Recipes, Rage quit, and Player wipe oh my!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xkhan, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Can always buy meteoric sheets from a crafter >.>

2. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

or get one to craft them for you

3. amarious

amarious Avatar

Speaking of recipes.. I spent damn near 3 hours looking for the obsidian wolf and bear meat recipe. People I ran into had no idea, my guild had no clue. It wasn't till I got in discord and offered to buy it from someone. @Stryker Sparhawk saw my post and told me where it was. I probably would have spent another hour looking if it wasn't for him.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Thanks for clarifying.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Over time it will become common knowledge. I, for one, am happy that the Owl's Head monopoly is being broken up.

Cirsee, tomcat_de, SmokerKGB and 3 others like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Ping me or friend me in game later. I will teach it if possible, otherwise I will make whatever for mats.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh I love owlshead. It was the only city in the game for so long. But whatever, it will be ok

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

If you've visited the New Brittanian Market then it's pretty clear what the future holds as far as the player run economy is concerned.

9. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

We need something like POE.trade.

10. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

I don't mind making some patterns rare drops, but it would seem a better solution to have a crafting recipe be a rare "drop" when, you know, actually crafting items. Having them as mob drops doesn't do crafters any favors.

Sort of like patterns when breaking things down - the more carpentry items you make, the better chance for a rare carpentry crafting pattern.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think the key problem here is simply knowing if a recipe can be discovered, traded, bought or looted. In the case of bought... where? In the case of looted... from what? Nothing worse than running all over Novia to find the unfindable.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think this is where the social aspect comes in. Ask around. Even the devs will tell you if asked in Discord. There are websites with various levels of completeness.

I think it might be helpful if the vendors knew a little about where the special recipes could be found. Perhaps a crafting merchant in Ardoris would could respond to a player's mention of a certain recipe by telling them, if not the city, then at least the region.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That would be cool.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  14. _Twilight_

_Twilight_ Avatar

Allow GM craftsman to write recipes they have known using blank page.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I've gone halfway around the world and the only "meteoric" recipe I've seen is Meteoric Iron Ingot. So probably there's going to be a single vendor for stuff made from the special ingots. I haven't found any recipes so far that use bronze, meteoric iron, or white iron ingots. (other than bronze tool engraving) But I have found copper-only and iron-only blacksmiths.

This is a time of great change as they fill in systems and resources that were previously "placeholders". The only constant is change. If someone can't tolerate a week or three while people adjust to a major change, then maybe they should just wait for official release.

At the moment it isn't even clear to me yet how the new information should be organized. It's easy to say "put it in the wiki". That works when it's more of something we've already seen, but when it's a new type of information, some thought needs to be put into how to organize it.

Are you assuming that there aren't people trying to find this information out, and share it with others? It takes time, and people have IRL things they have to do too.

I've only found bow string recipes so far.

Oh, crap, I have a couple of yellow(?) bundles that I forgot to open yesterday.

I hope that's an error. Requiring people to fight for loot as the only way to get a recipe doesn't sound right. And making extras useless is just as dumb. I hated how FFXI had this type of thing happen all the time.

If you find recipes marked no-trade, bug report them. If the devs intended for things to work this way, we need to know. If they didn't intend it, they need to know.

Part of the problem is that many vendor NPCs actually have no name yet. So you can't just create a wiki page about them, both because you'll have a bunch of "Housing Decorations Merchant (Cityname)", but also because it will change eventually, and renaming dozens of wiki pages is a pain. For now, my plan on the rarer recipes to add the NPC locations to the item pages. One of the most useful things to me in the FFXI wiki was the "where you get it" section on item pages.

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The cool thing about wikis is that they are living documents. They aren't books that once printed cannot be changed. It's as simple as barfing the data to a page and then letting it organically get created. Perhaps it's as simple as, for example, a "Location of Seed Vendors" page that contains a sortable list of seeds, their locations and the release they were last confirmed to be there. A master list of recipes, a note on how they are obtained (bought/loot/quest), with their locations would be a good start. Later on, each recipe could have their own page and relevant links to other pages could be added.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Just looking at the New Brittanian Market,it makes Owl's Head not what it used to be .

Toff, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

How did you come to this conclusion? How did "there is no way IN-GAME to know where the various recipes have been scattered to" turn into "sources OUTSIDE the game"?

Xandra7 likes this.
  19. guardianspif

guardianspif Avatar

ok this pisses me off wouldent it be simpler to raise the skill (profency) neededto LERN IT like houses need neer gm carpentry to build

Xandra7 and Lace like this.
  20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I have to say that's about as dumb an idea as we've heard lately. Wanna make crafting even more F'n grueling than it already is? OK...I really don't get that but we'll leave it for now. Putting them on drops will just mean that the folks who can spend all of their time farming will wind up with them and next we'll see them going for silly stupid amounts of $. Why not do something creative and thought out.. like Oh I know.. maybe a crafting quest that doesn't have anything to do with chasing down some wolf on a leash? I'll just put it out there now... if this comes to pass (opportunist's suddenly wanting lord knows what kinds of st00pid prices for recipes) I will make my services available to craft said items...

no charge...

just hit me up in game

Dakota Solazur

ps. to clarify, I have nothing against those who can, for w/e reason spend all day playing. I've been there.... it's not my current reality but there are any number of situations which make these things possible. I just tire of some of the more opportunistic .... stufff... i see which imo detracts from the game.

/endrant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.