The Internet Is A Scary Place Sometimes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ushimimi, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I posted what I thought was a fairly informed and honest review of SotA on Steam.

I received an absurd backlash of downvoting and in some cases violent flaming by people who seem to no longer be members of the SotA community. I haven't encountered anything like that personally - so far, everybody has been welcoming, positive, and forthright with me - but it seems there are some people who have taken their damaged pride to a frightening level!

I'm not really interested in the events or "scandals" this guy is talking about (99% of the time when someone complains about "moderator overreach" they are mad that they did a dumb and got banned.) Rather, I wanted to post a few of his comments because this feels like a bizarre, violent outlier more than a member of a developed community - I wanted to see if other people have trouble with this sort of thing, and maybe score a few laughs at his Napoleonic fury.

Anyway, "[removed by Berek]" posted this in response to my review on Steam:

The "slander" he refers to is a suggestion I made that if you are looking for a AAA-polished, complete game, that both Battle.Net and FFXIV offer well-developed, excellent games with huge playerbases. I should mention here that I am an active member of both of these communities and I enjoy them very much, and my suggestion reflects that. That he took personal offense to this indicates to me he is perhaps a part of the very negative element I haven't seen in this community.

Why he capitalized "Insider Trading" but not "Kickstarter" is well beyond me. His misuse of the semicolon is just insulting.

He then went on to throw a few personal jabs in there:

I understand not everybody got what they imagined from this early access game, but this really feels like a case of a bruised ego not being personally catered to. Leave the pixies out of this, pal.

To the truly disenfranchised, I offer my humble condolences.

To guys like this, I offer a fig's-end and directions to the "uninstall" button. Who's with me? Let's pledge to steer clear of this kind of poison together, and keep to the path of the Virtues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

The guy you mentioned, to put it mildly, is mentally unwell. He has been posting tirades of nonsense for months. Just ignore him and enjoy the game and know that most of the people here are helpful, supportive and just want to have a good time playing the game. I personally stay clear of the Steam forums.

3. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

You came to the right place to post this. Every other forum including steam will get you negative responses. You can speak your mind here without challenge, as long as you agree with the community. Be safe and be happy.

Montaigne and Boreus like this.
  4. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Your opinion is your own. Even when writing a review or posting on the forums anywhere on the internet. Not everyone will like what your saying, be it good or bad, and there is nothing you or I or anyone can do about that. IRL the world has gone full PG, but on the internet, everyone is fair game. Kind of like the way it used to be IRL??? Funny how people have all become scared, and hide behind their keyboards now adays rather then coming out and disagreeing with someone IRL. Instead they bottle it up and wait until they get home and let it go on the internet where they become a nobody, and their opinions will not scar their fragile lives.

The best advice I can give... DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. In this case, someone disagreed with you. Be it in a non constructive manor. You smell troll. Leave it alone, don't argue with them, it's what they want. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. They love attention. Don't give them what they want. The internet would be a much nicer place if we all followed this rule. But we don't cause we love to drama and love to ***** about the drama later for our own attention.

5. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I am unspeakably relieved to hear that. Knowing that he doesn't represent even the legitimately disillusioned in our community is heartening.

I think I will leave his comments up on my review for now, just maybe so future generations can see what kind of madness dwells there. ^_~

6. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I never begrudge someone a challenged viewpoint! This guy just seems really off-base and not coming from a particularly stable platform of his own.

7. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

I'm not sure I like the implication you're making here, but I can't really fault you for feeling that way. It's the internet, after all.

This one is a loaded gun and I'm not going to play with it. Nevertheless, I feel I might be the demographic you are alluding to, and I want to make it clear that there are a lot of straw men out there that make us all look bad.

8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I wish more people would come on to Steam and offer up some rebuttals. Perhaps some screenshot and video shares as well. For the amount of people that are exposed to this game on Steam, the community really needs some help over there. Myself included!

Ushimimi's review of SotA was so akin to my own sentiments, I actually quoted her. I'm so sorry @Ushimimi you had/have to deal with that. Hopefully some folks will help out with dealing with all the undue negativity.

9. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

That's exactly why I made sure to make my voice heard over there. I feel like SotA - on Steam, anyway - is the target of a lot of self-righteous assault and not really being reviewed fairly. I stand by my opinions either way and will defend them. Also, unlike a few people (who may or may not have named themselves after a melange of European dictator and body parts,) I base my claims on observable truths.

Funny thing for a pixie to be saying, isn't it? ...gods be good, I've gone rational. I need some whimsy, stat. Somebody may need to start clapping or pressing the Z button or something.

SotA doesn't do everything perfectly, and I disagree with the development direction on a few counts, but that's little more than personal taste. A few people have become disillusioned, but that's all the more reason the game needs fresh blood and a positive outlook.

Sir_Michael, Numa, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Lets all go write a good post about shroud and how we love our games. If that only f*** is there replying like that vs 10 of us writing good post, people will judge by themself. ;]

11. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

SotA has the strength to stand on its own merit, fiddly bits and all. Like most problems in the world, I feel this can be solved by defeating the twin beasts of misinformation and assumption.

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Too bad i gotta buy it trough steam to be able to review. ;P

But yeah this game has nothing to envy from other. Ive been searching and jumped from games to games for so long looking for something as complex as this. Finally found it, they could make a gold albion with 3b people playing and i would still stay there. ;)
    This have to be the game of the year once it release.

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

We could use the help! Thank you @devilcult :)

[​IMG]

amarious and Time Lord like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Don't let him get on your nerve. Just think of the conversation as what you would do when you encounter such person in real life. Most likely just walk away or ignore him, yes?

amarious, Ushimimi and Time Lord like this.
  15. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

That sounds about right. Some people just want to feel like they're being attacked.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Time Lord like this.
  16. amarious

amarious Avatar

I too have been harassed for my Steam review of SotA and I believe it's from the same few reddit users that have an awful axe to grind.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

I thought you could link the accounts. Or is that only when you purchase through Steam?

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I wrote a positive review months ago and got slammed also :(

19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Evolution of What is Positive & Negative o_O...
    Our SOTA is only just now within this year getting all it's pieces put together in order to build something truly special on. This is a very exciting year that we're currently in. Many of those more positive elements will be added shortly (like fishing, treasure maps, agriculture and an actual economy).

The controllers and haters of the world have turned themselves into a fashion design in some parts of our world and it's almost always been a fashion statement to be as rude and throat cutting as possible on the internet :p The subject was never what people like those were ever there for, while others hold long time grudges with the developers not adopting their viewpoints... But then there's something more which are much larger o_O...

Here where I live in Thailand, the Thai Police recently busted a group of these "other forces" which were operating from a small apartment with the soul goal of attacking or promoting different products. In this case they were Chinese who were being paid to do this sort of thing and thus the Thai Police deported them all. We now live in a world where many groups operate such information attacking workshops as was clearly seen within the latest elections throughout the world, as opposing governments have now begun enlisting such workshops to effect global election results. Such workshops when not as well employed by larger money support themselves through such product attacking which also build their skills and serve to "show off & showcase" their abilities. So, even when they are not operating at a profit they still continue to training and survive off the smaller income until the big $ fish can employ them once more.

After a very long career being employed by the US Gov and now retired, I can speak of such things without reserve ;) But they are always around us, because they are very effective o_O...

:rolleyes: Those are the words of the wise ;)~Time Lord~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  20. Ushimimi

Ushimimi Avatar

Sir_Michael and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.