Thoughts on Mixing FMO and MMO OverWorld?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Curious what would be the downside on having the OverWorld map be shared between the 2 modes? I feel you still get your privacy in zones, which is the main reason behind FMO.. yet it might help with that *empty world* feeling currently felt in both zones?

Is there a reason this isnt something being done? I havn't seen it discussed anywhere.... ?

2. Net

Net Avatar

I would not like it, my main reason to opt out from MMO is is to reduce lag and avoiding those bandits when I am not master of the scene is much harder and this way the map would most likely be even more crowded. And for some reason the last time I spent an hour in the overland map afk I got like 4 friend requests from complete strangers (at least I think they were strangers).

What I would like though is option to change modes when changing scenes. E.g. play in multiplayer but be allowed to enter scene in friends only mode... or play solo but enter town in multiplayer... It realy sucks to wait two minutes on one spot to change modes and then still wait through loading screen when you move somewhere.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Will seeing bodies rolling around the overworld map help anything? I mean does anyone interact out there? They could add overworld bots for that full feeling and accomplish the same thing.

The down side is that FMO players are pushed into MPO when that have chosen not the be in MPO.

If they grow the population then the MPO overworld map will inherently be full

Elwyn likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sorry for being a broken record on this, but there is no difference between single player online and friends online modes. In both cases you only see yourself or people in your party.

So killing friends only mode has no impact other than to remove the misunderstanding that it continues to create. It was an awesome idea that could not be implemented.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

do you remember what video that you seen this in? I would like to look up what was said.

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Other than creating the false perception that you would be able to play with all these people you see traversing the Overworld, combining FO & MPO on the OverWorld would do nothing but eat up more memory and cause additonal lag in the game. I do like that even though you aren't in MPO that your friends list still reflects those that are playing in FO/SPO.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sadly no, that was probably over a year ago.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

I don't see any downsides to this. The overland map takes the least resources to render and can easily handle many times the traffic it has now. New people coming in will realize that SOTA is more populated than it looks while those in FPO mode can still have the area exclusive to them when they enter the zone.

And if you still want privacy on the overland then just stealth your way through it - there are two ways to do it.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No. Selective Multiplayer. This is no MMORPG. If I want privacy, I don't want to see any other people.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I have to agree. I hide in SPO not because of griefers or whatnot...i hide in SPO because i just hate people ^^

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

To be honest for me a world "full of" pinky green blackwinged avatar's kill more atmosphere than beeing alone *shrug*
    I allways play MP for the last Month, but i barely see other players and the amount i see is way enough.

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I switch to friends mostly because then i have zero lag.

In multi if i am not the Master of the Zone i get annoying delay/lag.

Net likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If the proposal is to do this for Friends Online mode and leave Single Player Online stay as it is, then I think it is a good idea. We need something to differentiate those two modes.

Gix and Numa like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Exactly!

It wouldn't. The whole point of the suggestion is to SEE the people who are online; similar the argument of having a global chat. To make it feel alive. Chat bots wouldn't fix this either.

Knowing you, you'd be playing in Offline mode regardless...

I'm not sure how seeing other people in the overworld would somehow violate your privacy.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I'm also playing online. I like meeting with friends and playing coop but I don't want to see other players then.

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why?

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why I don't want to see them? Because I want this to be my adventure and the adventure of my friends without HanSolo327 and SupermanHonkyDonk jumping by spoling the next quest.
    I want to get the feeling the I am the hero of the story, together with my friends. And I don't want to get the feeling that everyone I see is killing the same enemy I kill, bringing the same murderer to justice I do...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Because why would they? We are still getting threads with people unable to accept the fact that some people want to be in Solo mode and don't care about being seen or seeing anyone and other folks wanting to be seen by everyone. We all are given the option,so why force all players to be viewed on the over world map only to have a lot of them disappear when they enter Owl's Head? That's why the option is there,so the player can choose.

Elwyn likes this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

We're talking about the overworld here; not the individual scenes. The worst thing that could happen is some random dude could intercept an encounter in your stead.

If they're online affecting the online economy, why wouldn't I be able to see player traffic in the overworld? They already have the benefit of being undisturbed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Which would be bad. Also the feeling of being in a dangerous world where monsters can attack me anytime would be gone if many players were hopping around.

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.