Release 44: The New Dawn for Recipes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryker Sparhawk, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

In case you missed it in the Release 44 instructions, here is the text:

• Recipes as Loot: Many recipes that involve working with rarer materials and/or components have been moved off of merchants and are now found as loot on mid-level enemies.
    • Crafting:
      • Recipes Locations: We have adjusted the locations of where many recipes can be found so that not all recipes are on all merchants. Recipes are now distributed through crafting merchants, decorations merchants and loot drops. The biggest changes are that the global recipe merchants have been removed from the game, recipe inventories differ per region for some merchants, and larger cities house more skilled craftsmen that sell more recipes. This means for example that decoration recipes are now only sold on decorations merchants and there is no decoration merchant in the Grunvald region. In addition equipment, consumables and simple component recipes are now sold exclusively on crafting merchants. It also means that market stall shopkeepers no longer sell recipes.

In practical terms this refers to some recipes are now drops only, such as special wooden sub-components (like a rock maple bowstave) as an example.

On the other hand, all the generic crafting vendors, such as the trio from Owl's Head have now retired and their sales are now divided across the lands. This means that home decoration items are now sold by Decoration vendors in regional NPC cities.

An example of this would be all wooden crafting signs are now found on the Decoration vendor in Resolute, while fireplace recipes are now sold by the Decoration vendor in Owl's Head. Each region now has a subset of these deco recipes and the Decoration vendor is usually found in a bank building.

Butcher specialty recipes can at least be found in a cooking shop in Aerie.

Seeds are a different subject, but the same philosophies apply when hunting seeds for planting. Cotton seeds can be found on vendors labeled 'Textiler' and one is found in a booth across from the bank in Central Brittany.

POT Decoration vendors sell the craftable road recipes. On a final note, light recipes are spread across two regions, Brittany and Norgard.

Lyndoman and Draugur2 like this.
  2. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

The problem I have with this change is that there is no directory (inside or outside of the game) that lists which merchant sells what recipe, and where they are located.

Just when you thought crafting couldnt get any worse....

How is this fun?

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The hardest part for me is not knowing if a recipe is loot or not. It makes no sense to go hunt vendors down if there is zero chance of getting a recipe from them.

FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

One of my goals, now that recipes are regional, is to compile a database of who sells what to put on the wiki. Unfortunately, that requires time.

I'd also like to make a template so POT owners can easily add their NPC merchants and auto-populate their wares. This should be easier, since they are not regional.

With any luck, I'll have some free time to get this process started soon. I'll probably start doing a pass through to get all the vendors added in NPC towns, at least with stubs, by Release 45. If anyone wants to help, just grab a screenshot of the vendor's contents and what town they are in. I'm going to set up a gallery on Imgur to work from.

Rentier, RoStudios, Barugon and 3 others like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sounds great, but I don't know if the locations won't change often and recipes may also swap between loot and vendor. Afraid of the lost effort.

FrostII likes this.
  6. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Another note: Mid-level enemy does not correlate to skulls. Mid level seems to be tier 5 through 8 out of the tier 1 to 10 model. Where are tier 5 humanoids found? Skull 5 areas and occasionally skull 4.

7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@Saesa UO and SotA Japanese site has already done most of the vendor pics

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Interesting, was not aware of this site. Thanks!

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Has anyone found any poison recipes on NPC's or are they all drops ?

10. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Personally, I don't like how high end recipes can now only be found in drops, as many crafters aren't adventurers, so how are they supposed to kill the 100s and 100s of tier 5 - 8 mobs to maybe get the recipe they are looking for. Especially, since the drop rates are random and very low. Since release 44 I've probably spent a good 4 hours fighting in 5 Skull Areas (e.g. several of the ruins and Grannus Colossus), and I only got one bag drop that was worthless (e.g. apples, corn, one regular Health Potion, and several other useless items). I think it was a Grey Bag. Does Yellow and Blue ones give the same sort of items? Also, where do I need to fight to have a chance (though I'm sure it's extremely low) of receiving Yellow and Blue Bags? Thanks.

RoStudios, Xandra7 and Weins201 like this.
  11. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Other then the basic Poison I think they are all drops and have been for sometime which is why I don't have any of them. I also don't have any of the greater heal, focus, haste, etc. potions for the same reason even though I've played for over 500 hours.

Numa and FrostII like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

SOL

You have to pay thru the nose to players who can farm them, :-( pish posh

13. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I find this change fustrating. Before it, already was difficult to find a concrete recipe and was a waste of time to travel searching for it. I think this will also scary new players, it is in no way fun to cross the entire map looking for recipes.

I agree in the discovery part of the game but there are other ways to promote it. For example make all the normal/usual recipes be available in every merchant of their type and the rares or difficult ones (require GM in craft skill) be available in one npc or even only as loot.

14. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The title of this thread is wrong. It should read R-44: The Apocalypse for Recipes.

The problem is these recipes that are now drops ARE NOT SPECIAL. Combined with the fact that every one of us playing prior to this patch had access to them like they were a cabbage just feels forced.

They should have made it so that *NEW* and/or *SPECIAL* recipes dropped in this manner. A bronze plate doesn't feel special to me.

bwtdozer, Xandra7 and K1000 like this.
  15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

This also forces crafters out into combat scenes, or holds them ransom to players who sell the recipes for top coinage.

I agree that this should only apply to new recipes, and that there should be a time limit on how long the recipes are loot before they are added to vendors (ie, everyone has found them). Also, the recipes should be for COMPLETE PIECES only, not components or sub-components.

Cordelayne, Xandra7 and Numa like this.
  16. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

+1 Well said!

17. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

My own thoughts on the distribution of the higher tiers of material recipes would be a quest with a hermit blacksmith (or expert professional) that can train you the recipes, but again, it's all a Dream at this point

twofoldsilence likes this.
  18. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Same goes for seeds for planting. Many of the merchants no longer carry all.....so have to run around finding the ones needed.

19. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

Even before this change all Poison recipes were drops you had to hunt for the recipes.

If you search player vendors you will find them, though a couple are pretty rare. and very expensive. Most of the more common ones seem to sell for 1000-10,000.

20. Blade Savage

Blade Savage Avatar

I like the change as I have literally gotten about 30 recipes over the course of 5 days, and now have recipes to sell. I sell the extra's for 175G each.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.