1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Policy Change: QA Server and Release Instructions Early Drafts Open to All (starting with R45)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Due to the potential economic and gameplay advantages of access to the QA server, QA Bug Forums, and Release Instructions prior to a Release we are no longer going to make those exclusive to Dev+. Starting with next release (Release 45) access to the QA server, QA Bug Forums and early drafts of the Release Instructions will be available to ALL paying backers regardless of level. This will put everyone on a level playing field and remove any potential advantages.

Please accept our sincere apologies that our previous policy has allowed some players to gain advantage over others. This was entirely our fault and we hope to avoid this kind of advantage from taking place in the future. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on this matter and alerted us to the problem so that we could change our policy.

NOTE: Dev+ Forums and access to them will remain unchanged. Only access to the QA servers (and associated bug forums) is changing.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Great.

Would it be possible to stop announcing massive changes weeks before the changes will go into effect? I see that as an equally important issue. I can think of multiple instances where players knew a change was coming and abused the mechanics for weeks (or even months) before the change went in to fix the problem. That's not good for our economy either.

I understand and appreciate the want to get feedback on large changes. But I don't like how it's often communicated in ways that allow a small portion of our player base to min/max the hell out of the game for their own advantage at the expense of people that just want to play a good and balanced game.

4. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

Well, not sure what Dev+ will mean anymore honestly. This is the one thing I was hoping would NOT be the case.

3devious, Bushmaster, Freeman and 2 others like this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good move!

Its time for this.

Stundorn, Womby, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am undecided.
    I understand why this change is important.
    But I can as well understand everybody that is going to be pissed now because dev+ is non existing anymore from r45.

7. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

It is a good change, however I do think Dev+ needs to be reviewed for some sort of cost balance. Many players bought very expensive bundles and pledges to get to that level for a reason. I know, I did. Slowly, things like Daily Standups were moved to General, and posts about things to come (with discussions on them) just did not happen anymore.

We do get previews to Update of the Avatar posts, but Dev+ is no longer what we bought into.

I really do understand why this change is needed and honestly I can't argue with that, but an adjustment of some sort does need to be made to make Dev+ worth the cost investment again. Time moves forward and things change, but just please don't push aside what we pledged to.

niteowl57, nonaware, 3devious and 7 others like this.
  8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im sad. This really is a big disappointment.

Bushmaster likes this.
  9. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

No apology needed, stuff happens that is overseen always, especially when up to now it is something that didn't really matter, taking the correct action when needed is what matters and this announcement proves that. Thank you.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Life ain't that easy.

Spoon and Juvir like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Unity Assets! The true tangible of Dev+, may it happen to a grand scale someday.

I approve of the above move. It was causing a lot of unnecessary heartburn to have the upcoming changes secret. And the QA server being locked was lowering our eyes on, and probably causing extra patches to the live server.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So what exactly is Dev+ anymore anyway? When was the last time we had an asset pack?

Koldar, 3devious, royalsexy and 6 others like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

That's needlessly insulting.

The whole idea behind DEV+ was to help QA the game and the design of the game. Although I'm in favor of expanding that, you don't need to say things like that to point your finger at people that may have good intentions for not exposing information to the masses. I can think of one very important reason, the masses are not very good with information or changes.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Solazur and Juvir like this.
  14. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

I am NOT in favor of this Policy Change.

15. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Are the Unity assets really available to all Dev+ backers? I had gotten the impression the rights to them had expired with the actual Developer pledge tier and have been honoring that since I didn't find Shroud till after that expiration.

16. Stephalan

Stephalan Avatar

The game has been live for a year now. Everyone for the past year that has had access to this has had an advantage. How do you plan to rectify this with the people that haven't had knowledge about the changes?

Kaisa and Vagabond Sam like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

By NOT doing a wipe.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Solazur and Juvir like this.
  18. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I am torn - opening QA to the playerbase could be good for bug testing. Although it takes away the last tangible Dev+ perk - I am not too hung up about that.

However, this particular incident on economic rebalancing could have been solved much easier by not disclosing it altogether.
    Simple spawn-rate changes or cost changes probably don't need extensive testing or test metrics. They could just roll out. So for the obsidian chips issue not disclosing it before R44 would have been the better strategy.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

If my memory serves me right you are correct.
    And sorry to be that plain but at the moment they aren't worth the effort. Last update to them is ages ago. And tbh it isn't why I backed dev +.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ach. Don't get baited by b/s like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.