Full Release 1 25k+ backers December 12? Problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maximus, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

The access the Dev+ folks today was only for the installation. They can't actually log in. Everyone who pledged $45 Adventurer level or higher will have access to the early alpha on the 12th-14th, next week.

Edit: Helps to refresh the thread XD sorry for the repeat

BillRoy and Umbrae like this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

You are right that is totally reasonable. That is why crowdfunding is not for everyone. I am a rabid Ultima fan and my wife knew if LB ever showed up on KS I would be breaking the bank. Not many people can take that risk blindly.

3. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

You might want to check out the below link. It details the early access dates and whats in each test period. Yes, we do get to test something in December. Its outlined clearly in the below.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-access-schedule.3875/

If you're looking for the full game, that's scheduled for late 2014. Until then you could consider it alpha/beta.

4. Exittium

Exittium Avatar

Tbh, Using beta as a judgement for whether your going to buy/play or not for ANY game isn't the best move, BUT that's just my opinion so no worries :D everyone does everything different

5. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

So is it just me or does anyone else think the alpha/beta access is going to end up being only for dev+ backers while the rest of us spend those two days unsuccessfully attempting to download the client from an overloaded sever?

That is my prediction. We'll see how it turns out.

6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Exactly this. Traditional alphas are sometimes so bad, they can make you (and the coders) cry - hard.

Betas tend to be better, as feature lock is set in and tuning starts, but even then, they are typically very rough.

What you see in the wild as "betas" from most game companies these days are RCs (Release Candidates).

At that point there is a limited amount of tweaking, which is why, when they launch those and people start clamouring for "fix this" and "add that" it is way too late.

You are being given the opportunity to help shape the alpha and beta stages of this game prior to it's RC, public facing "beta".

Since you pledged enough to get into the alpha! you will have ample opportunity to test, feedback, and see if the game starts shaping into what you want.

Unfortunately, the pledge window (IIRC) is April. So you have time, and will most likely see the alphas into the combat release, which should give a fairly good overview to invest more or not.

HTH

7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

The download test we did today was very, very smooth. Now I grant you it is limited in number scope, however, the distribution model seems solid, and I am sure there will be enough distributed versions that you'll have multiple download "nodes" effectively cranking.

They would most likely open it early to download and patch as well.

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think that is a negative point of view.

My prediction is that Portalarium will open downloads for everyone on Tuesday or Wednesday, so everyone will be ready to go on Thursday.

Hazard, BillRoy and NirAntae like this.
  9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

The test, from what they said is going to be moving furnature around a room and trying to place objects on tables and shelves, and using doors.
    And it will be in a "single player" type mode, so you won't see or interact with anyone else.
    They will probably make sure we can log in and out and may ask for feedback...

So it may be interesting, I don't think it will be fun or exciting as far as a gaming experience goes.

10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That's what I thought too, so they wouldn't waste the testing day just trying to get people to download and log on.

11. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Well it is reassuring to know they are using P2P distribution which allays my biggest fears regarding possible slow downloads.

12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Actually I think just the opposite... I think the DEV+ people will be seeding and helping all the non DEV+ players get in that much faster... you're welcome :)

13. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Do we know the time on December 12 we will be able to login?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm guessing around one o'clock in one of the timezones.

rild likes this.
  15. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

When I downloaded it wasnt a horribly long time. But now that I have it installed I really just wanna play!

16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The Dev+ folks simply got to do an initial sanity check on the download/patching process. They didn't get any extra access compared to the rest of the backers which will be getting in on Dec 12th. What gave you an impression otherwise?

17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

You obviously misunderstood my point. I was concerned that non dev+ backers would be stuck spending the two testing days downloading the client from an overloaded server while the dev+ people didn't have that problem because they had already downloaded it.

However someone else in this thread mentioned they are using a peer to peer method of distribution which means there shouldn't be any major download issues. I'm not as concerned about the issue now as a result.

NirAntae likes this.
  18. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

given the scope of the game at this point, how big did you think it was going to be? :)

19. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Just psyched bout getting a tiny slice of the game to try and give feedback, I hope that they take the information away and build on it unlike some companies.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

By the way have they issued any feedback guidelines or will they have somewhere specific where players can report back on issues/bugs etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.