Are We A MMO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trina, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trina

Trina Avatar

Back in 2014 when I started following SotA calling it MMORPG was taboo. However, with the current Facebook adds, it seems we might be an MMO now, a sandbox MMO at that. Perhaps there is a difference between MMO and MMORPG? My understanding was that the MMO was Massive Multiplayer Online and RPG was Role Playing Game. So we are a sandbox MMO and a single player RPG it seems. Is SotA evolving and/or trying to stay competitive? Can we call ourselves an MMORPG now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Derium, Salix, Bow Vale and 1 other person like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Most of the talk on the forums is about the mmo aspect, but it is indeed a single player/mmo hybrid

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is any game labeled MMO really an MMO? All depends on perspective.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It was not announced as a MMORPG/MMO back when the single player part and story still were important. But feedback from players made it into a MMO/MMORPG.

Salix, Ice Queen, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm confused by the RPG part in general.
    Anyone can RP at any time, so I don't understand the issue in the OP...

Solazur and MrBlight like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

It is like Milk or Malk?

Is it MMO or MMORPG??

At the end , grin, we can freak out about it.

Watch:

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Correction, feedback from CERTAIN players who stand to profit from RMT, and the MMO part has only be prioritized because it brought the most funding, can't really blame anyone in the dev team for that.

For a long time I thought that we were so niche that those shady RMT actors would skip... but my worst fears have indeed become true.

Salix and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  8. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Yes.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not exactly... for it to be a RPG we would need to have roles... and right now everyone is "another" avatar and we have no definite roles in the MMO portion of the game, we follow the same quests and the same storyline, to the same end game.

As I said in other threads, I could be the most virtuous player in the whole game and people would still treat me the same as any other fool who does not even bother following the game ethos.

Right now we have a MMO medieval social sims. The goal is to make it into a RPG, but that requires event moderation, game masters and a dynamic storyline.

Very complex to achieve in the context that most people won't rest until the sims is perfectly balanced.

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

BTW I also think UO turned into a social sims... there are events sure but noone has any role to play in them, they're basically free for all moderated PvE matches, which is fun for a while but lacks any soul.

11. Trina

Trina Avatar

All I am saying is that back in 2014 people on social media playing/advertising the game were instructed by Port and even LB directly that SotA was not an MMO and not to call it one. Now that Port is using MMO in their advertising, I am wondering if something changed and now SotA is an MMO where before it was lacking something to prevent it from being an MMO, whatever that something may have been.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Originally, logic was to be distributed to the client machines so that they didn't need a central set of servers to run everything. That's why they didn't want it called an MMO. You'd be playing with a subset of the population based on your exposure choices. The idea was that Port would handle transactions to make sure things were secure, etc, but the scenes were sharded on the clients and the processing offloaded to them. However, this was a larger security & privacy issue than they foresaw, and the easiest solution was to go back to the traditional MMO model where they run the instances.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Many might disagree but during the Kickstarter focus was set on single player with coop and story. SotA was said to not be a MMORPG because there were not massive amounts of players meant to play together in one scene.
    Somehow down the line this changed. More and more MMO features crept in, more MMO fans wanted the game to become a MMO and single player, coop and story got pushed into the background.
    Now SotA has become a MMORPG and is advertised as such.

Salix likes this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

RPG means a game uses specific game mechanics that convey skills onto the game character independent of the player. So, a shooter could be an MMO, but since it relies on the twitch skill of a player, it's not an RPG (even if you do some role playing). Action RPGs tend to blur that line a bit, combining character skill with player skill, but character skill (independent of player skill) needs to be a sentinel component of game design for something to be an RPG. Source: Decades of discussing what makes an RPG with nerds on the internet. :p

FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yupp.

16. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

SOTA has always been an MMORPG. Just because people didn't want to call it that for some odd reason doesn't make it less so.

17. Net

Net Avatar

...the Sandbox MMO & Single-Player RPG...
    means the Sandbox (MMO & Single-Player) RPG .... MMORPG & Single-Player RPG

It is not (only) MMO, it is also Single player, even offline.

18. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

Two most relevant pieces of info from kickstarter

So they didn't want to call it an MMO, but it would still feel like an MMO.

Trina and FrostII like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... I disagree... I was there for the Kickstarter, and have no recollection of the single player game being the focus.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think some of what was said could have been interpreted in multiple ways, and those who wanted a single-player game could read that into it. I'm not saying it was intentional, just that it was my observation based on what people said they were looking for in the early version of the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.