1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Policy Change: QA Server and Release Instructions Early Drafts Open to All (starting with R45)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I upgraded to Dev+ level because I wanted to help find more bugs earlier (and, I won't lie, I wanted the Dev+ only testing rewards), I've had 8 months of that so I won't be too burned if there's no value adjustment, I was quite happy with all the other stuff I got as far as value for money is concerned. People who bought those pledges more recently could be offered some store credit as compensation? Going forward I don't think it's a problem as long as the bundles pages are updated to reflect the change.

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Understandable change, as a (former?) Dev+ backer, I am ok with this, as it marks the transition towards the consumer release. Its a milestone to mark the end of the alpha days!

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

To be clear the bundles have never mentioned the QA server. They have only ever mentioned access to the Dev+ forums.

4. guardianspif

guardianspif Avatar

Wait how about a recipe like the elderberry dye????
    exclusive to dev+? mabe a food???? with good regen

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know I harped on this very loudly but QA and QA bugs should stay Dev+ you are going to get overwhelmed. Just need more focus on the potential economic (MAJOR ISSUE) and gameplay (minor) issue.

The economic effects are all that really needed to be dealt with

game play on QA Is pretty much irrelevant as it does not carry over.

The real problem was that there was a very significant change that affected the economy, are you going to deal with those that abused this knowledge? Bought cheap to sell high, bought a ton to use since it amounts are going up.

Fixing the issues is one thing TY, dealing with abusers is another.

QA and QA bugs can stay Dev+

If you consider the Ant farms and stuff for reporting a bug a major issue then yes.

But you all know exactly what the whole topic was about and that is not changing nor being delt with, and some are truly taking MASSIVE advantage of it.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i thought there was an advantage to the DEVS in keeping dev+ small: it contained the uproar over proposed changes to a smaller group to deal with, to work out better solutions or yank the change before it goes live entirely. that's happened several times. now the devs will have to deal with ALL of us over-reacting and threatening to pack up our marbles and go home. this will take more time away from development and be worse for their mental health.

don't open dev+ to everyone, take things OUT of dev+ that shouldn't be exposed to ANYONE early.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

+1000

or just release economy affecting changes publically.

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@DarkStarr

Is the staff ready to accept the fresh eyes?

9. Net

Net Avatar

I think it is a good thing.

I believe most people will rush in to QA, see how buggeed it is, post a lot of threads about it and three releases down the road only people interested in testing and few looking for possible advantage to be gained of upcoming changes will be in. Lot of people with Dev+ access does not bother to log in to QA to test. I hope this change will eventually bring more people to QA to actually test stuff, it seemed mostly dead to me. And I will be able to test things with my alt accounts which I was unable to do prior to this change.

I still think that the earliest QA releases should be open to those who actually do report bugs properly. I really like model of Staar Citizen, when they open their "QA" server (known as PTU - Public Test Universe) first to peopel who signed NDA (and were selected from the people who did most bug reports, then to those who had at least one bug report last release, then to people who paid most money and then to everyone.

So everyone get to play on the test server, but the testing scales from small group of people that is most interested in testing to everyone. All phases are important, you cannot do some tests with only few people, but in a really buggy build some peole do get in the way of testing:)

royalsexy, Spoon and FrostII like this.
  10. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I think we should get platinum canes and a monocle in recognition of our now grandfathered status. :)

Oh ...I'd also think it'd be interesting to see a graph showing what % of dev+ backers have actually been logging gin to QA

@DarkStarr

Tbh , dev+ has become less and less meaningful since persistence...but at the end of the day we need a good balanced product and I have tossed out the idea of opening up QA because of my feeling (based on my subjective experience with how many bugs make it into releases) that people weren't using QA. I can understand that as well though in a persistent world. I mean hey.. I only have so many hours a day I can devote to the game. Time spent on QA is time I'm falling behind on Live.

I DO think there needs to be some type of a Thank You for your support thing though because I understand how many will feel screwed which I would submit might not be the wisest sentiment to foster.. particularly when we have both hands stretched out asking for yet more bucks via seedinvest.

Btw.. LOOT sucks. How about fixing that.. you know rewards.... so we get people interested in playing?

-sol

11. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

@DarkStarr to be fair, it does say exactly that. But what does that mean exactly now? Other than QA server upcoming change discussion, nothing else in the Dev+ forums is even used anymore. Asset packs are expired and out of date, tech+ section hasn't been updated in quite some time. Preview screenshots of WIP scenes are now posted publicly to the website, as well as livestreams of the upcoming changes. There's nothing in that forum section now that isn't going to be in the general forums.

Selene and Solazur like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah well anyway you just faded out pretty much every benefit of dev+ over the last year.

13. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Amen to that one

Stundorn and Brass Knuckles like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@DarkStarr
    Would you be willing to have Chris use his metrics data to round up all of certain items that changed hands since the R44 Release Notes hit Dev+ ( oh, and I am a Dev+ btw) and put them back into the hands of whoever sold them without that knowledge.
    Revert those transactions. Put the items back and whoever bought them also gets their gold back into their banks.
    After that, have Chris delay the change announced until R45.
    That would be a start to mending this current damage, and something like it SHOULD have been done with the control point xp abuses right after wipe ........

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    amaasing likes this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What ur missing is this was not only spread all over discord but also all over guild chats. Also this information was posted in general fourms and was up two days.

This paticular thing is over the misteak was made.

They have a great idea inplace to reduce this in the future.

The real disadvantaged was to the guildless and there is no eula violation for seeing a potential market and getting in on it.

Im pretty happy with the situation now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I Dev+ approve of this change. So many changes will be coming over the next few years for the devs to be able to keep track of and predict what will or will not give someone an advantage.

I like the open/honest policy.

After four years of having Dev+ I don't feel the remotest sense of loss, devaluation of my pledge, or depreciation of my overall experience.

17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

That's true, but for the entire time I've been a backer the two have been synonymous.

Solazur and Lazarus Long like this.
  18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I am not opposed to the change, as to me it's a matter of if the current staff size can handle the influx of new eyes.

I suppose the existing pre-qualifying volunteer system will work well to keep the expansion in check...

Sir_Michael likes this.
  19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'm a Dev+ and I like this change. Good decision @DarkStarr !

20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Me too, because then when I think to myself "I'll go check out this new thing" there'll be a fighting chance I have a friend in teleport range :)

Alleine Dragonfyre, Solazur and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.