Self Imposed Group Roleplay Idea For Making a Class System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I tend to agree, yet disagree within this point o_O... (good to see you here @Gix )
    The thing I see in that in the objecting side, is that it limits players who wish to remain in their chosen other guild and also sets a power play between and within the guild styled set up. There's always a guild master, which invokes a power struggle element which tends to shun away many players from such guild designs. "We already have PvP guilds and RP guilds", so as @Rufus D`Asperdi so well points out, "there's nothing new there".

"Anyone interested in support of the card based design developing idea please feel free to speak up, as certain elements will be gathered within a PM thread in a support fact finding mission for the possible card based play design".
    In that PM thread all are equal and it's mission will be in search of good design, or fail... Brothers @Ravicus Domdred & @Grave Dragon will basically have little choice whether to attend or not :D:cool::cool:
    :rolleyes: The purpose of that PM will be aimed at our possible card style building of good RP MMO Gaming :rolleyes:
    (all attending will have the ability to leave the PM or to invite any others they wish to attend) o_O...

I do encourage other groups to form when an available interest sparks their own creative support for "any possible other direction" this may be taken in :)~TL~

2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

We have spoken on it before, i think our best path of action is to define the lore alteration and guage the community for interest.

I could see a theme being pretty intuitive where Avatars arrive in Novia and instead of following the prescribed dribble manifested by the titans and the farse of the oracle, they do what human beings do and attempt to dominate their enviornment, some via force, some via politics... there would be good, evil, chaoticians and strict paladins of order.

I dont see Portalarium being willing to create new features to support the idea unless we can do it ourselves first and show them exactly how many players want to participate.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

THIS is perhaps the key takeaway of getting some in-game tech to support the end-goal.

Grave Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Some of the posts that followed my statement are proof that some people do, in fact, ignore the game's story/lore because of their own vision of what RP entails.

Here's one quote:
    There is such a thing as costumes. Why do some of us dress up or cosplay in the real world? If, within the game, a group of people decide to organize a zombie apocalypse scenario as a "game within a game", you can get volunteers (just like in the real world) to dress up as zombies and have a fun time. We do reenactments in the real world because we, as ourselves, find it fun.

If someone starts to roleplay that they are a kobold, for example, that's where I draw the line. That's my own personal take, mind you. That's why RP is more easily managed in smaller groups/guilds because they can come to an understanding of their "rules".

As far as what makes us unique, that's something that holds true even in the real world.

That's exactly why I've said the things that I've said.

The more rules you bend for your own personal tastes, the harder is it for a wider variety of people to get together and play. This is true for any game including RP.

Nothing stops you from imagining what you would be like if you were transported into a fantasy world. I can easily imagine losing your friends and family to make a psychological impact strong enough to become a different person. There's plenty to work on but to say that you've been on Novia your entire life contradicts the entire mythos of the game. You're an Avatar; that's why you resurrect when you die.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am not arguing the facts you present, but I offer to build on them. What happens when a husband and wife in real life join up in game? They both got sucked into novia. Would the procreate in game? What if their real life kid played with them? Would they all be avatars? What would happen if your grandfather played the game and you joined many years later? Would you be the avatar offspring of the avatar? What if your parents where the ones sucked through the vortex and landed here and where killed by kobalds or undead, and you where left to fend for yourself? What life would you have? See, we can build on all these things, the mind is only limited by the persons imagination.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They would decide all of that when they looked into the mirror. Each Avatar chooses how they manifest in New Britannia.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I understand how the story line goes. I would like to work with you on this if possible. You are highly intelligent and even though we are at odds against each other most of the time. I think that its because we view the world through different lens's, and not because we are actually different. We both want a common goal. Maybe we can come to an understanding how this would lead into the RP league?

Time Lord and Grave Dragon like this.
  8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

That is exactly what I did. Grave came with his brother who was killed during a dragon attack and was later set adrift to sea on a flaming pyre.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

nobody wants people to roleplay - when the gamemechanics are right people RP without serious intent to do it, everybody does more or less identify himself with ones character.
    This toon means something to you, you dont want him to deleted.
    So if the gamemechanics promote more interaction and have them somewhat complex and always "fair" then people interact "through" gamemechanics.
    Some form of it are the personal verndors to me - if we would be limited and depend much more on each other these vendors would be far more important i guess.
    People would... need to specialize, even for gathering - think of it...
    this would create an economy.
    Make items powerfull but way easier to produce, but make them also drain and break over time much faster.
    So you may have good equip, but for standard situations u use standard gear, what wears quickly off and you need to restock or remade it.
    But again, limited you need others to get all materials together....
    Goes on and on over to groupplay and to PvP.
    This all is only about MP modes, where you can seperate in FM or isolate in SPO.
    For SP offline the games open character development and "classless" system is all fine - many ways to do the content and also the posibillity to walk on all the possible pathes. great thing! really!
    i would nothing love more for this as a SP Game to be able to try as many things as possible, but for online?!?!? :eek:
    No! just no.

thats just my opinion - and i think this game has absolutely the potential to do this, they can exactly do what they wanted to do - create a spiritual successor to the ultima rpg's and ultima online.
    The offline SP will hopefully once tell great storys - as i recenty finished the 3 path's and meet the oracle i thought: well, it's going to be interestant. I think they can tell us a good story in the end, lets hope it there will be also lots of content and sidequests beside that.
    The online modes - also FM or SP online - need to have limits and restrictions to get to more interaction between players and a challenging pvp setting that is available to all players after some time playing. I think if the game want to be also a MMO or online RPG then it need much more gamemechanics that creates diversity and dependencies between characters.
    All parts of the game, crafting, pve, solo, groups, pvp need to be based on chars abilities what need to be balanced and interactive.
    If chars can get to powerfull or if chars need to long to get ready to pvp ( i'd never say weeks or month, just to be clear, make the game as hard as its possible, but after a year every casual gamer with some interest and passion about the game who plays between 5-10 hours a week should be damn able to join PvP and make a difference!
    and my last point is about RPvP - there are nice projects in New Britannia RPvP Projects like Rats Nest or Khali and i sure forgot some others.
    PvP is not for everyone, but we can have good PvP in this game, somewhat more or less RP related, lore related and if the gamemechanics are right even non Roleplayers begin to RP somehow.
    Its a kind of what is possible and to do and how is it to do. Dependencies, organization of players, interaction... i mean why else need an online mode?

Healers would be awesome and important against undead, also Sun magic users like Paladins maybe, it's totally cool to be an icemage and cannot proper fight Ice-Elementals.
    Same for good damn Trolls :D
    But then there are Fireelementals and Icemages are the best one to fight them. Variance. Then the players - even if play solo - can do a lot, but all can do also a lot not and would need others to help them. thats actually the case, but we need a system that promotes that, if otherwise it is possible to become that powerfull that you no longer depend on anybody then people will do that and they will try that and become more and more independent. Only few are enough to influence the economy and the balance in pvp that nobody has fun anymore - because then the endgame is about domination and not cooperation - even for pvp were groups cooperate against each other.
    If we have like someone stated in another thread that even some midlevel chars with mediocre equip influence any PVP Situation (UO *cough*), than PvP would happen much more - of course there need to be other things implemented, but just to say, if some things get adjusted like i said items decay much faster and mediocre gear is more the way to go, maybe highlevel progamers have their very good stuff, but only wear it for specal events, like "kill a dragon" or PVP, and no repair. +19 maybe, but gone is gone it all wears off very much faster. At the same time it doesnt need to harvest 10k silver to do it.
    But back to my point ... then things get closer, people get closer, people have more fun interacting, because fun is no attitude, fun need a cause, it's an experience and this game want also to be an online RPG - so than the most important thing is people want to interact, need to interact and depent on each other, need to organize things - btw you never want to know what i would call a traderoute - it surely would need to pass a pvp zone - in the end the gameworld feels more alive!

the system we have is perfect for offline - for online its more or less destroying any "roleplay" --- exclude 'element'

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yessir, @blaquerogue was doing this a while back and i know he is interested in it. If you contact him im sure he can direct you to his thread.

And i agree elgarion's town would be ideal for such a thing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.