Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ever noticed how you do a lot more running around on the world map in QA?

Discussion in 'Release 46 QA Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Nobody to teleport to :)

It makes me realize how much I zip around with scrolls normally.

I'm detecting some new good improvements I think, but if the world map is going to be enticing enough for me to want to run around on it more than just me dodging encounters, it literally has to be its own minigame.

Event cards, interactions between players, treasure and random loot, I don't know.

I believe it's Sid Meier who warns against having two different games in a game, but we're in it now and it's going to have to happen in order for the whole game as a package to shine.

I also remember Armored Princess when I run around in our map, and I think there's a lot to be learned there.

Spoon likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hmm.... I never teleport anywhere so I don't notice.

redfish likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes, it wouldn't really apply to you then.

Barugon likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Same here. But the little DHTML clock I've been working on, I keep it up so I can see which lunar rifts are going my way. (also, it matches the time on the new in-game clocks, good to confirm again that I got the math right)

Barugon likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think that would only apply if this was just a simple "shrinkwrap" game. When you're going for a "big world" MMO-style game, continually adding and hiding little things all over the place is good. It's that sandbox thing. You can do the main "shrinkwrap" quests, you can grind XP for its own sake, you can socalize, you can play the economic game (aka wheeling and dealing), you can explore, there's some PvP things you can do, etc.

I have definitely noticed a major improvement in new and post-unclone scenes since around the time of Solace Bridge Outskirts. Just look at East Perennial Trail (even with the few updates it's gotten) and compare with the R45 and R46 scenes, holy crap. Clearly the scene devs have finally reached the point where they've had a lot of practice, and know how to put in a lot of stuff without performance problems. The size of the Outskirts scenes is incredible compared to the early stuff.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot

Speaking of Sid Meier's games, overland map travel with battle scenes and siege scenes ==> Pirates!

I think there's a lot they can add to the overland map to make it shine and make the game shine, and maybe I'll do a rundown on my thoughts in a post on how I think it can be made better, but I really don't think as it exists its a real problem per se. Its quicker than people say it is, and I think the main gripe is going through long loading screens and then through control points. I'm with @Barugon , I never teleport around in regular play and make runs across the map. In fact, I think without travel, the game would be so much more boring, because it would be just about going to your designated grinding scene, grinding stuff for an hour, then going back to your house, etc. Basically, just grinding. So, once you've explored all the game content, travel the only thing really that makes the game as is interesting at all.

In any case, I don't think it will help the game if the devs get the idea that travel is a 'problem', which I think is a greatly mistaken POV.

Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, I certainly don't think it's a problem, I actually really like it when I get on QA and do more traveling. But it always makes me want more things to happen during those travel times. I'd love to have some battle minigames that happen without leaving the world map.

Treasures for sure, I think you should be able to fish on the world map as well.

I love that we can use instruments on the world map, and sometimes we do a real slow world map walking parade.

Yes, Pirates! had a lot of different levels of the game, which is why it's kind of weird he said that. It was Covert Action that Sid was specifically talking about though, and he called his greatest failure. I freaken LOVED Covert Action. I thought it was amazing, and wish that there were an update with some controls that didn't suck. To me that was the only downside of it, and maybe what he was talking about. They tried to have car chases, top down combat, hacking, code breaking, wire tapping, and mystery solving all wrapped into one game. If I just ignore the car chases then to me the game is brilliant.

BTW, I never grind. The brilliance of SotA is you and I are playing two totally different games. I've spent all week setting up a new store in Veritas Sanctuary, and prepping a catalog for printing when R46 drops. Today we're doing a rehearsal for a concert in Veritas Sanctuary on Friday, too. Who's got time to grind? :D

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot,

Not really two different games... I'm grinding to get tax-free lots or to enough to pay yearly taxes on a taxed lot. Just in two different situations. Haves and have nots ;)

In either case, I think what you're talking about is social gameplay not really the core gameplay. Someone playing solo is out of luck; all there is to do really is grind. They need to make solo gameplay much better, since it's the core of the game. And travel is one aspect of how solo gameplay can be made more than grinding -- get rid of travel, and suddenly the game would become much more grindy.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I definitely am not saying get rid of travel, but I see a couple people thinking maybe I am? I thought I was kind of encouraging it.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think you are saying get rid of it... sorry if you felt this was an Inquisition :D I did notice how you were sort of grudging about having to do travel in your OP and I just wanted to point out how it makes the game better even as is, without all the nice sugar that I think they should add to it too ;)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Well... for whatever reason, even with my >100 of each scroll in the bank and the 10 of each I carry around with me at almost all times.... I just never use the damn things. I totally should, I even have a decent sized friends list to facilitate the play style... I guess my inner miser is just too stronk.

Vladamir Begemot and Barugon like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My writings are oft misunderstood. I was more intending it to be "I do a lot more traveling on QA, and I rather enjoy it. I can't wait for a bit more things on the map and I may just do it all the time."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.