Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scenes 'flooding' or falling through the map

Discussion in 'Release 44 Bug Forum' started by Lexie, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Let me know how it goes. Several people have said that it fixes it, but I'm looking for some more consistency.

2. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

fixed so far.

Lexie likes this.
  3. Lexie

*fingers crossed*

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Lexie Just a thought: I've gamed quite a bit this release, but have yet to see this problem, though it seems many of my guildmates have. Here's the thing: I'm on a Mac. AFAIK, none of them are. It's a dog that didn't bark in the night. Tends to support the idea that this is somehow driver/hardware dependent.

Numa and Lexie like this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

ugh.. happened again. logged into npc town, opened chest on house lot, recalled to prt in hidden vale, used hidden vale boat to get to overland map... big canal.

Brazen Spirituality likes this.
  6. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

happened again, this time just after recalling
    [​IMG]

tried to log out and come back and died again, then time ran out and resurrected and died again.... at my lvl, that a lot of experience :(
    had to start on the overland map and zone back into beran's reach. I dont think im going to play till this is fixed; being scared of recalling

22.21.13.8494 driver laptop intergrated nvidia geforce gtx 960m, settings on beautiful

8/13/2017 12:13 AM
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz (4) System RAM: 8055
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GPU RAM: 2019
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.645.Date.08.03.17
    Area: POT_alpine_metropolis_01_template/Beran's Reach
    Area Display Name: Beran's Reach
    Loc: (-339.2, 65.2, 362.0)
    Debug: UE9UX2FscGluZV9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfEJlcmFuJ3MgUmVhY2h8KC0zMzkuMjExLCA2NS4yMTQsIDM2Mi4wMzIpfCgwLCAtMC43MTIsIDAsIC0wLjcwMil8OTAuNjI1OTN8NDIuNzc0N3w4LjA3NTk0NQ==

7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That's funny. I don't want to say something wrong but I'm not sure that I have seen this bug once, yet. And I'm running Windows 7 64bits, when all bug reports here mention Windows 10. I heard that Windows 10 manages games differently. It could be interesting to check if there is a single bug report for this problem which don't mention Windows 10 ?

GrayFog likes this.
  8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

windows 7 here also and never have seen the flood bug

Rentier likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I had this happen several times this release. My drivers are current, 1080 card. Exiting the client clears it up, but it just happens again in a different place later. Using Win 10.

My Internet is 1GB, so if there is slowness involved it is likely on the server side.

Of note, looking in chests and lot listings seems 500% slower this release. So maybe the problem is server slowness.

10. Lexie

Dang. At least 2 people now who still had this issue after updating video drivers and rebooting....
    It does seem to be hardware dependent. I've tried it on multiple windows machines with various Nvidia cards and I have not yet seen this issue myself. So it is more than that...

Curious if anyone is playing on wireless or perhaps slower internet speeds where maybe your avatar loads in before the rest of the scene has....

I would like people who are experiencing this to /bug it and paste it here, so we can perhaps find a pattern.

Rentier likes this.
  11. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's happened to me again since I first reported it. My machine is connecting through ethernet, and I'm on 15Mbps down / 1Mbps up.

Whatever it is, it's extremely intermittent.

I'm trying to think what else I may be doing with the computer at the time, such as:
    • Having a browser with many tabs in the background
    • Turning off/on a side monitor, which causes the computer display to blink/reset as it detects the addition/loss of a monitor.
    I'll check to see if my drivers are up to date later.

My impression is that the height maps that the terrain uses are loaded from images (Unity may be different in that it generates a final output-mesh). It's almost like that image has a number of rows that are black, because the image was corrupted/disrupted when sent to the GPU somehow? (Like below)

[​IMG]

But I'm mostly guessing about that.

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

Though I do tend to have YouTube going on my AppleTV while I play, which is bound to eat up a bunch of bandwidth.

13. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

I had the flooding problem on my last stream of the game link below jump to 47 mins to find the bug affecting Janaford.

14. Brazen Spirituality

Brazen Spirituality Avatar

Though they are "aware" of the issue, seeing it happen on a live stream may help. Good job catching that on your stream @skeggy Media. I know changing scenes can already take some people a horribly long time, but maybe adding a timer at the end that prevents the character itself loading into the scene for a few extra seconds may be the fix needed. Also, obviously there are some layers upon layers in your world maps that may need to be cleaned up for the sake of latency and Player PC as well as Server drain in maintaining unnecessary graphical data as the players are bebopping over the top, but the server and the client are harboring the data for these superfluous lower levels of stuff, like water levels under the ground levels and even trench sides and bottoms data that have since been covered over with rolling hills or whatnot.

15. Lexie

Thank you all for your input. This is very much a 'this will happen to you or it will never happen to you' kind of situation. Upload speeds may be a factor here, and how the avatar loads into the scene before the assets can load is clearly an issue. But I continue to encourage everyone to make sure their video drivers are up to date! While it does not appear to be the root cause, it doesn't hurt and seems to help performance. And performance is related to this incident. Plus it prevents other issues :) Well, most of the time, anyway...there are always exceptions.

I've compiled all the info I can into a single bug report for this incident: 49593. Clues and seeing a pattern through reports is what we needed. Still haven't been able to repro this.

16. Net

Net Avatar

I just wanted to tell you that so far it happened to me only once. I do not think I am doing anything differently from the first and only time I experienced this.

Brazen Spirituality and Lexie like this.
  17. Lexie

Finally got it to happen to me! (After a zillion attempts)
    I updated bug report.

Numa, Ancev, Rentier and 1 other person like this.
  18. Brazen Spirituality

Brazen Spirituality Avatar

Did you, in fact, learn anything new by it happening to you? I am now very curious. I am starting to suspect it may well have more to do with incidental lag... like, I myself have Fios, (fiber optics up to a few hundred feet from the house) and seldom have any lag at all, but once in a while I do get a little laggy in game, and I get tense whenever that happens for fear I will get bugged again. Is there any way we can get ping times as a part of the bug reports to determine if that is a factor and if we do, does that help resolve it in any way?

I am still thinking that hard coding a couple extra seconds upon zoning/changing scenes before the player character is loaded into the scene, would prevent the issue by virtue of giving the client more time to construct the scene first.

It also continues to nag at me that, as I touched upon previously, there are a lot of overland and in scene artifacts which presumably should be static, which are apparently pasted one upon another as they load in the game (client side) sequentially now, which is seemingly the base cause and may also help reduce performance issues if cleaned up thoroughly.

19. Lexie

@Brazen Spirituality I did not learn anything myself, but I collected all the info I could and submitted it to tech for review.
    I think a spike in lag happening right at the perfect moment is a good possibility. There was no rhyme or reason...I just teleported to Owl's Head in multi mode, like I have so many times before.
    The only think I could think of is that the scene seemed to load a few seconds sooner than it normally would. That might be a clue :)

Rentier likes this.
  20. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I reported this on the thread "Where is Lesni" I was told to update my video drivers
    LOL my video drivers by Nvidia are on AUTO UPDATE and download new drivers often.
    If I check there is never an update newer than I have installed.
    This is not a driver issue but a SOTA or Unity issue.

Today it just happened again. I'm in Novia Market.
    /STUCK does nothing.
    Here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    I was able to swim to the other side of the bridge and get on dry land this is the picture of that. I exited to Brittany Alleys and returned and the land was still gone. The other avatars on the dock said they did not see a problem. Finally I restarted the game when I came back all was normal.

[​IMG]

8/22/2017 8:35 PM
    Title: Novia Market has flooded
    Reproduction Rate: UNK
    Blocker?
    Details: Exited basement and ended up in water below houses. (Video quality is set to GOOD). Last time this happened it was set to Fantastic.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz (8) System RAM: 16255
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8078
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.645.Date.08.03.17
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01_template/Novia Market
    Area Display Name: Novia Market
    Loc: (103.2, 33.4, 104.4)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfE5vdmlhIE1hcmtldHwoMTAzLjE4LCAzMy40MDEsIDEwNC4zNjkpfCgwLCAtMC44NTEsIDAsIDAuNTI1KXwxMDcwLjM4M3w3LjU4OTY2MXwxLjU1MTc1Nw==

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.