1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q3 2017 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

With the amount of cash they pull in every telethon, one thing that is 99.99% assured is that there will be another one. ;)

The next one should be a fall/winter telethon, coming soon.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The next one (the actual Summer Telethon Part 2) should be August 22, according to my notes.

That's the day after the eclipse, FWIW.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  3. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

What is going on with the 2 year plan?

4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We were at Comic Con last week and R44 is going out this week so haven't had time. Next week we hope to start putting serious time into it and maybe even start posting some early drafts.

Chatele, Hornpipe, Arcanoxer and 7 others like this.
  5. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Is "finish crafting" on it?

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes and "not say what I really want to on the forums" is on there too. :)

7. killahsin

killahsin Avatar

Dude don't sweat the critique just keep making and refreshing stuff and doing your thing. You guys/gals have come a long way.

Bow Vale likes this.
  8. juberobo1

juberobo1 Avatar

In fairness. none of us can say what we *really* want to say on the forums

Ice Queen, Chatele, Hornpipe and 6 others like this.
  9. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

I know I'm kind of a broken record about this, but it's only when I started pushing really hard about it that you guys started talking about it at all, and it's still really vague. Hopefully the roadmap can alleviate my concerns.

10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@DarkStarr; Any possibility to allow us to add input to the "early draft" before it is etched in stone? R/Boris/El Pirata

LoneStranger likes this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I can't find the quote now, but I recall either Starr or Chris saying this was going to be a "living document". Its impossible to have a "set in stone" plan that far out, especially when engaged in active, agile development. Think of this as more of a list of various goals where the "end" of any of them can be adjusted as necessary.

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson; Thank you for your input and hopefully that "living document" is flexible and not "set in stone". We have a lot of players with great ideas that I am sure would like to be included in that plan and preferably on a forum where it can be debated in a sensible manner instead of in a telethon where time for answers is crunched. I sincerely hope either @DarkStarr or @Chris can confirm this at their earliest convenience. (Hint, ship battles, Hint Moving ships). R/Boris/El Pirata

LoneStranger likes this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is the plan for the developers, not for players. Its to let us know what they are working on. I do not seriously expect them to post this in an area where it will be debated, nor solicit changes from the players. The project has already suffered from a lot of scope creep, and that would exacerbate that problem exponentially.

If something you want is not in the plan, then post about it separately. See if its something they might be able to look at for Episode 3, or if its similar enough to something they do plan to do that it can be slipped in. But folks demanding changes are just going to cause problems. I'm kind of surprised they are doing this; the quarterly posts already generate all kinds of drama.

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson; I will wait for either @DarkStarr or @Chris to either hopefully answer as to whether the 2 year plan is flexible enough to have players add things they consider important rather than wait until its etched in stone and wish for it in EP3. You have your opinion on how to go about it and I have mine unfortunately they are not the same. I am not surprised they are doing this at all. It is in my opinion a good idea to ask for player involvement in future plans since players who feel their input was heard and considered are more likely to stay around past official launch as well as others reading this and other forums who either play the game or are contemplating it at launch or beyond. Every player here counts and every potential new player will benefit Portalarium with their financial contribution. I also believe we can give our conversation here in this forum a rest and let them answer if they wish when they have the opportunity. It may be after release R44. R/Boris/El Pirata

LoneStranger likes this.
  15. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

As odd as this sounds... I would prefer for him to not post anything until it is set in stone... This way people will not constantly complain, myself included, when things and timelines are not met. Hell I am still not a happy camper when last year they stated they will be shipping physical rewards and to update your mailing address, then to only find out they are not shipping until game is ready to go and complete for Episode 1. I am not a huge fan of telling someone when a thing is going to be in game and then not get it in upsetting a few individuals. My choice would be to have a list of items that people are aware of that needs to be fixed and added and then when they are actually going into the build / release then inform the masses. IF something is not added and pulled because of a major bug, then that is the first thing that is on the next release to validate and fix.

Just my .02

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Malimn; I understand you and many others who have probably expected something that has been promised and not delivered. They have a right to be upset about it too. I just do not agree with not having inputs on something as important to me as Chris' two year plan. About a year ago I asked for Pirate Ships in game and they gave it to me and others. I have also been disappointed at times due to drastic changes in builds and this whole attunement to get resistance deal which I consider a waste of time which is our most valuable resource yet will push for an alternative. I would rather have a chance to ask for something that will make the game better rather than have them push content at me without having a say in the matter as long as it is presented in a sensible manner than can be accomplished resource wise. In short, there is competition in the market that is luring players from here to the other games and a free trial in place to try to lure new players to try the game and stay here for the long run. Portalariium is a business like all other gaming industries and I believe that showing they care about the player base and what they have to contribute will show enough good will to keep and increase their player base . It is what will keep them in business so why not allow us to add some inputs to the two year plan before it is etched in stone. That is my two cents as well. R/Boris/El Pirata

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Any document of this type will set expectations... Those that will interpret the document as a contract rather than a statement of intent are the Business Stakeholders... in the case of Shroud of the Avatar, the Business Stakeholders are Us, the Backers...

While I understand the value, and *I* understand that the Roadmap is a statement of intent and not a binding contract, it will be used as a cudgel to beat the development team with. Just look how often Richard's statement of what he Hoped would be able to be achieved even prior to the beginning of the Kickstarter are brought up and treated as a contract.

Personally, I wouldn't do it... @DarkStarr, you're a braver man (with a much thicker skin) than I am.

<salute>

Hornpipe and Max Bennis like this.
  18. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

That goes hand in hand with more woods, Rock Maple is not a regular Maple and what about Birch, Oak, Willow and actual Yew? See this crafting stuff has a long way to go to be complete...not to mention being able to mine coal :D

19. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@DarkStarr With the setback from the last release, will RELEASE 46, September 28, 2017 still happen as scheduled with its intended content or will we see some of the content pushed back?

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In lieu of DarkStarr responding I'd just point out what we can deduce from history.

So far all of the 45 releases has always been on time. Thus we can deduce that they see the date as a firm commitment.

So far all of the 32 last releases which had deliverables listed has always had some that were pushed. Thus we can deduce that since the date is the firm commitment the deliverables are where they make the adjustments.

So far all of the 32 last release which had deliverables listed has always contained more than what was listed. So things get bumped or moved around and other stuff gets added.

We can also check the release notes of the last two releases:
    R45
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r45-instructions.98739/
    R44
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-44-instructions.96073/
    Date firm - check
    Some things postponed - check
    Lots of things added - check

So given the developer history of this project it is pretty safe to say that they will deliver on time, where some stuff in the plan will be postponed and lots of other stuff not in the plan would get added.

Happy hunting

Spoon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.