Is it just me or are the forums hurting for new material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Does anyone else feel the Forum topics have gone downhill? I mean i stopped playing SOTA quite some time ago but usually pop in every week or two to see how things are going. Up until about a month ago i could always find interesting reads about the progress of the game, bugs, future etc..

Seems like lately when i use the whatsnew filter for the forums all the stuff is either current comments on topics posted months and months ago, or some rant about i want this or that in game. Is there even anything with meat to it in here? Or maybe its just me finally burning out on the forums....

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

let see you burned out on the game - your words - WHY? well you did not say burend out but you left?

Could it be because the game itself stagnated ? - soooo as a result the forums has also remained at a fixed point where new stuff ??? and old wrongs persist????

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

But yea, I was thinking about this while reading @FrostII 's thread... the quality and quantity of questions about game mechanics (usually a good indicator of game's health) has decreased tremendously.

I would not point fingers because its against forum rules, but its not hard to see how some people are allowed to intimidate others into quitting the forums.

"if you don't like what the man says, you can well go back to UO, right ?"

And who are the most sensitive people ? oh yes, reasonable, intelligent, moral and loyal folks... those we want to play with actually.

The bunch we have here are SURVIVORS...

I get a kind of malicious pleasure when a community forms like that, survival of the fittest, I would probably be even more tyrannical if it was my own niche game I'd develop.

But for a publisher like Portalarium, who wants to unite all players in one new world order under one new god... and publish on steam and hope for an international release ?

Fixing the problem here would be my priority number one, wayyyy before even thinking about reducing screen load times.

Back when we had 14.4k modems, there was a natural filtering of competent people who even knew how to join forums and participate... but that isn't the case anymore, people pretty much will lurk and get a feel of a community by the "vibe" (I know its totally inintelligible and vague but true) it gives out.

I have failed many personal projects because I didn't know how to keep the participants from hitting on each other's heads... so what I hear here is "well let us do our own mistakes", well I say : "you are driving a boat with ten thousand people".

Maybe ask them if they want to be guinea pigs for your social experiments ? Oh and don't forget to offer an alternative boat if you don't want to lose them to the competition !

Gamician likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I can only speak for myself....

1. The game is more playable than ever and more than ever people seem to spend more time in game than on the forum.

2. Arguing on the forum has little, if any satisfaction.

3. I believe in letting people voice their opinions without having to brutally defend it in most cases. It is only when someone is claiming to speak for me, or the majority, that I get compelled to lean in.

4. The current concerns are pretty minor.

5. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Game rocks! Not a lot to discuss until release at the end of this year. Really looking forward to having some new blood in the game! :)

6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Probably because we'd like to spare Berek the trouble of moderating us for saying how we really feel.

PS: @Ahuaeynjgkxs what timezone are you in? I want to see if you can root me with entangle then gust me off a cliff and whether or not any decay is incurred.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Really?
    I kinda think more and more people are realizing release goals arnt going to be hit. And any and every tracking of players implies LESS and less people are playing regularily.

I know the little ive been on, theres even less players on then normal.

Props to the people trying to keep things going.
    Personally, none of the things i cared about ( GvG , PvP, other basic mechanics) have been touched or even talked about..

So..
    I feel the forums are slowing due to people sick of repeating themselves.

I feel some players r realizing issues, others called out months ago.

And i agree with OP. I find very little worth reading on here anymore, due to lack of desire to discuss issues.

I miss the PvP group who tried to make things happen.

That all being said.. im finding more interest in other forums of games meeting more of my personal desires in a game.

( ignoring the annoyance of watching some forum users constantly insult and derail with seemingly no consequences, and the fact i keep getting warned for pointing it out)
    Lol.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I pride myself in sharing my honest opinion. So yeah, really. Alas, honesty and correctness are not necessarily aligned.

Just going to respond to this part. I have felt this way for a couple years now, but alas it does not silence me. My return on forum banter is usually an unhappy spoonful of stress. It not something I have ever enjoyed.

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It seems to fluctuate as we get close to a release, it happens, and we explore. Some releases bring better topics than others.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

11. neveser

neveser Avatar

There are less people around to post new material. Many people have left the forums in including one today. There are also less people playing the game. This has lead to the growing staleness of the forums.
    Looking at steamcharts you can clearly see the decline.
    [​IMG]

Here's what happened after persistence.
    [​IMG]

There's just not that much interest in the game to drive the forums.

12. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Unfortunately, not a whole lot to do in the game. Grind Trolls for drops, grind experience at Grannus or grind silver ore for crafting.

I guess I'll have to find a new audiobook to keep the game alive for me.

Rada Torment, neveser and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Montaigne likes this.
  14. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Just read the last 10 Release notes and you will see that this list is nothing new. I dont know why people hype it and act like this will be amazing. I would party hard when they release a list of content and mechanics they finally complete. Story polish, how many years does this take?

15. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Fun fact, the Goat Simulator has more players then Shroud atm.

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sorry Milady, I missed that, I'm still up tho send me a PM :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

nothing in the game has changed or drastically improved, so people have finally sobered up....

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

When I was developing games, some days I was thinking to myself, but are there still people looking for these types of games (such as SotA hopes to be)?

And yes there is... but they are far and between, and they will be highly opinionated and critical because so many studios promised the next el hombre dorado. Problem is that when they are faced with the ethical choices they hope to convey in their own game... well shortcircuit because reasons "we" know too well about.

My "agenda" is a conundrum, and really at this point I think we can say "our" agenda :p

When the first card in the card castle wont stand, its because the deck is too new, gloss and polish won't help cause it needs life infused in it and this life takes the form of decay.

Some people would like to say its a paradox, but re-read again if you don't get it : decay is a part of love.

I am not afraid : a dark lord doth not rule necessarily by violence, and he's not obliged to care ; he might mind tho. Balance...

Does that sound religious ?

Ah yes I know, my IQ went through the roof again and I'm anticipating.

Decay at the heart of our skills, decay of our body, decay of our magic, decay of the old skeleton so the whale can be born again.

Did I just say that ? Did I even think it ?

Who cares right ?

This game is funded for many years now... there is no doom and gloom, I'm enjoying the depth of the game and many devs.

Maybe I hoped that my "agenda" would not brush old school roleplayers the wrong way, did that cross your mind ?

Anyways, peace yall.

Don't panic, they will get there, its a marathon not a race.

Max Bennis likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As for myself. I've been out of town for 2 months helping take care of my mother. So you will not have seen me in game. I am returning to game probably late Friday night and I'll be in game here and there this coming weekend in between trying to unpack and settle in being back home again and then daily after that.

I for one have not given up on this game and I refuse to give up even with some disappointments and things I had to come to terms with not going the way I thought they should, at least for now that is. So it is with renewed patience I go forward to not giving up.

If it is to difficult for people to hang in there unwavering in their strong support then sit back and wait it out. I would prefer to see loyal backers pull together at what I see as a crucial time for this games development thus giving a strong voice to getting this game release ready.

I was totally disappointed to not see an amazing fishing system coming in before release and so it will have to be later. *Sighs*

I am *crossing my fingers* Big time that at least the upcoming agriculture updates will be deserving of things this game desperately needs before release; which is of course performance improvements, improved load times, much more reason to play, much more reason to explore and revisit areas. I really thought fishing updates could have helped there, but I don't think it will happen before release as Darkstarr said no.

When I return it will be easier to rally for the game. Now it is time consuming and awkward for me to do it since I'm always able to use only my phone, but I do warn you when I get home I will take it on to a larger degree. This game deserves our unfaltering loyalty to the end to see it on its way to release.

Our feedback and ideas are absolutely the most important at this time. We don't need to give up even if some things didnt happen exactly at the time we wanted or the way we wanted, there is still time to make a difference. This game matters.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

But Lady Majoria, the playerbase is highly divided on major issues, some don't even dare bring up the issues anymore, which is pretty much the subject of the OP.

You helped me seize the core of the problem here.

SotA wants to be SOCIAL, yet it fails to create reason... when you want to fill a world you cannot block core issues nor filter out playstyles from being actively discussed until resolved, in an orderly fashion. Beta testing to be efficient requires alot of training, most of my friends get paid to do the stuff I do here.

And sure, I still only do it here... I'm very loyal... but theres a dagger in my back, so I can't dance and be jolly :(

But I love fishing and agriculture don't worry :)

Also the way bugs are being handled right now is majestic, lots of hard work going on everywhere, and its easy to look and see.

Theres bright sides, we just don't need to talk about those... they're already bright :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.