1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Policy Change: QA Server and Release Instructions Early Drafts Open to All (starting with R45)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

I don't think we should point the finger at players/backers either. I think the major problem was that folks had different perceptions about what Dev+ should mean because it was not explicitly stated what it was and what it wasn't. I really hope they take away a lot of lessons in communication from Epi 1, so that when work on Epi 2 happens, there will be very few complaints regarding expectations.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Numa and Spoon like this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

That's making a rather sweeping statement. Why in your experience shouldn't the (masses=majority) be entitled to be on the same playing field as the ones whose only entry to this club is spending up to this point XX amount of $$.

Dev+ was useful and still can be. Ideas of design and general roadmap can still be talked over with the larger backers, but in a game with RMT and now when we are in persistence, economy changes should be open to all and not just the select few.

Kaisa and Trina like this.
  3. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Ah, ok. Well thanks for the information :)

4. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

This is the right call. Thank you.

5. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

So we take away a general backer's ability to give feedback and ideas, and give it to Dev+ only? Don't give roadmaps to general backers? Yeah, that will go over well...

6. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Big changes need to be announced. How soon is up for endless debate but one thing that isn't debatable is that once these things go public, if you decide not to utilize them to your advantage (for literally any reason) you decide to be at a disadvantage to those that do. Once the information is made public, everyone's on equal ground. It's nobody's problem but yours that you weren't willing to go the extra mile to learn the most efficient/best way to do something before it was changed.

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This is a good step in the right direction.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Never said that.

I said the masses were horrible at processing information and even worse at handling changes.

I also said I was in favor of this change. But this is a great example of how information can be confused and nuance is lost. Everything becomes an "either or" proposition. You're either with us or you're against us. The world doesn't actually work that way, problems are often more complex than that, however the masses don't usually understand or appreciate that.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As long as everyone gets to abuse it, who cares what happens to the economy? Is that what you're saying?

Because I'd rather have an economy (or combat system, whatever) where major changes are not abused for months, even if it's done by everyone it doesn't make it right.

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Glad to finally see this change be made. It makes sense that since persistance has been called (much to the objection of many, myself included). Does this mean too, that us non Dev+ backers are able to achieve the Dev+ rewards that QA testers are able to get, like the Ant Farm, and the Bug Chair?

11. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

FWIW It was the big reason I jumped from regular to Dev+. The supposed view of the game development process was another. Very quickly that became available to everyone, which I felt a little bait and switched, but ultimately thought that would be fine. The lack of assert packs has been another huge disappointment in this whole process. It was originally suggested that we'd have pretty much all of them except some content spoilery stuff.

I don't understand why they aren't giving them to dev+ backers and selling them in the Asset Store. I'm not sure how much money they'd make on that, but with as much as they're begging for money I can't believe they'd turn down any avenue to make a little more.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Almost sounds like when the game goes public, there should be a second server free of real money transaction.

So we can get a real old school gaming experience.

Right? Isn't that what everyone wanted ?

13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

What's an asset pack?

14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Hmmm..No...I'm totally for incorporating all to the same level of information and input into the game. Dev+ is a perk that has been paid for, or included within pledges, and still needs a function. By maybe giving some information( not economy related), slightly earlier than on the 'main' forums can/may keep its exclusivity many call for.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Heh. They could start giving asset packs on Dev+ again.

Maybe eventually re-open asset submissions for all backers. ( @Bowen Bloodgood )

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. guardianspif

guardianspif Avatar

all right my dev+ isent what it was wheres my compensory PET and make it glow like a light source!!!

17. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

omg my basic account isn't like a dev+ account where's my free access to what they paid for and make it snappy!!!

that's what that sounded like.

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I know exactly why. A large amount of their content isn't created directly from scratch. If it's based on something they bought from the asset store, then I don't believe they can redistribute or resell it. In the event that some might be OK, there is still work involved with doing it that they just don't want to dedicate to it right now.

An asset pack was to be parts of the game, like models, code, skins, icons, etc that Dev+ backers were to get as part of their pledge level. They could use those things when making their own games. Unfortunately, there weren't many of them released and that perk seems to have disappeared.

Freeman and Sir_Michael like this.
  19. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Thank you

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It's seemed like the dev+ people were not any better on whole at accepting changes than the non-dev+ folk.

The only group of people i've found to be most accepting of change are the newer people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.