Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Malice entry difficulty level (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Release 43 Feedback Forum' started by Arya Stoneheart, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

[​IMG]

According to this entry, I should be able to do Malice at my current adventure level, which I looked up and is at 44 for my offline character.

Now the first part with the spiders can be run through to get to Samael, if you shut the door quickly behind you.

After that it gets very difficult with hardened undead and liches.

I know at some point, hopefully soon, you are able to help Samael and he is supposed to help you with this dungeon.

Otherwise, the mobs in there need to be reduced in difficulty or I would need to do lots of side quests to get strong enough to finish the Love Path as it is now.

I have already finished the Truth and Courage Paths so this is the last one.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Wow you managed to do more than I could (since I can't complete neither of the paths).

The quest was actually labeled as "This should not be challenging for me" as seen here:
    [​IMG]
    But the big spiders themselves are "YELLOW"! YELLOW! That's the game telling me that, ONE monster at this level has a higher chance of killing me than I do killing it. I know that it's SUPPOSED to tell me that the monster is about my level but that's not the reality of the situation. At yellow difficulty, it's a fight for survival where I may or may not come out alive with 2% of my health remaining.

... and that's just ONE enemy... and those spiders will poison you; meaning it's outright impossible for me to fight them off... yeah "THEM"... because there are TWO of them inside.

If you find a way to skip the spiders (which, in my case, involved many deaths just to that I can move them away from the path.. and I'm the stealth guy here), you get to talk to Samael and THEN the quest changes and no longer has the "This should not be challenging for me" description... only to find ORANGE enemies further along the path

Let's not forget that, to GET THERE, you need to go through a Control Point that isn't a walk in the park to traverse... either that or go through Blood Bay which is what I end up doing (a PvP zone).

What a waste of my mine.

I "get" that the game is supposed to give you that "Go, traverse Mordor to Mount Doom and destroy the One Ring" kind of quests but the least the devs can do is give us appropriate descriptions as to whenever or not we're ready to pull it off.

Sir_Michael, Quenton, Vyrin and 2 others like this.
  3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I used the new moongate in Owl's Head and went to Brookside, which is close to Spite.

I was actually able to take out a Hardened Mage and a Hardened Archer one at a time, they were yellow, but Liches are too much right now.

At least there is the 10K bonus to keep my offline character going till new quests are put in the game.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, i was past 80 when i did malice and died about five times. the conning for the journal is all off.

5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

When I did Malice I was already capable of farming the Crypt of the Avatar relatively safely. That last room in Malice definitely was dirty as I died once in there before being able to split stuff up. IF Samael was usable during this dungeon the difficulty in the quest journal is probably about right. That and if Samael's banish undead ever gets fixed to do more than zero damage.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Brookside has a lunar rift now, Waxing Gibbous phase. Depending on the phase you might have to wait up to an hour, but that can be preferable to going through that control point.

Took me a few times to get that final fight right, with adventurer level around 70 or so. I don't remember exactly, but I think I had to get rid of the add skeleton first before burning down the lich.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'll take your word for it. However: between [playing-the-game-to-get-beaten-up-by-content-that's-too-challenging-even-though-the-game-tells-me-otherwise] and [waiting-for-the-game-to-sync-up-to-get-beaten-up-by-content-that's-too-challenging-even-though-the-game-tells-me-otherwise]... I'll take the former.

Still... that is a more friendly passage.

I want to point out that I don't know where Brookside is. I say this because I don't expect any player to know this information unless they've played long enough so that the content of Malice becomes practically possible.

Heck, Arabella in Soltown gives new players a quest to go to a lunar rift. It was "suggested" that I use a lunar rift and she doesn't give you any alternatives (because no new player would know what or where Highvale is) and I was stuck there waiting for about an hour. I don't remember being THAT bored doing a quest before...

Sir_Michael and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I want to point out that sotamap.com has a search function that works very well.

At least it does as long as someone doesn't move their POT halfway across the map.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

If it's not in the game, then it might as well not exist when it comes to talking about game design or QA.

10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

It is south-east of Spite.

Sir_Michael and Cordelayne like this.
  11. CrandalltheForth

CrandalltheForth Avatar

The task to "find Samael" instead of surviving once you find him. I wonder if that was written to mean just that?

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I did Malice so long ago it has clearly changed dramatically. Can you no longer enter the dungeon with a group?

13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

If it is the same as Artiface, you have to have the quest to go in and after it is cleared you cannot go back. Pretty much a solo dungeon only.

14. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

it is not easy nor is it meant to be easy as it leads to the end of the quest. it is possible to solo and best if you use a bow for ranged targets with swords for close combat and using all buffs to boost health and strength and then also expect to die a few times.
    I also would agree another polish is required to make the story flow as it is a bit disjointed at the moment.
    and the question of entering a PVP area as part of the quest should be rethought.

this was my video of my 3rd and final attempt to complete the quest

Sir_Michael and discipleofweb like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

What do you mean "it leads to the end of the quest?", you go from the Isle of the Storm, to Soltown, to Ardoris, to the Necropolis, then to Malice and that's it? Am I missing a step or something?

If it's supposed to be hard because it's the climactic ending to a story, then MAAAYBE it shouldn't send people off that early in the game. The request to go to Ardoris happens nearly instantly upon arriving to Soltown. This is one of the paths that Arabella sets you on the moment you load the game.

Are they planning on providing tons of side-quests that will eventually unlock these "steps" and just figured to leave it unlocked for the time being or something? Because, if not, even if you were to provide a lot of side quests as filler but you don't lock these "steps" down, you'll be sending a ton of new players to their deaths trying to complete a story that the game specifically puts you on.

A recipe for frustration and disappointment.

You need some "whoa, hang on! Prove to me that you're the Avatar by doing these things for the people!" kind of quest-stoppers.

16. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

Gix this is leading to the end of the love path. there is still the truth path and courage path to compleat before we can do the final quest path The Path of the Oracle. due to be started in the next release.

the three paths when finished are supposed to be done altogether not one path at a time.
    with side, quests to complete all at your leisure.

17. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Here is what I know -

Sir_Michael likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

When I quest, I do one story/quest at a time. I don't binge-quest per area as if I had A.D.D. and the quests are specifically leading me to death traps.

All three paths start at level 1. So that tells me that I can pick do them one at a time. Leads to a death trap, turn around... pick another path... leads to death trap. Turn around... pick another path... leads to death trap.

So you can't be surprised that I'm confused when someone tells me "it's the climax of the story"... because I had no build up what-so-ever.

Thanks.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Sir_Michael and discipleofweb like this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Imagine a idealistic player who build his classic mage with 2-4 Schools and in cloth, advised to go there at level 50 or so and then grinds 5 levels, but no chance.
    Another 5 - no Chance.
    I did it with level 70 with my mage and the Lichs in that Room after Samael again speaks to you were damn hard to pull one after another and to kill.

Adjustment needed

Sir_Michael, Jens_T and discipleofweb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.