Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Huge Questions/Inconsistencies upon Completing the Path of the Oracle [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Release 46 Feedback Forum' started by Vyrin, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That would make the Oracle the original Avatar and the Titan of Ether. :) If anything, the Oracle is more like Exodus. :)

discipleofweb likes this.
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Wait, what??

So you are going to go back and re-write the story? That's basically what would be required to do what @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos was talking about as far as crafting a good story.

Did you write out the story and just miss all these inconsistencies and plot holes people are reporting, and are going to go back and re-write?

Or did you not have the story written out beforehand and it's just winging it right now to be able to just go and add better framing? And again where is Tracy Hickman in all this, wasn't he supposed to be heavily involved in the story writing? Did that not happen?

So many questions, such vague statements, I'm so confused as to the official state of things right now.

Ice Queen and Kaisa like this.
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Preachyr,
    why not asking concrete questions for the next telethon in a few days? ;)

4. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Any questions i've asked in telethons previohsly have been ignored, as have ones that my brother asks. I suspect because we ask these types of "hard" questions which they apparently dont want to answer. (See this thread and LB completely ignoring my direct questions to him as evidence.)

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Ha! I will not reveal more about the REAL underlying story, but fear not, it will all grow clearer, in time.
    The original feedback about clarity and motivation was / is greatly appreciated, and RIGHT ON!
    There is / will be NO re-write, it is not needed. The story IS a multiplayer story, as will be clear... in time.
    Preachyr, not sure what your unanswered "hard questions" were... but Tracy and I worked at great length and we are still working together now on Book 2 and Ep2 details. Ep 2 has only been blocked in, while we awaited more final understanding of how Ep1 polish goes.
    At this point, I no longer wish to weigh in on speculation, so I will be stepping back out of this thread.

Thanks!
    - LB

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's not required to accomplish what I was talking about. The story doesn't need to change, the delivery of the story needs adjusted/enhanced.

I'm glad that RG appears to understand my feedback.

7. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Guess I misunderstood the following then, sorry. Seemed like you were suggesting adding something to the story that would make the case for having consequences in the world, which would involve changing the story itself.

Im not sure how you can just change the delivery of the current story to achieve this, but I sure hope they have some ideas on it.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm super excited about this. :)

9. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

So we all get to see more polished Avatar - Oracle conversation in a few releases later than.

Cool!

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I only read through your first 20 or so points, but they were of so high quality that based on those 20, I feel comfortable just assuming the remainder of them are as astute. :)

I think perhaps a lot of our individual and collective frustration may stem from not being inside the creative process ourselves. It's perhaps natural to assume that the creative team has all of these details flushed out ahead of time, and then proceed to write the story in a linear fashion. From what I understand, more often the main trunk and branches of an entire story are sketched out first, and then details are filled in later.

It might seem counterintuitive that the little details mean so much in terms of the quality of storytelling, but are also the least important as they can literally be made up "out of thin air" in order to fill in the gaps as they are encountered.

Richard may not jump in the forums a ton, however I have seen these assurances several times now. He keeps telling us that seeing this is totally normal to have so much yet undone so close to the end, and we keep freaking out anyway! :D

If there's one thing I would add a JIRA for is more information... something... anything... to give us a clue as to how Arabella feels about @Lord British.

For example, I wonder if she knows much about his... tendency... to be somewhat aloof or "missing" in dark times when his kingdom needs him the most. Or that he later came to somewhat regret creating a quest to find an Avatar.

Does Arabella know about all this? Does Lord British even remember? Because I remember. And often times I wonder if others remember too.

Because based on my read of this story so far, the path of chaos is the only rational choice. Indeed the prophecy suggests...

there is no such thing as free will

... which is why I had Jaan try to kill Anais, and choose the path of chaos. I believe it may have been @Lum the Mad who suggested the perspective that the children in Artifice were not even real...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Vyrin likes this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That sound we're hearing right now is the development model working. Also, me laughing out loud at your response.

I've already gotten my shroud and a lot of this is tl;dr for me, so I'm not reading it anyhow. Just enough to see that there are some good "Why?" questions up there about continuity and stuff. OP should still probably have used the spoiler tag.

Because so much of the development time is spent on just getting the world working with very little of the story put in. There are going to be holes in the story when it finally does get put in, and it's only in the last few months when it's complete enough to see the holes. There are also going to be consistency problems due to different bits of the story being put in at different times, as the dev team gets more experience with the system.

These appear to be story/continuity-level bugs. Not my bag, so I just trust that we have folks like Vyrin to check on that side of things.

It's one of those things where you need fresh eyes to look at it, just like how a main programmer should not be the one doing QA on his own code, because he isn't naive enough to do strange things to break it.

12. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

@Lord British, happy new year in your TZ, I think. From what pieces I heard, inferred and fathomed, one possibility I see is that what once was a "sharded multiverse" now collapsed into one realm. Each shard had its own avatar, but now all shards compose a singular one, which makes "observing the strands of reality" a challenging and maddening task, I guess. This is just guess-work, but maybe truth meets some courage here ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.