you think people played it because they can do all and everything, had this mega imbalance and gap of the distribution of powers.

and its so easy to fix that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

In a game world where you're technically supposed to be yourself transported into a new world, I feel like most RPers are already breaching a very important story/lore element.

I guess that's why RP guilds are somewhat necessary...

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps you should ask for their backstories before making assumptions. :)

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

while technically this is true, it is very boring in the MO mode. If we are all the avatars then what distinction do we have? This is why I suggest RP. We could RP anything in the storyline. I ask you why they sell kobald or undead masks in the add on store? If we are avatars from earth then why buy them? They sell all kinds of RP thingymcbobs but we lack the ability to actually be a functioning RP character. We can mimic and look like the character we want but we cannot function as it. This is why I suggested this thread, to get like minded people active in RP and create scenarios for game dynamics, instead of "just the avatar from earth". Many people have written backstories about their RP characters that go against the initial game vision.

Time Lord and Grave Dragon like this.
  16. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I dont think RGs RP intent was to have us all RPing ourselves teleported into a game world as an uber OP God figure. I know thats the lore from the original game trailer but that would be like saying "ok, youre not allowed to RP because lore dictates that your character is you".

If that were the case, id just watch log horizon and be done with it.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Wha? Naked dance parties aren't role playing? One would think by looking at what our community manager puts out that this game is pretty much only a naked dance party game which as we all know, should bring in millions of players into a game like this right? :)

Stundorn is right, LB should really sit back and look at the game he created here. But the fact is looking at every telethon and the "community members" they bring in are the same like 5 people they have had in the past 1.5 years I have watched. I think they have surrounded themselves with "yes men" community people who keep driving these dance parties which the devs completely buy into.

I look out at all of the people who are looking for another online MMO and watch them see this games marketing and walk pretty fast.

But this is why they can barely get 500 people to play the game at one time and people like me have completely lost faith.

18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Actually, RG has said this matter of factly that you are your Avatar. Of course, your mileage may vary on adherence to this.

19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Well as I told the elf in Artifice... I make my own path, so this is me choosing not to follow the lore of the trailer or RPing me as Myself. Lol

20. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Well, I think that is the intended effect. This is a Lord British game after all, and having the option to NOT follow the prescribed or stated path is actually one of the options available.

Stundorn, Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.