Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Words of Power Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Release 45 Feedback Forum' started by Browncoat Jayson, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Per @Lexie's suggestion, moving this from the Bug forum.

I've started looking at the words of power on several spells, and found a couple inconsistencies.
    • Some skills, like Enlightenment, start with Asen, and some, like Stone Arrow, start with Assen. I believe it should be Asen.
    • Both Stone Arrow and Root use the same invocation, Assen-Terra
    • Night Vision uses a invocation of Luna and Light uses Solis, but those were not listed words of power from Lord British's list; L was Lumen (and as is used in other spells correctly, like Fireflies) and S was Sanct (which I have no seen used yet, but Solis is used again for Searing Ray). Luna doesn't make sense as an invocation anyway, as the moon's name is Daedalus. (Personally, I don't like Solis for the sun either, but then I was hoping for Sosaria as the sun name.)
    • Douse uses an invocation of Desen-Vatu, but Vatu was not on the list of words of power either. V was Vertu (virtue). I would think this would be Desen-Ignis (lower flame)
    • Combos do not seem to have words of power, even tho they use magic glyphs
    Finally, some feedback. I know @Lord British said spells would have a number of words of power that match their tier, but this makes the words much less legible than those in Ultima. Just looking at a couple of spells makes this apparent; Light in Ultima was In Lor (invoke light) while in SotA it is just Solis (light), and Nightvision in Ultima was Quas Lor (illusionary light) and in SotA it is Luna (light). These would make much more sense with at least one additional syllable, Presti Lumen (magic light) and Umbra Lumen (dark light). It would also make the low level spells more understandable; i.e., Earth Fist as Terra-Jura (stone harm) instead of just Terra (stone).

Boreus, fonsvitae, Hazard and 3 others like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

But even then we still have Lunaism as the name for Moon Magic :D

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Which also makes no sense, as we said when those names were suggested. It should be Daedalism.

But the Word of Power for fire is Ignis, not Sorcere. It makes no sense for the Word of Power to be spoken as part of the school of Magic's name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.