Dragons as Pets

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Added a screenshot from today's SotA livestream of the dragons! How about that little one :D

2. Falcon Rainfeather

Falcon Rainfeather Avatar

I think everyone who has played any mmo has wanted to have a pet dragon. I understand that the size will always be an performance issue. I agree that a baby or lesser dragon type would make a great pet. Only time will tell if we will get one.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Dragons are more intelligent than humans! if anything they should be able to tame us. ;)

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Right?!

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

And would we know if we've been tamed to begin with ;D

6. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I'm not saying they 'could' tame us, but I'd be first in line to welcome our bat-lizard overlords. So long as they toss me something to eat and keep their People Lore high I promise not to go feral. Feral-Phant is bad news, bro.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Alleine Dragonfyre and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Obtaining a Dragon as a pet is nigh impossible task.
    First you must use a ranger-like skill to identify a female.
    Then track that female to her lair.
    You can either sneak past (which will be impossible without some magical enhancement given a dragon's senses) or kill it.
    Once you kill the protective female, you then have the task of transporting the eggs. They are quite large - imagine an animation of literally holding a giant egg the the measures from your waist to the tip of your head.
    You encumbrance may shoot up without magical enhancement, even then you wouldn't want to run, moving quickly or being attacked risks breaking the egg.
    You will want friends, and in a PVP setting, that gets risky unless they are loyal and sworn by oath. A freelancer may kill you once the egg is near safety and transport it with allies somewhere else.
    Once the egg is in a safe location, then comes the job of incubating it. As dragons of different species have different needs, incubation needs will vary and times as well. Time of incubation may also be impacted by method of incubation, do it improperly, not only will your dragon may not reach full potential, but end up with an abnormality (negative penalty)
    Once you have a hatchling, then comes the whole issue of raising it. Don

8. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

It has been said in the past that maybe........... something lesser like a Drake. Personally, I feel like taming is the red headed step child. However that being said. Still waiting for them to finish the subterfuge and chaos trees. As far as taming goes for a time it was considered too powerful because a few of the tamers were able to handle mobs that the majority of tamers and others were unable to. Also back then you had folks with little if any taming running around with the highest end pet so we were hit by the nerf bat with a vengeance.

Beli likes this.
  9. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I've been a Dungeon Master for just past two decades now, and while I appreciate the narrative and personal-power challenges of having a honking great dragon as a combat ally, I agree with @Alleine Dragonfyre - I'd like to see this in game. Whether we are talking about taming a bestial drake or wyvern, or befriending and bonding with an intelligent great wyrm, the mystique of having a dragon on your side is a well-explored facet of fantasy fiction. Even a little pseudodragon or dragonet could be fun.

Final Fantasy XI had a summoning system that involved calling full-size eidolons to your side - the iconic Titan, Ifrit, and the like - and that was a fun bit of flavor that gave us group objectives and a lot of personality. Also, the Dragoon job got a little miniature dragon as a combat pet who could blow Cure spells out his little snoot.

I think it'd be something nice to have, if it can work within the narrative and the setting.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Beli like this.
  10. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

I want krakens and T maps soooo bad.

But, what loot would they drop!? Doesn't seem like anything worthwhile

EtherBunny likes this.
  11. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Could be a new cooking ingredient, Giant Kalimari. They might also drop an oil that could be used in high-end alchemy. As far as physical objecks go they might drop a large, battered net (decoration), a uniqeu weathered gold necklace, worn captains hat (Jack Sparrows) and perhaps an old harpoon and hooked staff that could be broken down as weapon patterns.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Ditto! My husband, Drizz really is hoping for this. He's been spoiled by that game system and it hasn't been replicated yet. Now is the time!

13. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Only a few things I want to see as far as the taming lines go.
    1) more/different high end pets with different abilites that matter. This way it's not always a spider doing the same things.
    2) Reduced focus drain. Not a lot of reduction, just a slightly more manageable to work around one. More to follow on 4.
    3) Stable slots!! Like UO. So if we had said reduced drain, we could possibly have more pets out (would need to figure out what to do about a 2nd summoning whistle??) So then, you would be missing a chunk of focus, but you also have 2 pets (possibly with different abilities) helping you.
    4) please make them keep up with us a little better.....it sucks if I get hit and start combat and can no longer teleport/summon my pet to me.

Those are really the only things I would like to see changed and that I think would add to the games taming experience/enjoyment.

14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Numa and majoria70 like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes check out the new post by darkstarr. ;)

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

WHAT?! OMG!!!!! I'm so excited I can't find the post!!

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

when you want to find an original post that's been quoted, you can just click the up arrow after where it says "darkstarr said:"

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  20. Beli

Beli Avatar

Rhiannon and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.