Someone knows which Skills are connected to others to lvl up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin Michael, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Dear Community,

I thought about Skills these days,
    (-->Game Features --> Skills and combat
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...t-skill-lvls-and-to-make-skills-better.96754/)

I wonder, if there is an information about which skill is connected to another to train in a better way. Especially the grey ones in tree.

I think at the moment players often use to train all skills, because they don't know about the effects. It would be helpful for specialization.

Someone out there knowing something about? :)If not, Dear Dev., @Chris, what about some information about this?

Thanx a lot!

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

3. Paladin Michael

@discipleofweb,

thank you for the link to sotawiki.
    It's helpful, but don't give the information, I would like to have.

For example: I used dash and a grey one from another skill tree lvl'ed up.

It would be great to know, how skills from skill trees influence the grey(!) skills from other skill trees :)

Maybe I overlooked something in the Sotawiki?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

They are not currently linked on the wiki because I havn't had time to go through and identify which are which. For example, casting almost any glyph raises Heightened Awareness and Train Intelligence, but casting Heavy Armor glyphs also seen to raise Train Strength. Attacking/getting attacked raises Bulwark of Earth, but (even during the day) does not seem to raise Sun Worship, which does basically the same thing.

If we could get a definitive cause/effect for each ability, that would be something. As it is, its not really worth trying to correlate, since I'm not min/maxing skills yet.

Time Lord and Sir_Michael like this.
  5. Paladin Michael

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

7. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Active skills increase every passive skill on usage, except some Magic skills like resi, fire damage or healing stuff. There are no spezial connections between skills in other tree's per se.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Trial and Error. WOrk up something and see how it goes. But do not assume that things would work the way you expect them to....cause they wont. Assumption in this game is a bad thing. If you assume it will work most likely it wont. There is no NORMAL in this game....which is why i love it....the Unexpected.

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All the skills in each magic school contribute to their respective attunement.

[edit] Actually, just the highest ten skills now, whether they're passive or active.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Right, actually it is only Earth Magic. Bulwark and Sympathy do increase on getting hit.

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  11. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Also Heavy armor skills like Deflection, Endurance, Hardheaded.

12. Paladin Michael

Well, I think there must be a special connection.

For example: Light Armor

I have Dodge at 78.
    The first grey one I got was Swiftness (needs Dodge at 20).
    The second grey one I got was Acrobatics (needs Swiftness at 40)

My actual skill height:
    Swiftness 81
    Acrobatics near 101 (!)

So there must be skills training Acrobatics more than Swiftness.

Evasion, Flurry and Sprint are also at 78. I trained the Light Armor skills equal.
    (Don't used Escape)

If there would be no special connection with other skills from other skill trees, how could I get Acrobatics over 100 before Swiftness, which needed Swiftness at 40! before receiving it ?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Skills dont get the same xp on use, thats why they gain in different speed. While some skills like Life Power gain 0,005% of your XP pool, other skill might gain with 0,01%. Just a example, dont nail me on that. Also some skills need more xp then other.

Edit:
    As you see Acrobatic has damage resist what seems like it is a passive skill and might also increase on hit, in contrast to Swiftness.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  14. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Ya was talking about magic. Many Armor und Shield skills gain on hit. But i think the question was about a connection between different Tree's

Time Lord likes this.
  15. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Zelda has very rarely given stats in any of its games. Awful example. Nearly every RPG provides stats to one extent or another. What level are you? How much health do you have? etc.

The only reason I want to see stats is because D&D does it? Please, stop contributing to conversations with absolute nonsense. Have you played any video game game aside from SOTA? Basically every RPG video game gives stats. Not sure what you were trying to even do with that comment except troll more. That statement is in the discussion for one of the worst and nonsensical troll attempts I've seen in this community yet.

Min-maxers optimizing their character is not abusing anything, troll. It's playing the game. How can you abuse something the developers put at your disposal? Nobody is talking about exploiting anything here. Why are you? Because you're a troll.

Building a character that feels right instead of being mathematically right? Why is your way of playing the game something you must impose on others and pretend is better? You have to have everyone play the game with characters that 'feel right' instead of those they invested time and effort making efficient at whatever goals they hope to achieve? Players like min-maxing, it's a perfectly valid way to play games and providing the information to do so does not in any way impact your game experience as someone that doesn't want to min-max. Don't want to play that way? Don't play that way. But stop pretending your way is better. A completely detailed stat screen for players that wish to play differently than you do does not impact you. Stop being a child and pretending it does.

Your argument that dev's have to change something once players figure it out is equally ridiculous. Balancing combat in video games is an ever-changing and evolving paradigm - this happens, and will always happen, throughout the life cycle of any video game being actively developed and updated.

More complete and utter nonsense from this trollfest of a community that insists everyone must enjoy the game the same way they do. Nobody is saying min-maxing is best, all I'm saying is that some people like to play that way and giving them the tools to do so does not impact any one else's enjoyment of the game. It's a pretty simple point to grasp. Not sure why you're resisting something that won't impact you in any way.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

FYI, SotA gives stats. Some are prominently listed on the character window and some are listed in tool-tips, the rest are output to the chat log when you type /stats.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's EXACTLY my point. You don't need to see the stats because the game doesn't make it a point to distract you with it. Nearly every RPG provides the stats because they're all based on D&D which was conceived in the 70s and barely any video game developer questioned the purpose since then. RPGs have stats out of habit. The moment a dev tries to steer away from that, people go crazy because "Every RPG needs stats!"

... Just look at your own OP.

That's the only argument you have; that "other RPGs display stats". It's the status quo and failure to follow suit "isn't acceptable anymore" (your own words). What impact does showing stats have on a game beyond what some people find comfort in? You claim that it has no negative impact but you have yet to back that up.

It becomes a problem for a game that's trying to be about having an adventure when it distracts the players with numbers. It becomes the focal point. People in these forums went crazy when they learned that XP decay was a thing! "Oh no!" they'd cry, "An arbitrary number isn't as high as it should!"

And that's the weird part: You only need to know about XP decay because people wouldn't understand why their XP pool would be dropping... and you only need to know about your XP pool because people wouldn't understand how valuable a certain exercise is and also because you need to understand how to manage numbers on your skills. It's a never-ending cycle.

I mentioned Zelda because it's a superb video game franchise that is excellent for both hardcore players and casuals... and one of the recurring things it does differently from most games is that it doesn't show stats. It's universally adored and it would probably be loved by more people if the games weren't exclusive to one platform. Because it works. It's only an "awful example" because it doesn't prove your point.

I'm not imposing it. The devs are trying very hard to make an authentic experience/simulation of what would happen if you were really in Novia and that involves showing the least amount of numbers as possible. If anything, you're imposing YOUR views because YOU want the changes to be made.

What I'm saying is that, the moment you start to deconstruct the game by its rules and numbers, you look at what the game is offering and go "what's the point"? What's the point of doing Control Points when it's not the optimal way? Why are the devs nerfing the part of the game that was "fun".. it was "fun" because it was giving all of the loot and numbers! Go hunt skeletons because they give you gold and items. Etc etc.

I may be enjoying slaying these Skeletons but, no, they only give Y amount of XP and, therefore, the activity suddenly becomes a waste of time. You can chose to continue, but who the hell does when they know what's behind the veil?

The next thing you know, you'll want to see how much Virtue points you gain/lose when you talk to NPCs or do particular actions. That's not what this game is trying to do.

Min-maxing is the very definition of "abusing" a game system. You're squeezing out every single digit in the equation to your advantage. It's one morality check away from exploiting which is why the whole conversation on exploits is a sensitive subject. "the game lets me do it so it's fine!" The only difference is that games that display your stats actually encourages that behavior whenever it was intention by the devs or not.

I'm not saying that the behavior is bad, but it is destructive to what most game devs are trying to achieve in their respective RPGs.

It's one thing to ask to see stats (I never disagreed despite my preferences), it's another to claim that it has no negative impact.

If you're too butt-hurt to have a conversation when someone disagrees with you (or they write something you disagree with) to the point where you start calling them names and whatever (troll, child... did I miss one?), maybe you shouldn't be in the forums.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Where has it ever been stated that Richard wished to build nearly every RPG?

You backed a Richard Garriott game... One of his long standing hallmarks, like not hand-holding people through Quests, interactivity, food, and astronomy, is a decided lack of numbers. If Richard had his way completely, you'd never see a number.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Thank you @Tetsu Nevara for this information. This is what helps me to understand, how skills work together and not to think I made something wrong or maybe it could be a bug :)

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Cant say better @Gix
    Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPG is not only RPG Elements, but this most or a lot of gamers arent able to see.
    Pen and Paper Groups going for level up and such dont get the Adventure.
    Adventurers dont care about Level up, they care about the Adventure!

I believe and see how the Devs create an Adventure and no Level Up Environment.
    Mines are the best example.
    They arent there to get max output of ore, they are or should be adventure Zones with ores like Woods have Wood.

Time Lord and Gix like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.