Loot Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Since last patch i have looted hundreds of teleport/recall scrolls and potions ... Thats one market pretty much dead for alchemists... i would like to suggest that finite items should not be added as loot as it basically ruins the economy of the game ...

Increasing dropped loot with what people craft should not be a trend. Instead i think would be better if components are added to loot table or new components for new items introduced in the game.

P.S. I do not craft scrolls or potions..used to buy scrolls weekly now i dont need to anymore... good for me not so good for those who make.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

so you want it so the only way to get these items is buy them or make them??

Sorry I am happy not having to waste my time gathering more useless resources or spending my gold paying other players fo items that really are not worth the paper they are made with.

They are just fine augmented as plain old loot.

They have MUCH larger issues with loot than these insignificant items.

Mortanius likes this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, I now have tons of scrolls. Theres a lot of people who were perfectly happy making them and lots of people perfectly happy buying them (I would buy them from guildies at discount prices to help support them). It was a great free market economy item. Terrible item to add that deep and in that volume to the loot table.

How about we replace them with random copper and iron ore drops, or even more materials to MAKE the scrolls to help crafting.

Rentier, Rada Torment, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  4. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I think that is the goal... maybe they need to simply turn down the scroll faucet a bit to keep the crater's items competitive.

Rentier likes this.
  5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Would love to see place anywhere lot deeds right up to castle size and a percent chance at any house deed.

6. Knightwolf

Knightwolf Avatar

I like the loot tables that the old Dark Fall "Unholy Wars" game used. Mainly resources,Tier one,Tier Two( Ingots) , Gold and occasionally special items like Recall Stones. Recall stones would be looted from certain mobs. Other drops could only be attained by looting certain mobs. This gave those mobs importance that created competition between players.

I like the OP suggestion in which he was using the scrolls as an example to make his overall point. Even though the scrolls maybe insignificant according to the other poster(In my opinion were made insignificant when they were made craftable)(Fast travel should not be easy to come by). But the loot table in my opinion is not insignificant. It should give players an incentive to go out and hunt,provide some loot that the player can use/sell/salvage and sometimes (Meaning Rare/Not often) give them something they are not expecting. It also should not have a negative affect on crafters but benefit them in some way. In other words crafting materials as loot drops. The hunters/gatherers get this loot and in turn sell/trade it to crafters. The crafters craft things that the hunters/gatherers may want. This is a circle and completes the economy of the game.
    The loot table is most important in my opinion and the lack of decent drops is why I don't play as much. Leveling should not be the only reason to fight mobs.

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I like that scrolls and such drop now, mitigating the need to steamroll trivial mobs for hours to farm money to afford such necessities.
    Yes, it's kinda killed my scroll business - but my scroll business was financing my purchasing of repair kits and things that I now don't have to buy, so it evens out.
    Mob drops need to be better, not worse - each release with the addition of more "patternable" weapons, which they drop like 1/10th of the time instead of every time, the ability to farm cash diminishes more and more. I kind of see mobs dropping more "stuff you'd have to buy" as an equalizer to the fact that you're able to farm less "cash."

The vendor value of kits and such has been nerfed down to 10, so its not like you'll make money selling them - these things are to be *used*.
    You shouldn't have to spend almost all of your money simply financing your ability to fight, that makes the game a job.

I don't think we'll ever see crafters participating in the economy at above suggested level though, unless we seriously rethink making crafters drop hundreds of thousands of gold on recipes, fuels,levelling up, etc. - all to level a skill with which you cannot make any profit. If we completely got rid of 'things breaking during the crafting process and everything being random' we might have a chance - at least then crafters could make custom sets and sell them. As is though, it is far too expensive to do so and you'll always make a loss. That's not going to be fixed by tweaking the loot drops, its only going to be fixed by a complete re-think of the economy and its a bit late at this stage to do that.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Solazur and Nemesis2 like this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Maybe instead of dropping scrolls directly, make it an optional component for scrolls.

Example 1: a component that can be added to a scroll that allows the user to teleport to the zone the component was looted.

Example 2: a reagent needed to use a teleport scroll to choose the destination.

Case 1 requires a crafter to obtain the material and is needed in the process for the finished product.

Case 2 doesn’t cut the crafter out of the loop but still allows for additional loot flare.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The thing is they added this loot so its "christmas" everytime someone loot a body, but the thing they didnt think is when you have too many of the same gift its not christmas anymore. For my part, having 500 regen pots a week from bosses while the alch have to get troll head to make it is just not right. Just like hoarding scroll in bank, i now have a good pile there. And kits.. lol... have to unload a couple everyday so im not overweight. Just like any kind of monster always drop their weapon (kobold for example). or those lesser wand or whatever common weapon normal monster drop. These should be randomized more than that. Not a SURE drop everytime. Dragon neck b one supose to be 1 outta 20 and u can kill 300 dragon without getting one. Why does it have to always drop serpent scale, ore, gems, potions every time? The chance the loot has nothing is more rare than getting an artifact... Bad rng as everyone says but they dont want to admit it.

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

There are people who actually enjoy crafting stuff '' not worth the paper they are made with'' ... some craft wooden numbers they sell em for 50-100 g , some craft blank papers sell it for 10g , some craft wall shelfs and sell them for 100 -200g, some craft bags and sell them for 50g.... granted these are all '' worthless'' items (gold value) which i would never craft and i would rather buy from people who make them.... it creates a balance .... having these ''worthless'' items drop around ingame in massive quantities kinda ruins this balance.. today we ruin scrolls and potions market..tomorrow, who knows ....

11. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Loot system at current state doesn't meet satisfactory level of many.

At least reward cycle is included in devs' pre-launch priorities, so I say we still have a hope that it'll be improved sooner than later.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Weins201 likes this.
  12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

So you're saying its worth killing a whole crafting industry as long as things ''even out'' in the end? Let's take a look at what scrolls industry is and if it should be ''killed'':
    1. There's the FARMER who needs to buy seeds for nightshade/mandrake , needs to plant them , water them 4 times then harvest them.Buying seeds means gold out of the economy ..less inflation.
    2. Then he needs the black pearls ..which if he buys them from vendor means gold out of the economy wich means less inflation.
    3. Then he needs the wood pulp wich requires wood scrap ...which means he either needs to go fight salvage his loot or he can just go buy the wood scrap form people who do alot of sieges /fights .
    4. Now he can make SCROLLS.
    5. This branch of the economy is now pretty much dead ... anyone noticed wood scrap went from 3/unit to under 2/unit and still not selling ?

I agree . I know there is alot of '' rage'' about what we currently have as loot. They tried to quell this rage with loot bags , but they started drop onions and apples, now they're trying it with scrolls and potions..even though the obvious result is very detrimental to alchemists. I think they should take a real good look into crafting ..start adding loot that combined with what we have will create some new stuff ... as long as it doesnt devalue or make obsolete stuff we currently have in the game.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Elwyn, Elnoth, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I cant think that this drop rate will persist for long with the scrolls, kits, and potions(edit:more than a release or 2).

most likely these are just space fillers and testing as they slowly expand the system with things such as the new clothing items and the ashen wood from the reapers. I expect that more and more things like that will take up the spots where we are currently getting the player crafted items.

while I fully expect them to continue to drop into the future it will be a much lower rate its just a massive blow to a comfortable market that's pretty much killed it. only time and balancing will fix it.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I liked it when scrolls were added as drops and they dropped once in a while, sometimes helping me out if I had run out. Now I get a dozen scrolls for everyone that I use, so I have to agree that the drop rate is way too high as it is now. I would like for people to still be able to sell scrolls.

15. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I enjoy the drops as they are. No arguments here. Good work, devs!

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know they are hard at work on loot tables, well or perhaps not for making too many new things to drop but some of it seems forced, like sticking things in bags like grab bags. While grab bags can be fun to open, sometimes they are disappointing too. I too would like to see some newly created loot eventually and one thing that was said in earlier days of development was that occasionally mobs would drop some player crafted things, but who knows now. ;)

I would like to see some nice reward systems in the game eventually for returning players as well as achievement rewards come into the game. Also with treasure hunting I'd love to see loot have maps and map pieces and could be as quest rewards or discovered in crevices as we explore, and as mentioned perhaps hatch-able pet eggs, some different paintings, notes with more little side quests, message in a bottles, special event drops such as halloween candy for buffs, santas missing hat (just an example ;)), and runes that form a key when you put them all together (now to find where to put it and have that be randomized), fishing up a fish who ate a deed on special event days, and other nice rewards on different days. We need lots of reason to play and reason to explore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    vrillx likes this.
  17. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Craft scrolls cost 100-120g (buy reags vs harvest), then you was able to sell them for 130-150g. This is the past, now I feel bad for Lazarus and Jack.

Like some of you said, there are lot of possibilities to improve the loot mechanics, but IMO this was not a good change if we want see players living as crafters.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Crafting scrolls for profit was a poor industry even at the best of times. If you factored in the time it took to make all that wood pulp and how much money you could make killing things in the same amount of time, even selling them for 150g was questionably profitable. Did it deserve to be murdered? No, but neither did all the other things that have been stamped out as ways to make money since persistence. This is just the direction that things always seem to go, pushing the playerbase back toward "grinding trivial content and selling the drops" which seems to be the only 'income faucet' the devs are willing to accept. I've been running a scroll business since BEFORE persistence, and the dribs and drabs of money it brought in helped to finance other stuff I need but by no means would ever make me rich. The only difference now is, I don't need to bother with the scroll business because I'm getting the things it was financing as drops.

Should the crafting industries be systematically eliminated, release after release? I don't believe so, no. But that's what is happening. Look at the pattern, from the change to recipe acquisition adding more and more cash sinks to crafters, to the nerfs of mines, to the THREE nerfs to wolf hats (two to price it sells for, and another adding more fuel cost to it) nerfs of absolutely anything you could craft for even the teeniest of profits - taking far more time than farming cash by adventuring - still got nerfed to pointlessness. And now for even further insult, recipes are now acquired by finding a specific piece of paper in a bandit's pocket, good luck getting one on anything lower than a 5skull zone, new crafters. There is constant pushback against making any sort of money through producing anything and there has been since day 1. At the very least, they are making it so that someone who crafts for the joy of crafting has one less thing to have to farm money to afford by letting repair kits and scrolls drop as loot. I view this as positive progress for the playerbase, and just one more disappointment to the crafters after many releases of disappointments.

What needs to happen is a complete re think of the recipe system, having them as drops is a very poor choice. At the very least everything should be teachable. We want to encourage community and player interaction right? Right? Rethink the only faucet being selling 'junk' loot - involve crafters in the process - letting them turn 'junk' into money. As it stands, a crafter has to work three times as hard to afford all the stuff they need to adventure, and then they need to adventure even more to afford to sink all their money into crafting due to recipes and fuels and god forbid - materials - if they don't gather everything themselves.

At the very least that I can hope this 'killing' of the scroll system perhaps gives the needed wake up call required to rethink crafting and the economy.

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.