1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Partnering with NEVERDIE on their ICO for Etherium Block Chain Tokens

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord British, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Hmm and here I thought you retired before 1/20/17

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Beware of Strangers Baring Gifts, Because it's Most Always Either One of Two Things" :cool::cool:...

That's the hidden Zen and laws of the world that's always been with us :D A soldier can never say no once they've enlisted and life is always handing us either the big gun or the good package to deal with o_O The big gun will always only be good for those left over after it's used and the good package will only be good if everyone gets to share it's wealth together. It all has to do with when something new arrives as a great opportunity and then up to those who are best suited to know how to access it's better parts for all of us. Lord British says it's a good new thing that we're going to explore, @Browncoat Jayson (with his fingerprints all over our SOTA Wiki to his credit) says he's headed down the trail to it... 2 better people anyone would be hard pressed to find says their in, "then I'm in too" :D because it does sound like a really good package for us all to be able to share our fun in :) As far as retirement goes... I'm just happy I'm free now and able to say "yes or no to whatever" and know that never again will I ever have to deliver the bad things in life to people who could have never manufactured those bad things for themselves. There's a good package being handed to us here and 2 really smart people we know leading our way into it, so how can I say no to 2 friends like that aye :D?

o_O Those planets up in our New Britannia skies could very well some day represent games/places that we can travel to some day through such adventures with Mr NEVERDIE's good package :)
    So, right or wrong, I'll take that good package and share my experiences with others as both my smarter dear friends are doing, because that what true friends do for true friends, deliver good packages :D~TL~:)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, my coins were in my NEVERDIE account as of this morning, so I'll write up a how-to-guide for investing. Probably be this evening before I can get it posted.

I'm... not sure that I agree.

Lord British said he will be "investigating" a way to use bitchain gaming currency, however he has not yet committed to adding it to SotA. He says it is too difficult for most players, and I agree. Not only is it complicated, but its fairly expensive; just buying some currency and moving it around ate a good chunk of it due to fees.
    I'm currently thinking that the process is just not viable for the mass market. I think Portalarium could implement something on their own that would provide real-world value, and wait for the bitchain market to mature. Something like:
    • Players can buy Gold CotOs in the Add-On Store, which can then be "claimed" at the bank as in-game rewards. (current implementation that converts real money to store credit to in-game currency)
    • Players can convert Gold CotOs (plus in-game gold) for Silver CotOs at the Obsidian Alchemists. Silver CotOs can then be "posted" at the bank to become Add-On Store credits. (new feature that converts in-game currency to store credit)
    • This whole process would then allow players to transfer items earned in-game to out-of-game credit, which can then be sold via the Market forum. (existing implementation to convert store credit to real money)
    I'd also highly suggest getting Gold CotOs on the list for purchase with Razer's zGold (and earns players credit toward buying Razer hardware). This is through a third party, of course, but is MUCH simpler than Ethereum.

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  4. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I question the security of this particular currency, and what would happen if another 30mil of them were to disappear.

Chatele likes this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

To be very clear we did NOT pay anything to participate in this partnership with Neverdie. Richard is on their advisory council and Portalarium has agreed to explore how to reward players with neverdie and teleport tokens. Zero Portalarium funds were spent in this process.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The security problem isn't with the currency itself but the manner in which it was stored.

Time Lord and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

In all things internet I now find myself less worried about sorting out right and wrong, and instead look to the guiding wisdom of an old adage ...

"Where's the Beef?"

This simple clarifying question is a real gem as it applies about equally as well to new crypto-currency, American politics, and certain fast food chain hamburgers.

Right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder. But beef. Now that's something. Follow the beef.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

LOL! Clara Peller FTW!

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Forging Ahead... Virtually in the Spirit of Ultima"
    http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Serpent_Isle_Exchange_Rate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_kill_points

"Dating as far back as 2014 here in our forums we have been discussing such currencies". Currently our own ingame gold has a real tradable value in $USD. A simple check into our forums marketplace verifies that fact. We've even had our own developers comment on this subject before.

Incentives are at the heart of all increases in values when discussing such ideas. The NEVERDIE system provides incentives through increasing values due to how many of what's being killed, which is a redeemable value for players to play the game. "There's nothing new within that concept model", as things like this have even taken place within our real world's markets. Positive actions produce positive results in currency values. The only thing I see NEVERDIE offering, is a supporting website, which we could build ourselves o_O

<insert wall of text here>
    I'm going to cut this post short because our SOTA has so many ways and has discussed so many ways that such currencies would be a valuable part of our game. The only thing missing, is game incentives which would drive any currency's rate of return in increased values.

There's nothing new in the concept, other than sharing such a thing with other games :oops:...
    and that our developers seem inspired to re-visit ideas that our own forums have been discussing from as far back as 2014 o_O

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

11. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

The 'beef''? Hmmm...

My take on the whole crypto-currency, Seedinvest, timeshares in New Britannia schemes is that cannibalism is the meta-game of Shroud of the Avatar. Participate at your own risk. Oh, and about that Kool-Aid in the punch bowl called Cult of Personality Flavor... it tastes of nostalgia mixed in with hucksterism. I'd avoid it as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

This is posted now. Enjoy.

13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I have no idea what any of this means. It's like trying to understand Chinese. Can someone explain what all of this means...?

14. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

My understanding (all - please correct me) is:
    Portalarium / RG entered into a partnership with Neverdie - at no financial cost. It's more a marketing / idea exchange thing
    Neverdie is trying to establish a cross-game / cross-publisher infrastructure to keep/use tokens & possibly information for users
    - This is done using the block-chain technology
    Currently Portalarium doesn't know how to implement this into the game, at later points they may figure it out.

My personal take - PR & interesting idea; no direct or short-term tangible impact on SotA.
    Mid-term impact could be that the "idea" of what a game is changes to something else what I have in mind. But that is an individual issue and probably more "old school" vs "new school" :)

The idea of a digital representation of the player (or Avatar in the Ultima games) is interesting. The book "Ready Player One" extended this to a dystopian real world future where much of the live took place in a VR with different game characteristics. In theory this only works if there is a data infrastructure that bridges all worlds/publishers/games and Neverdie could go in that direction.

15. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

B

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  16. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Numa, Solazur and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

The rest of your rant is just that. Yes, the bank bailout was serious BS, but that has nothing to do with insurance.

The entire purpose of the blockchain is that multiple nodes can verify a transaction has occurred, so taking your wallet offline makes you safe... but also unable to pay. BitCoin and Ethereum themselves did not get hacked, but BTC and ETH have been stolen from wallets, which is no different than your bank getting robbed. Except the government will return the bank's money, not your wallet.

Good for you. Feel free to make a post explaining how to do it. I stumbled my way through this, and its a pain. Obviously you must have a better way.

David Thompson likes this.
  18. illutian

illutian Avatar

Question, would SotA also be looking to do an ICO to further fund development? :O

Or is this partnership with NEVERDIE going to go beyond just advising? As in Shroud would be joining the Entropia Universe platform (which ROCKtopia is a part of)?

EDIT: There's 7 pages, apologies if this is already asked.

---Slight Rant, but in line with the whole question about Real Money for Virtual Goods/Services---

I, for one, don't see a reason I shouldn't get paid in real money for the things I do online. It's my time, and if I'm doing something and someone else wants to pay me for it. Why not let them....why does 'ingame currency' have to be limited to 'ingame'?
    Ultimately, I look at it like this:

You'll pay me to drive your ass to places. But you won't pay me to run your ass through a dungeon. -- What kind of bastardized logic is that.

The only reason why 'name-brand' companies (ie Blizzard) don't allow RMT (beyond their game time tokens) is because of the taxes, laws (ie child labor laws), and this ass-backwards mentality that if it's not a stereotypical "real job" you shouldn't get paid for it (a la YouTubers and Twitch Streamers -- which if funny, because Sports Casters is a "real job"; THEY JUST SIT THERE AND COMMENT ON THE PLAYS!)

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is purely philosophical, a game in my definition is an escape from RL just to have fun for fun's sake. I pay for games with the same budget I use for vacation.

If I am in a game surrounded by people whose only motivation is to make a living on me, I feel betrayed. It is more acceptable for someone to screw me over in game for their release, like ganking, than to pretend to be my friend to milk me for money.

The day that gaming turns into a job, is the day I chose something else to do.

These coins are nothing more than tax evasion. And we all know that piper is coming home to get paid sooner or later.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Chatele and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Hmm, I guess regardless of why someone is screwing me over, I'm not going to be happy about it. Motivation isn't a factor in my outrage.

Which is why I quit EverQuest. I hate raiding.

Chatele and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.