Are We A MMO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trina, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yes we do, our role is the avatar of the prophecy. The hero that saves the titans, etc

SmokerKGB likes this.
  2. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

Those terms mean very little nowadays.

Most self-proclaimed MMO "RPGs" aren't really RPGs at all: WoW, LOTRO, SWTOR, Rift and all those other WoW-clones. They are MMOs, yes, but more akin to Action games. Just because they have swords and dragons doesn't mean it's an actual RPG. Their gameplay and story are usually very streamlined and you don't interact and affect the world around you in a meaningful way that will affect every other player's experience of the same world.

On the other hand we have lobby-based games, and team-based games (of 10 or 20 players simultaneously), like World of Tanks and such, calling themselves "MMOs." They're not, really. Just because everyone connects to the same lobby server before starting a match doesn't male it an MMO if at gameplay level it's just a small group of people on multiplayer.

That said, o course not being an MMO, or not being an RPG, doesn't make the game bad or worse in any way. It's just that those terms have been so misuded that they don't mean much nowadays.

3. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Are We A MMO?

Yes, an minimal minority onlinegame.
    It's dead, you all know it.
    Bye, bye 1300€...

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I agree

5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

.... are you serious?
    Let me help your memory a bit, straight from the Kickstarter campaign. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0)

Right near the top of the campaign page, in the section "What Is Shroud of the Avatar?"

The VERY FIRST 3 bullet points are as follows:

I mean, come on. No matter how you feel about this game being an MMO now or whether the story was important to you... it is simply a fact that during the kickstarter that the story WAS a main focus, if not THE main focus.

Edit: and before anyone accuses me of just cherrypicking those 3 points, click the link and explore the campaign yourself. All throughout, there is a focus on the story, I just picked those examples because they are front and center in the description of what the game is.

Trina and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh, so everyone wants to be me ? :)

I'm fine with that... nothing exeptional about old Ahu. But it makes no sense in a MMO. Everybody can't save the titans... thats not a role, thats following the single player story :)

@Bowen Bloodgood

:p

Stundorn and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

A card board box is an RPG with that loose of a definition. My kids prove that all the time.

The expectation of a story driven RPG is that the game provides a vehicle for RP.

When MMO's came into the picture the RPG definition got clouded. Sandbox single player would not go very far.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Even if many of your posts burn like cayenne, I'm so glad you decided to remain on the forums :)

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Single player story, which is the RPG part ^^

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

Player 1: "Hey, I just saved the Titans."
    Player 2: "Rats, I wanted to save the Titans."
    Player 1: "Don't worry, they get into trouble all the time and need rescuing frequently."
    Player 3: "Hey guys, guess what, I just saved the Titans!"
    Player 1: "See what I mean, always in trouble."
    Player 2: "Wait, something's come up in my journal...Yes! The Titans need saving!"
    Player 2 runs off to do the quest.
    Player 1: "Try getting them to wear helmets this time...maybe give us a little break...sheesh."

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And I'm going to enjoy it upon release I'm sure :)

I have not a single doubt in Portalarium being the best in what they do... I have never invested as much as I have here if I combine ALL games I ever played/backed.

So we have a single player RPG that you can play online with friends ! Great... lets forget about the MMORPG part for now :p

In fact I did my homework and the closest thing is some UO freeshards, who we should have paid more attention to, because some of them have been going for 10 years and still have a strong, loyal playerbase.

Some are so much more advanced than EA's UO with so much more content and custom graphics and scripts that it makes you wonder.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'm sure most will be disagreeing with this.

It was very clear that online with the choice to play with everyone, friends only, or solo, was the preferred mode of play. Even when solo, there are still impacts from everyone when online.

IMO, the fight for a label that is not MMO just isn't worth the fight. If the potential customer is googling their next game why would you not have the MMO meta tag putting SotA on their results. Seen plenty of meta tags on games that shouldn't have them. (Fable - open world... I think not)

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Personally, I'm very happy it's so MMO-ish. That's what I came to play :)

Luca Xante likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Everybody needs a guardian companion :) Look what it did to me :D

[​IMG]

15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, It's "Selective Multi Play" always has been... It's the members that are confused and trying to make it different (or should I say "something it's not")...

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

whoa!

17. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

An RPG is a game where not only do you take on a role or the roles of the characters you created, but therein lies a series of choices that your character makes which effects them, the story, the world around them, etc. You need not have to be in RP mode all the time for it to be an RPG. While that definition may ruffle feathers when thinking of other MMO's, FPS's, that may not fall into the traditional fantasy setting RPG, they are still RPGs. So yeah this is an MMO and an MMORPG. MMO just means it can support a large number of players online, in some fashion that they are either in the same world, setting, or different servers of the same game.

18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

@Trina At this point im not even sure we can call ourselves a game.

Sure on the surface it has the bare bones of a game. Skills, Character creation, housing, etc.... but what it lacks is guts. I know some people play quite a bit and thats fantastic. be ready for the disclaimer though, we are still in testing. Game has not been released and please buy this or support that for future development. Everything the game is lacking now is coming.... to be honest i have heard some version of that line for over a year now. some people have heard it even longer. Is this an MMO?

Maybe, depends on what defines multi player... if you consider 2 or more people but less than like 150 an MMO then sure it is.... oh out of that 150 you may see 3-4 people. Is it single player? Well no because you have to be online to play it.... very innovative, its an online MMORPG with none of the nuts and bolts of an online game(other than logging in), its a single player game with none of the content you would expect in a single player game. So im not sure what the correct acronym for that is.

In my personal opinion and please be sure to note this is not fact i think they focused too much on trying to be unique etc and forgot the basics. I still have no idea how anyone can spends hours upon hours in this game other than its current state... the only answer i can think of is the community. I have met some awesome people, but my game time is limited to i tend to like to actually play a game when i do versus chatting.

To be honest, if RG and SL were not having their names plastered all over this project the wic would have gone out a long time ago. I dont think any other game would be given the slack, and patience SOTA has received so far and keep in mind in the scheme of things the amount of core backers compared to the gaming community is very small, and very niche. I have to say when i first heard of crowd funded games i was super excited. however, im still awaiting to see a huge success with it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As much as they tried to make the story fit an online experience, it is still a single player story. Some of the dialogue suggests that yes.. so many Avatars.. but YOU are the ONE AND ONLY.. and it just can't work like that unless everyone accepts it as keeps their one and onlyness to themselves.

What Portalarium REALLY needs.. are two parallel storylines. One for single player (though it should still be playable online).. and an on-going story (or stories) managed by live staff who could create temporary in-game quests as well as post backstory and run events. The latter would allow everyone to not only be involved, but to actually share their experiences without messing with other people's single player story experience.

Cordelayne, Trina, Jens_T and 3 others like this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Been saying it since around R10... You know whats scary ?

The more I read your threads the more I agree with you on many issues including player driven economy which is crucial to a true MMORPG. :D

FrostII and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.