1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Partnering with NEVERDIE on their ICO for Etherium Block Chain Tokens

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That quote meant "between worlds" not local travel.

Always so pessimistic.

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yet, I think that's very likely to happen.

http://amevrica.com/

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You could be right. It's hard for me to say anything about the future with great confidence.

I've been right as many times as I've been wrong, during my life.

Of course, random people on the internet have a 100% accuracy record so luckily I don't have to think for myself. :)

Beaumaris, Vox Aquila and Time Lord like this.
  4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

While I have no use for crypto currency, I do have to say that I respect @Lord British for including us in this type of concept.

He and I once had a debate about space mining. I came across as a fearful old woman who was worried that mining on Mars would send an asteroid hurtling toward Earth...lol. (That is not the case, but in my frustration at not being able to fully explain why I was less than enthusiastic, I let him and the others at the table believe what they wanted.) In any case, my last question to Lord British was, "Who does space mining lift up?"

As I have been pondering this thread, I have been remembering that last question. "Who does it lift up?" It occurs to me that, much like SeedInvest, this is a potential opportunity for the SoTA community to get *lifted up* financially. It can be taken or left, embraced or declined because the flip side is that it could come to nothing or be a bust.

I invested in SeedInvest because that is an investment in something *real* - a real company that employs real people who are putting out a real product. I am grateful for the opportunity and will thank @Lord British right now - thanks LB!

If you are a novice investor who has ever tried to get in on an IPO, the deck is stacked against you. If you have no trading history, you can't just open an E-Trade account and buy shares of an IPO. You have to have a trading history and a certain number of trades under your belt or you are S.O.L. By the time you are allowed to buy the stock, it is no longer an IPO and has been listed on whatever stock exchange for X-amount of time. If the stock goes up in value, you end up paying more for your shares. At least that was my experience when trying to invest a small sum into an IPO.

I am less interested in cryto-currency (or an ICO) because it is binary code, zeroes and ones, a digital asset that as far as I understand, has no actual goods associated with it. I could be wrong, but in my mind, it isn't the same as digital assets that come as part of a product. It doesn't exist, it isn't real. Maybe I just like the smell of greenbacks too much? :p

When all is said and done though, my bottom line on this NeverDie concept is very simple - while I just want to play SoTA into retirement, I truly believe that LB is doing something heartfelt and potentially hugely beneficial for the SoTA community by including us in this cryto currency discussion.

***Edited for clarity

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Chatele, Vooch, Beaumaris and 5 others like this.
  5. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

The main reason I support alternative currencies (with the understanding that it's still a pioneering field, not something to be followed with blind enthusiasm) is its potential for improving quality of life issues for online workers who are often making less than minimum wage due to various real-world disadvantages, to whom time delays and fees associated with transferring funds between different services is more detrimentally impactful.

It's a huge benefit for the addon store to be offering Amazon Pay as a payment option, for example, which allows American workers on Mturk to be able to buy with their earnings directly instead of having to transfer money to PayPal or a bank account first. More currency options can hopefully open up more opportunities and functionality to others who can benefit.

And if a system can be tweaked to also open up some non-traditional employment options for people who would like to use their talents for providing services that enrich their gaming community (which is often an equivalent for a real-world social community for many with offline disadvantages), then that's even more win to me.

While I can't in honesty say whether or not it's good for gaming directly (that outcome is more likely to be decided by particular details of implementation rather than general philosophy), I do wholeheartedly believe it's a tremendous potential for good for the gaming community which I would hope also leads to good for the game.

Vooch, Beli, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Although the real solution to the situation you describe is to pay a living wage.

Chatele, Numa and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: That's the real core of this issue, "Indeed My Good Sister @Fionwyn Wyldemane :cool:" :D It's all about the money :)!

If we can imagine a gaming world environment that "pays-us-to-play", which is what both our Portalarium as well as NEVERDIE does, even on a small level, then we can further imagine an entire world slowly evolving into a player based economy, where one day it may actually equal a living wage :confused::) Maybe not within our own lifetimes, but in a distant future where games begin finding themselves within real working world environments. A world where something like that mundane keypunch job of today may have a game hooked up to it to boost employee output, yet also be providing gaming world token perk value where they can return home looking forward to playing their own games using the tokens that gained at the work place. Redeeming such value then not only helps at the work place, but in the player's own home with real world $ value through it's virtual value.

I myself can imagine such a place where retired persons can subsidize their income level by doing something they enjoy o_O Ops... "that's already here!" ... And any checking in our SOTA's marketplace can prove that, "for some", it is! ;) Though I may not be one of those players, or even would care to, "I could", and that's a real possibility from a real potential that already exists through example :D

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Krissa Lox likes this.
  8. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

By which time it has long since stopped being a game and become a job.

Chatele, Kambrius, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A job we more enjoy ;) Some people around the world are happy in their work. I'm currently working on my Avatar's skills so he can make more gold per hour... isn't everyone? :D~TL~

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I'm not. Farming gold is not worth my time as it is not fun and my spare time is worth more than $2/hr. How much will you enjoy being in the situation of "I have to farm and sell another 100 artifacts this week to pay my rent."

Chatele, Mykll, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

I can't shake the nagging feeling that this might be the first step in a grand scheme to allow "avatar portability" across virtual worlds, similar to:
    • landline and wireless phone number portability (enacted into law in my country in recent decades)
    • shared instant messaging protocols that arose to allow cross-site communication
    • interconnectivity of social media networks
    If so, then New Brittania isn't just a self-contained feudal world, but also a single realm, or country, in a larger, future world of interconnected MMO's. Imagine if your avatar could teleport into another company's MMO, along with your pocket of cryptocurrency.

Could this be the real reason behind the "Outlander" and portal concepts? Comparing the feature creep of the various funding mechanisms with the game design is starting to make me wonder. Is this game planning in the long-term to be funded by a tourist economy of other MMO Outlanders that teleport in and spend their cryptocurrency here?

If so, this has some real-world parallels and implications, some of which are terrifying. I'm not saying that this is the case (perhaps this is just an exploration of ideas as stated), but actions do have a loud voice.

Chatele, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  12. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Well, not in this particular case, at least in my opinion, but that goes into more detailed discussion about competitive vs cooperative economies that go beyond the scope of this thread. But I can PM you if you're genuinely interested.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Living beyond our means instead of seeing bonus $ as it's bonus intended purpose always leads to the term "spendthrift" ;)
    and our rent has to come from somewhere, so why not something more enjoyable than what we come to our games to escape from o_O?

[​IMG]
    There's no real difference at all'
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~;)

Solazur likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember when people were bot-farming gold in UO and selling it for $. I wondered if that was just supplementing their income or if it was their sole source of income. Either way, it's pretty sad to turn playing a game, which is fun, into a job, which is not.

Chatele, Mykll, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  15. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

For the record I have never bought gold, ore or anything else from the player market. Should I happen to need 100k IGG though I will NOT be farming it.
    Because by the time it gets to the point of having to farm 100+ artifacts a week to pay rent it won't be that enjoyable experience we play games to obtain.

Chatele, Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Well put

Chatele, Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

To continue the Ready Player One theory: SotA takes place in the OASIS.

Beli, Spartus and Time Lord like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

It's called a multiverse! Folks, get with it!

And in the single player Ultimas, we portaled ("Portalarium") between Britannia, Mars, Eodon, Earth, Pagan, etc., and met people there from other worlds yet. In some of these games, we could import our characters across the worlds if I remember correctly.

Solazur, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Can we say this all together o_O... :eek:"NBMC" The New Britannia Mining Company :confused:... I'm not downing them for it at all !!!!!!!! They're my economic heroes :p and they sure are having allot of fun at it :D

Having something that's virtual that has actual redeemable real world value may upset some people, because new concepts often do upset all our old models which we've come to rely on throughout the years.
    :eek: "Nobody Knows if Fort Knox Actually Has Any Actual Gold Left in It!" :confused:
    :eek: "Our USD Could Very Well Be Only a Virtual Imagined Value" :confused:
    :eek: "And We All Get Coupons From Our Local Real World Stores" :confused:

:rolleyes: So there's really no difference here, it's just adding value for our customer player base to enjoy :)
    "So what's the downside here? & What does anyone have against discount coupons?" o_O~TL~

:oops: "Maybe it's time for this @Roper Docholiday video :D Queue the music!"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Chatele, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Barugon like this.
  20. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

I actually have a copy of Ready Player One but never read it. Just got it out now--OASIS mentioned on page 1. Guess it is time to read it.

mass, smack and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.