Can we JUMP? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by RelExpo, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'm not interested in the jumping puzzles, although I did enjoy them in GW2. I'm more interested in being able to jump over a log here and there instead of having it stop my progress cold. I'm interested in jumping around in combat as well. From the 6 month progress video, it appears that facing will be an important part of combat, and a quick jump left or right could mean the difference between cool and crispy.

I suppose a step left or right works too, but it's just not as fun or dramatic.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

And jumping over the row of spiders in front of you when you a outnumbered by the skeletons chasing you. :p

OSullivan, BillRoy and Ned888 like this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If we are not allowed to jump, then I shall repeatedly ram myself into objects and people constantly and continuously and run around in circles forward and backward, over and over...and I am not the only one, for we are legion.:mad:

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree. This is not Ultima, this is a new game, just because you couldn't jump in Ultima doesn't mean Shrouds can't be a place of freedom to run, jump, and play. I don't want to be a stick in the mud. I want my character to be energetic and exuberant to be in the wonderful world that is being created. Please, please!!

Time Lord, Juvez, Ned888 and 3 others like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It's a sandbox game...jumping is just part of movement and exploration...Why would there even be a question on it?

Time Lord, Juvez, Ned888 and 5 others like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

and if there is jumping we need tripping too :) say you wanted to jump over a log and timed it wrong, KERSPLASH! face first into the dirt :)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't agree that jumping would interfere with immersion or that it should be skill based.

8. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

That would be funny if your clothing reflected what you fell in, and your character actually commented on it. Like swearing at tripping, or complaining how clumsy they are. Would be great if you are a master swordsman and your character falls and he wonders just what sorcery caused it.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

haha, this popped into my head when you posted this!

Time Lord, Ned888, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  10. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Ah, good times. And the best thing would be if stuff like that could happen. I could just see players falling down and tripping over stuff to see the reactions, and then compiling a video of them. Especially if the reactions varied by what class and skill level you were in things.

11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

"What sorcery is this!"
    "I hope nobody saw that."
    "Gravity why dost thou seek to make me a buffoon?!?"

12. oGGe

oGGe Avatar

We need to be able to jump, I feels simply wrong not to be able to...

If you play anything besides old Ultima games you are used to be able to jump over low obstacles.

If you have plaed games like GW2 and BF4 you can roll sideways and grap hold of placed above you, beeing locked to the ground feels....just stupid.

BillRoy, OSullivan and LoneStranger like this.
  13. silentskip001

silentskip001 Avatar

I think Jump, crouch, and sprint abilities are essential to making the game feel fresh and immersive. I'm currently playing the first build and while great my character seems to move like a slug.

Subotai, BillRoy, Juvez and 4 others like this.
  14. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Yea, not being able to jump feels so boring, and unrealistic.

15. Reigner

Reigner Avatar

I think it would be nice to be able to jump, crouch and crawl...could make things interesting for exploration. However, one of my pet peeves with online games is when people hop all over the screen like Pogo Joe in heavy plate. To me, that seems even more unrealistic. Sure, if you're in a loin cloth you might be able to out-hop your comrades. (In fact, you may want to for numerous reasons!) But at some point, fatigue should set in...or the occasional sprained ankle....IMHO ;-)

BillRoy and OSullivan like this.
  16. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Aye, bunny hopping can be distracting but there have already been ways to resolve that issue posted on this thread.

I was running around Owl's Head and agree that although the world itself looks amazing for this early on in development, not being able to jump feels very constrictive, unrealistic and slightly bland. This goes along with crouching, sprinting and swimming as well.

BillRoy, Juvez, Ned888 and 3 others like this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

At the very least, if we can't jump up, we should be able to jump down and off of higher levels. Let us jump down off the wall and take some damage if it makes it easier to swallow, but please oh please don't make the invisible barrier keep me walking along the edge until I get to the stairs. I wanna jump down!!!

For the record though, I think full jumping is kind of a no brainer, mandatory type of movement tool. I was thinking of modern games that haven't implemented it and only isometric type games like UO (Aarklash Legacy for instance) and one 'Wanted To Be' MMO Kingdoms of Amalur or whatever it was.

Yeah, we don't want to get lumped in with those guys do we?!!?!

Just play that old Kris Kross song or maybe House of Pain and give us our Jump, Jump!

BillRoy and OSullivan like this.
  18. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Fully agree. It feels very inconvenient not to swim, or to jump....

BillRoy, Ned888 and OSullivan like this.
  19. Sianna Thorne

Sianna Thorne Avatar

I have to say, I understand the arguments against jumping from a dev perspective but from a player perspective it always annoys me when I can't perform a real world function. I'm waiting for a fully immersive game I guess. I sort of enjoy the ridiculous situations you find yourself in when playing a sandbox game. I know that isn't how this game is being made but maybe in the future ...

BillRoy likes this.
  20. Juvez

Juvez Avatar

^This!!!

Love for the jumping and so on! When i tested the game today, felt 120% as above.

LB sayd at irc chat today 12/13.12.2013:

<+deceon> How are you going to implement Jump in the game?
    <@Lord_British> Deceon, we will be playing with that internally this week... no "decision" yet

<+Slaze> Has the jumping issue been brought up? I need to jump
    <~Lord_British> Slaze, working on it...

So i hope that means not all hope is lost! We know that a lot people have showed intrest for it, not just here but on irc chat when i have been idling whole day there. It does not mean they will change it, but i hope they will take it consider and try to implement it even if it means some extra work/time to make that ultimate game!

So people, dont give up yet! We have lots of great ideas on this topic already how to balance/implement it to stop abuse and other issues. So lets keep it up and tell them these are important features too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.