Shroud Color and the Dire Prophecy SPOILER!!!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Stundorn, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

My Dire Prophecy said i am an Avatar of Chaos, but my Shroud of the Avatar is white and before my Virtue Cloak was blue.
    My Love was always in disdain, dont know why, but at least, after finishing the Oracle Quest it was positive, now Truth is in some disdain, but i am nontheless chaotic?
    I remember a thread where someone talked about there is a Grey Cloak too?!? Someone told me there are black Shrouds and white ones. Dont know if there are also Grey ones.
    I colored my cloth white to fit the Shroud, looks great, but i wont be disappointed if its Grey, because i walk the Grey Path :p
    And before all my cloth was light Grey including my Witch Hat.
    But i like the Shroud without the hat and i like to be white (again, wearing white in the early beginning and at night i am still Grey :cool:).
    Now i am curious of what has happened. Dire Prophecy Bug or Shroud Bug or what is it?
    I have to say i cant get behind the Text of the Dire Prophecy exactly, too "english" for me :p know it's a sort of Evaluation)
    And it's called the dirae prophecy, is this a misspelling or some old english spelling?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same. I thought when they said that if your virtues were mixed then your shroud would be gray and that the shroud would actually be gray, not white.

[edit] Maybe by "gray" they mean just the piping on the shroud, which actually looks silver to me.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh thats interesting thought, mine glows more golden - see my Forum Avatar Pic or do youtalk of the shrouds seam?
    Thats silver-grey to me too.
    Curios if somone can post a black shroud pic

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, the edging.

I don't have a pic but it's all black.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

"dirae prophecy" is neither an old English spelling or a misspelling... there is somethin that says it is written by a guy whos last name is dirae...
    I just cant remember where I saw it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PS: I am "Avatar of Chaos" as well and my shroud was as white as driven snow...
    there are many ways to lower/raise your virtues...(oh I am the one in chain...)

PSS: there is also the possibility that I read that on the internet and you know how the internet never lies.......

Alley Oop and Stundorn like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Will the Cloaks color change?

I dont know many things that raise or hit virtues.
    Only introducing with your Name to NPC raise Truth.
    Spent a coin to a beggar raise Courage.

Dont know about Love or what happens if you steal or kill non-aggressive animal like cows, chicken, sheeps, squirrels, rabbits etc. ..

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

Yes, the Shroud will change color, mine was white... then grey... now black...
    and yes... telling an NPC your name will raise truth...
    so ask yourself... "what if I wanted to lower my truth...

;)

I can tell you this... it only takes one virtue to lower enough for your shroud to go to the dark side.

Mhtic, Cordelayne and Stundorn like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Merrik do you know what lowers or raise love?

10. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

truth is the easiest to lower... lie and steal... to raise it tell the truth....
    courage can be raised.. you know that one.. I don't know how to lower it.
    love I don't know a way to do either Sorry.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Maybe how you answer the Oracle at the end determines your Avatar title. I have the Avatar of Virtue title and have a white Shroud.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

You got an in-game title when you completed the Oracle quest? I never did. :(

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*Spoon in character*

My friend that is a tale in and of itself, bring forth some mead to loosen my tongue and your curiosity will find some satisfaction.

At the end of the second era, the warring cities, an orphan from outside Rhun read the "Lamentation of the Fall" by Sariah the blind.
    The end is the beginning of us all. Hear the soundless lamentation of the ages lost!
    The past is hidden from the eyes of the weary, blanketed beneath ash and tears. The
    old world is passed away, its mountains shaken, its rivers torn from their courses, its plains
    rent with fire and the shining towers of man tumbled to ruin. The orb of night is broken, its
    black shards tumbling from the dome of night to fall as judgment’s cruel, black rain. The
    music of daughters fails to resound, the proud boasts of men are as dust in their mouths
    and fear reigns in the dark silence that follows. The flesh is turned to dust and all that we
    once were is forgotten and lost in the shuttered past.
    Where now are the virtues of the world now fallen? Were they taken from us or were
    we taken from them? Were they abandoned or were we orphaned by them? Was this not the
    blade of too fine an edge that cut between the light and night; between me and thee? Avatars
    of our dreams or nightmares, did you steal away from us in the night or did we lose you
    by the wayside, sightless in our pride?
    How, then, are we to look forward when we cannot look back?
    Only in the obsidian darkness can we comprehend the bright truth. The Fall has sown
    the seed of our redemption, that we may harvest its fruits, harness its might and rise again
    from the blanketing ash of a past that has been cut from us as sharply as a malignant growth.
    Tomorrow is to be forged anew from a molten chaos by those who seize destiny’s hammer
    and strike with uncompromising will.
    That orphan inspired by those revelations would grow up to become the Obsidian Eye who formed the Obsidian Order and who rushed Novia into the third era.
    Once the Obsidian Eye had unlocked some of the secrets of the shards fallen from the shattered moon the Obsidian Eye craved more knowledge of how the order could bring order into the chaos of their age. To this purpose they came before the pool of destiny to bring forth a new prophecy so that they could control their fate.
    The world is fallen; fallen into chaos.
    Men reached up in anger and shattered the sky.
    Its blackness falls to earth like a rain of dark glass;
    The ordered customs and rows of society are shattered.
    All men stumble
    in the blinding light of a blood red dawn.
    Sightless who will not see.
    Deaf to the truth they will not hear.
    Mewing and wailing of and for themselves.
    They kill with discordant and untamed shouts
    The melodic order of their better selves.
    Yet from the Obsidians’ fall shall arise
    Seen only by the ordered Eye
    The blade which shall render order in their midst;
    Silence the voices who screech outside the ordered tune;
    Darken the eyes of unwelcome vision;
    And bring one vision, one voice, one song
    To a world reborn in perfect twilight.
    Supreme and ordered once more in its flawlessness.
    Of one thought and purpose born and died.
    Until only the night remains.

But in a twist of that fate the obsidian acolyte responsible for taking the stylus to the clay signed those tablets with his name instead of that of his master's.
    His name was Markus Dirae.
    Thus the prophecy gained by the Obsidian Eye from the pool of destiny became known as "the Dirae prophecy".

Although that is not the end of the story. After the fall of the Obsidian Empire we enter into the fourth era, that of Oracular Enlightenment, and in the end of that era in what would now be our recent past, the youthful scholars of those days started joking around about the Dirae prophecies being really the Dire Prophecies due to their grim nature. Thus to confuse every future student of history in general and this prophecy in particular what they wrote was "the studies of the Dire prophecies".

Which is a rather silly thing.
    :rolleyes:
    But one which is in the Blade of the Avatar novel and written into a host of dialogue and lore in the game. So not something the devs are willing to compromise on or change.

@Browncoat Jayson
    Maybe we could update the wiki with the info above (skip the mead sentance) so that we can have both the entry Dire Prophecies and the Direa Prophecy point to the same entry?
    That way we could link to that every time this gets asked or bug reported.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Will do.

Spoon and Stundorn like this.
  16. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

It is only written in the last page of the prophecy book. It does not show up in a display title as far as I know.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Spoon Man i have listen to the Beginning of the Book very often, i also own it, but reading it was very difficult to me and i somwhat gave up.
    But until know i allways thought that the Obsidians caused the Fall and not that the Fall caused the Obsidians when this boy from Drachvald began to study them and became the Obsidian Eye.

Good to know and thanks for clarification about that.

Marcus: What does it mean?
    The Obsidian Eye: It means the world must be ordered. And that it is our destiny to order it.

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

So it's a non displayable title? What's the point then?

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Poison some elves in blood river outskirts, that will lower your truth with the quest line.

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Thank you. Appreciated.
    :)

Head over to Desolis in the Grunvald region. In the town center next to the chained down shard you will find Elera Solstar, ask her about the "four eras". Short version:
    • Cataclysm/Shardfall
    • First era - Age of Survival (the era of the Survivors)
    • Second era - Warring Cities (the era of the Warlords)
    • Third era - Obsidian Wars (the era of the Obsidians)
    • Fourth era - Oracular Enlightenment (the era of the Oracle)
    Also it might be fun to note that
    It is the avatar of old (ultima game series) that causes the moon to shatter and the shards to fall down destroying the surface lands forcing everyone below ground.
    Not in the tech yet but has been mentioned elsewhere as being worked on. Might want to add a bug report if you want an official response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.