1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

‘Welcome to New Britannia’ Community Trailer Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

[​IMG]

Get those eye popping video ideas ready, Avatars! Like last year’s trailer design contest, this is your chance to show that Shroud of the Avatar is both the game, and community, that new players will want to play to launch and beyond.

The ‘Welcome to New Britannia’ Community Trailer Contest kicks off today!

You have from July 13, 2017 (Now) to August 22, 2017 (11:59 PM CT) to design a video trailer for all New Britannians to admire. Capture shots of key city districts, bustling player-owned towns, luxurious houses, intense combat, majestic outdoor scenes, crafting valuable goods, or any of the other amazing features of our game that you think will help sell the game to other players.

Key features to highlight include (if possible):
    • Sandbox RPG
    • Selective Multiplayer: Offline Plus 3 Online Modes (Single, Friends, & Open)
    • Multipath Story by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman
    • Classless Character System
    • Dynamic Combat with Customized Decks
    • Player Driven Economy
    • Deep Crafting System
    • Player Owned Housing
    • Housing Decoration System
    • Player Owned Towns
    • etc…
    Below are the details of the contest, including what you can win!

SELECT A THEME

Theme 1: Complete 1-2.5 minute trailer. There’s so much content one could add to such a trailer of this length, but most importantly, it should all be of high impact value. The more exciting and powerful it is for broad audiences that don’t already know what Shroud is about the better!
    • Example 1:
    • Example 2 (using Animoto):
    • Example 3 (w/voiceover):
    Theme 2: Short 30 seconds or less advertisment video. For such a short video, high impact and quick to understand imagery is going to bring your video to life.
    • Example 1: (different game theme, focus on the camera cut style, and don’t forget to
      include an exit slide!):
    • Example 2 (similar to above):
    • Example 3 (combat focus):
    • Example 4 (textual teaser):
    Also, we recommend you check out all the videos from the previous contest! http://bit.ly/2ujj1VI

Examples are of the highest quality, so don’t worry about trying to duplicate them. They are only basic guides. Some of the ways you record footage will be limited to our camera system. Do the best you can and have fun with your own ideas on what a trailer should include!

Both themes can contain textual cut-scenes and audio explanations if you wish, though we suggest limiting these and letting the scenes explain the game itself. This includes carefully selecting what kind of Shroud approved music (anything from our game or is completely free for public use) works with the visuals.

Please be sure to mention in the submission post which theme your video is designed around.

WINNERS & PRIZES

Trailers will be judged by a team at Portalarium on the following merits:
    • Keeping to the Shroud of the Avatar world (Only SotA footage)
    • Overall originality and artistic flair (Don’t overdo it! Simplicity can work wonders)
    • Diversity of in-game areas presented (Outside scenes, inside homes, dungeons, etc.!)
    • Overall flow from opening scenes, buildup of in-game footage, and end scene
    • Seamless transitions, consistency, and smooth gameplay throughout
    • Will it make a fan shed a tear in joy? Brownie points here!
    Theme 1 Prizes:
    • Grand Prize: $1,000 Store Credit, an in-game title, and a thank you letter from Lord British
    • 2nd Place: $500 Store Credit, an in-game title
    • 3rd Place: $300 Store Credit, an in-game title
    Theme 2 Prizes:
    • Grand Prize: $250 Store Credit, an in-game title, and a thank you letter from Lord British
    • 2nd Place: $150 Store Credit, an in-game title
    • 3rd Place: $100 Store Credit, an in-game title
    * Can redeem up to $85 in COTOs

All Other Submissions: Everyone else that submits an eligible and feature complete trailer will have theirs included in a contest playlist on the official Portalarium YouTube channel for proudly submitting their work.

Final entries and winners will be mentioned and shown on the Community Livestream on August 25! Keep watch on the main website and the game’s social channels for details and updates.

SUBMITTING A VIDEO

Requirements:
    • Resolution: 1920×1080, or 3840×2160 if all scenes play smoothly at 30fps or higher
    • Runtime: 1-2.5 minutes for Theme 1, 30 seconds or less for Theme 2
    • Assets: May only use SotA graphics, music, or your own customized assets. NOTE: If you use your own assets you must have all rights to those assets and you must assign us perpetual non-exclusive rights to those assets so we can use them as part of the trailer when we use the trailer for promotional purposes.
    • Quality: For optimal game recording quality, set all game settings to their max
      Scale back game settings if framerate drops consistently below 30fps
    • Audio: Must have at least some music, sound effects only at the intro and exit scenes as needed, and voiceovers are not necessary. Also consider keeping gameplay sound effects low, or turning them off entirely. Music is usually the only main audio you need.
    • Contains a “Created by:” message at the end scene, as well as a Shroud of the Avatar logo either in this same scene or elsewhere.
    • Must list the official website URL at the end of the video: www.shroudoftheavatar.com
    Your video must be shareable on YouTube. Submit Trailer Here with a title, description, why you created it, and a YouTube link to the trailer.

VIDEO RESOURCES

There are plenty of tools out there to use to put together a gameplay trailer! Some online web suggestions would be Animoto.com, Flixtime, and Stupeflix. Production tools include Adobe Premiere, Cyberlink Director, and Sony Vegas. As long as the trailer adheres to the contest requirements, you can use any software at your disposal.

There are many ways to create great trailers! We recommend you start by considering if you want any graphics at the beginning of the trailer to introduce it, as well as exit slides (including the “Created by:” message in the end scene). One of the examples we provided above is a super duper fancy Animoto.com version, so don’t feel obligated to abide by that structure.

Click here to download our Media Kit that includes additional logos and items for your video.

You are also required to save raw footage in case we would like to reuse the footage in future videos. Please do not send raw footage until we ask though, unless it is via an easy to use link that downloads the footage in one path.

CONTEST RULES

Since this is a skill based contest, a committee of judges will be formed at Portalarium, and any tie breakers will be resolved by the committee. Any concerns and disputes on who won must be sent to Berek. Do not post in the submission thread or other public areas any disputes or challenges about the winners.

Inappropriate/Vulgar submissions are prohibited and will result in disqualification.

Submissions containing any of the following are considered inappropriate:
    • Any disparagement of a race/gender/group of people or ideals
    • Drug/alcohol abuse, sexual connotations, and other derogatory or disturbing imagery
    • Graphical bugs, or otherwise depicting the state of the game in a negative manner
    • Anything that would be a violation of the common Community Rules & Guidelines

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE AGE 13 OR OLDER. ONE ENTRY PER PERSON OR HOUSEHOLD.

THIS IS A SKILL-BASED CONTEST. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. VIDEO FOOTAGE CAN BE FROM ANY SOURCE AVAILABLE TO YOU, INCLUDING YOUR OWN GAME ACCOUNT AND THIRD PARTY SOURCES. ASK FOR PERMISSION WHERE APPROPRIATE. AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY / RELEASE OF LIABILITY / PRIZE ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT MAY BE REQUIRED.

ALL SUBMITTED VIDEOS ARE ABLE TO BE USED AND COPIED BY PORTALARIUM FOR PROMOTING SHROUD OF THE AVATAR AS PORTALARIUM AND ITS PARTNERS SEES FIT.

Good luck Avatars, and have fun creating an amazing video!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Where can we download the Shroud approved music?

Thank you

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Soundcloud

Time Lord and Net like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

Which ones are "Shroud approved" and where/how do I download them? From what I can find, they are only streamable.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

All of the ones that are in that playlist are "approved"; thats what the list is.

To save a file, click to play one of the tracks, then click the three dots below the "Write a comment" line and click "Download". Not all of them have this, it depends on the person who submitted it. If you find one you want and it doesn't have a download option, you can contact the author for a link or to change their settings.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

What is meant by this? last time I captured videos with FRAPS and it makes very large files and then in Movie Maker I put together just small fragments of each video. Does this mean that if I shoot hour of content in hundreds short videos I should keep them all? Or is this only about the original trailer file which is not affected by YouTube compression?

StarLord and Time Lord like this.
  7. that_shawn_guy

Thank you for the information. However, given the potential for DMCA issues, I'd much rather have clear communication from Portalarium as to which music they hold license to. Having a list of "favorite" tracks that some authors have not approved downloading for, just doesn't cut it for this kind of thing.

craftymethod, Time Lord and Womby like this.
  8. Berek

As long as they are recognized as tracks from the game, it doesn't matter necessarily how you get them, whether that's SoundCloud, game files, or some other method. We also state that you can use other music as well, as long as it's free of copyright restrictions and fits in with the game's theme. I would try first with officially recognized game music though.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I get the features of the game is important but don't forget maybe something from a deep lore perspective! (im looking at you UO intro). Sure we can go meta as hell, but as someone who hasn't read much story or understands how Avatars really got here and the pitch of that towards players, trailers that help in that regard would be cool too!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Cordelayne, Time Lord and Berek like this.
  10. Berek

Totally up to you how you want to design it! The bullet point list is just a general guideline of starter ideas, not hard requirements.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sweet! I'm excited to watch all the submissions.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I wonder if its worth creating a new discord channel? Is there a place for "Crowd Source" discussions and chat etc? Forum has Player Resources... might discord also have a crowd source staging area for ppl working on projects and share tips n tricks?

(edited phrasing)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is always my most favorite contest to watch and be a fan of :) because somehow... "they always seem to be ending up on my FaceBook page" :D~TL~

Barugon likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I too am excited to see our community talent at work. Best of luck to everyone who takes this on. :)

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  15. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Can we actually pay a license for decent (high quality/purpose made) trailer music? This is not clear im afraid.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. Berek

Great question. We would really prefer you stay with Shroud music, however, if that's not possible, we still want you to give it a go on creating a trailer... the music shouldn't stop you from doing that.

All that said though, paying a license fee would still not allow us to use it then. We'd have to pay for the same fee if we share and promote the video elsewhere. So short answer, no, I'm afraid :9.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

Hmm, just realized that my last video was almost three minutes long and I had troubles to fit everything in. Cannot wait for trailer contest that will enable me to use the whole length of a song. And present all important aspects of Shroud in nice cinamtic manner without it looking too hasty.

Berek and Time Lord like this.
  18. Berek

No need to include everything! I would focus on a handful of the highlights and run with those... I'll leave it to you to decide which ones :).

Quality and the "wow factor" is what matters here, not necessarily the quantity of coverage.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

I know I know, but it would be nice to have some trailer contest in the future that would allow for longer videos. There is so much to show of the game and even at two minute mark it is more of an teaser. I hope to see in the future trailer contest 3-10 minutes category:) Please.

Time Lord, Womby and Berek like this.
  20. Berek

Ok, deal, next contest we'll expand upon the time limit... maybe a third category :).

Time Lord, Net and Womby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.