1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Partnering with NEVERDIE on their ICO for Etherium Block Chain Tokens

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Allow a connection between multi games , or allow a game to create a token like a COTO. You could create a COTO like token for a single game without useing this though so I would say it would only be good for multi game platforms

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Cross game currency without having to go through cash as an intermediary, okay I'll accept that as something coto cannot do.

The game creates cotos all the time, nothing special about instead dumping a specific key on your screen.

Or are you telling me my gaming computer and GPU are going to be mining these coins while I play? That is verging on botnet hijack behavior in my book even if they give me half of the mined coins.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Nobody said that. This is written no where.
    That's something you just plucked out of the air.

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  4. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

I do not think they would allow mining tokens it would be a instant death sentence lol.

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  5. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

It is something that just occurred to me when thinking about Whitestag's comment about creating COTO. COTO are created by adding an entry to an array somewhere while bitcoins are created very differently.

Once the question came to me it had to be asked as it is extremely valid.

Vooch, Time Lord, digriz and 2 others like this.
  6. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Even with bitcoin who would have bothered mining it if it had no real value.

The trouble would start once real value was tacked onto a token and it was allowed in multi games and traded . Like if the COTO was not controlled by Port but a free floating token used by several different games of several different companies or publishers.
    What a nightmare that would be plugging all the holes and that is if you could get the different publishers together on it... lol

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Its "Ethereum" btw and if you are going to be giving out blockchain type tokens, if the player doesnt hold the private keys, you will receive a shitstorm from the crypto-community. If you plan on creating some sort of exchange where you control all the tokens and private keys, it will be valueless imho, but people will still use it because most people dont care and have no clue how this stuff works which is a detriment to what cryptocurrency seeks to acheive, a decentralization of power. This is also another reason why I dont like ethereum, the main holders of the project's ether are J.P. Morgan, Microsoft and Intel.... they do not want decentralization. Smells rotten to the core. Gonna stick with my bitcoins kkthx.

Mordai, Vooch and Time Lord like this.
  8. Filter Bubble Algorithm

B

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  9. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  10. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

There will be no mining of these tokens, the Neverdie ICO specifies the total number created already. They could overlap with COTO's in their use, but as noted above they are not duplicable nor generated by the game at will (as COTOS could be) these are a finite resource in the world. Port now holds some of these as we are part of the ICO partnership. They have value (as they are being sold to coin investors as part of that ICO. Coin investors LIKE that they have a base value (as a usable game item) so they won't go to zero value like a currency could. We can give them to our players... or not. But it seems you might prefer we give you something of value vs let it rot in a wallet. Really think of it as gifts we now have that we can give to out players by whatever mechanic the consortium of products decides.

AGAIN: Job 1 - Make this Great Game. Job 2 - Market this great game. Job 3 - Think about the future (and potentially how to use these)

- Richard

11. Stephalan

Stephalan Avatar

Are you saying you will give us in game items for something that has actual real world money value? Nothing in this game has anything worth real money in the real world.

12. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Thank you for quickly clarifying this.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Just putting this out there... the Neverdie ICO ends on August 1st (my bday!), which means that right now you can buy Neverdie Coins or "NDC" for $0.25 each. The partner coin (this is a double ICO offering) is the Teleport Token or "TPT" and you can get those right now for $0.10 but that all expires on August 1st.

To purchase these coins is kind of a pain in the arse, but Neverdie has its own "wallet" where you can keep your coins that has a browser extension interface.

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for pushing the envelope with this new technology. Back in the Ultima days you always pushed the envelope with technology (often I waited to buy a newer PC due to a new Ultima coming out). Now with SotA you are continuing this trend.

I applaud your bravery and cannot wait until I see these new coins.

+1 @Lord British !! *Claps*

15. Net

Net Avatar

I would be happy with COTOs as a start.

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Not sure how I feel about this yet.

On one hand, I like that there may be an incentive or option for us players to earn virtual currency for playing the game... and also that Portalarium will/may get a small percentage of that value to help fund this game.

On the other hand, I don't know that I trust virtual currencies just yet. I know that the current banking system is basically just an account statement telling me how much USD $$ I have, but I also know that if I ever wanted to, I can just close the account and get the physical cash for it if I so desired. I don't know anything about cashing out a bitcoin/epherium/NDC/TPT/etc. and how I could convert that to a physical currency that I can hold in my hand or put under my mattress.

I'm also concerned that future game features (whether it be considered a necessity or just a fluff convenience item) will be obtainable ONLY with these virtual coins. If these will be usable as an alternative currency to the cash shop and/or IGG purchase or even craftable with in game resources, then I'm OK with it as just another option. But, I don't want to see any "exclusive" things that require ONLY these coins to get.

17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

What defines real-world value? To me, as long as someone outside of the game will pay cash for it, it has real-money value. You can go into the trading subforum and find lots of people doing RMT for COTOs and other items.

18. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I don't need to be rewarded with crypto currency, I just want to play SoTA. :)

The *real world* value to me? The kind of things no kind of currency can ever buy:

Happiness
    A sense of wonder
    Being a part of an awesome community
    Lowered blood pressure
    Better mental health
    Dopamine getting released in my brain - yum!

Make me a great game I can play into retirement and that is reward enough for me.

Chatele, Vooch, autodeath and 8 others like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You generally won't get that from Internet forums.

Chatele, Solazur, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  20. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I'm skeptical of cryptocurrency in general. But I am supportive of Portalarium in the spirit of innovation cautiously investigating its potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.