Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gating the Main Story Line Quests

Discussion in 'Release 43 Feedback Forum' started by Vyrin, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Many new players, and even those relatively experience in SotA, are going to encounter frustration with the combat in the main story line. It requires a sufficiently high adventurer level. (At least for love and courage)

See this thread for an example: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/frustrated.95892/page-2

I'm thinking the 3 paths should be gated. Early on, the quest givers could remark that you don't seem up to the task if you aren't level... 70,75,80+? It makes sense to me from a story perspective (why would wise and thoughtful leaders entrust dangerous tasks to newly arrived avatars?), and would also give a purpose to the huge amount of grinding you need to do to get to a level sufficient for the combat in the path of love and path of courage.

Cordelayne, Acred, Numa and 2 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

"Oh, there are undead pounding at the gates and they want to kill everyone in town. Also there is a murderer on the loose. But no, you have to become more experienced before you can help us. The undead will still pound at the door in two weeks and the murderer won't kill anone else for sure until you have a sufficient level to find him..." ;)
    I don't like such gated experiences. It takes the excitement and urgency out of a story.

Instead the quests should scale to the level just like it is the case in The Elder Scrolls Online.

Salix, Cordelayne and Vyrin like this.
  3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I don't think scaling is the only option... a ton of solo RPGs match your character progression to the difficulty of the new areas available. Plus, scaling doesn't seem quite right if a completely new avatar can waltz in and confront the most difficult parts of the world. Especially since the questing of the main story line leads to almost NO character progression. Scaling is not realistic or believable or good for the story in my mind with the way the paths are now.

Realistically we can't expect any complex solution. That's the assumption I'm working under. So consider that what you say is the problem is going to exist no matter what. To me, it's better to force the grind and waiting before the quest starts than in the middle. In the way it is right now, and probably will be at "release", you get to a certain point in the path of love or courage and realize you aren't high enough level. So you have to stop IN THE MIDDLE of the story and do your grinding before you can come back. It is far worse to see Samael waiting outside of Malice and say, "Sorry, I will come back in a month when I am stronger to help you. Wait here." Far worse than being told in Ardoris that you need to get stronger.

Cordelayne and Acred like this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

@Vyrin Good points my friend. The only caveat I have is with the Path of Courage. I started playing the offline story from the very beginning and was able to complete Courage and Truth at level 30. Granted I was in full plate armor and had the help of good old Fiona FitzOwen (only companion we have currently). After completion of both these and both "outskirts" scenes I am level 38. I tried to do Love but am stuck at Midras ruins, I just get slaughtered, but that's ok because I have a few side quests to complete.

To your point, the game is REALLY grindy, and I absolutely hate that. What I have been enjoying about playing offline, is that even though it's basically a "walking adventure/visual novel", the story still flowed and there was no need for grinding, which I hate (did I already mention that, lol). My hope for SotA is that they keep adding in side quests that level you appropriately without having to grind, unless you want to.

Moreover, your point of expecting a simple, non-complex solution is good one. I totally agree with you here, keep it simple stupid, right? In my opinion (whatever that's worth) side quests are a "simpler" solution that add intrinsic value through new lore and player enjoyment. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Vyrin and discipleofweb like this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think the difficulty should gate the content. If you aren't strong enough to get through it, go get stronger, come back and try again. :)

I learned this in Dragon Warrior.

Edit:
    Though, yes, it wouldn't be out of place for NPCs to comment that you might need more experience, but hey "Have fun storming the castle!"

Fister Magee likes this.
  6. mass

mass Avatar

The story content should be balanced such that simply by playing through it *mostly* prepares you for the next step with minimal extraneous grind.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

So, so much this. There are not nearly enough side quests to make the game interesting. Once those start getting added, there will be no reason to gate the main storyline.

Yes, you may feel the pressure to help stop the horde of undead, as presented in the Love storyline. However, while the need is pressing, is it not also important to stop the vigilantes and bandits, push back against the Ebon Cult, discover why the normally secluded wolves and bears are being riled, and try to prevent war?

If everything is presented well, everything will have a feeling of time sensitivity. This allows you to get sucked into multiple viewpoints, and not even realize the difference between a main storyline quest and a side quest. I think @Lum the Mad can handle it.

8. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I hope they have the phasing technology now in place to at least create some illusion that finishing quest has some impact.
    I recall they were working on it a few releases ago (when the waving quest marker was introduced) but haven't really seen anything in game.
    But I agree, good quest design can mitigate some of the problems of leveling up. Another quick fix would be to change the story to reduce some urgency. I.e. The undead were fought back and while the battle was costly no imminent big threat exists. This would allow for a more relaxed story line without removing some urgency.

Vyrin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.