Portalrium community artist co-op

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I have an idea concerning art being developed by community members and made into digital goods by Portalarium. The digital goods would be in the form of in game paintings or sculptures. Perhaps other mediums eventually. The paintings would be much easier to translate into in game assets than the sculptures. So, perhaps when voted upon, sculptures would be looked at with much more scrutiny.

What inspired the idea was my wife. She's a sketch artist. She was watching me kill a dragon and said, "Hey, you want me to draw that for you?" That got me thinking.. Why not let people produce art that goes before a small judges panel of community members and game devs 50/50. Once a month the panel goes over submissions and they vote privately among themselves for what is accepted and what is rejected. Only X amount can be accepted per month and the people that submitted the accepted submissions would be contacted and asked how they want their art made available.

The options the artist would have are the following:

1. Art may be looted from mobs, or from specific scenes either in a chest or off of the wall. (at the devs discretion)

2. The art would be placed for sale on the add on store (Under a new section called Community Art). Half of the proceeds would go to Portalarium and half to the artist.

3. The art would be placed in the Make a Difference Store. Half of the proceeds would go to a charity, 25% to Portalarium and 25% to the artist.

4. The art would be placed on a new NPC located somewhere like Central Brit, or something like that. The NPCs name would be Arty The Art Dealer or some other much more creative name that isn't horrible like that name. This NPC would sell the art for a set amount of cotos. Half to the artist and half into the coto sink. This option would actually mail cotos to the attached artist account every time a work of art is sold.

Benefits to the artist:

-The artist has several options as listed above to either make money, store credit, or cotos based on how well their work of art sells.
    -The artist gets to share their art with the world of Sota.
    -This would also provide many role playing opportunities.
    -X (10, 20, 30?) amount of numbered "Limited editions" would be delivered to the artist via the in game mail system that they could do with as they please.

Benefits to Portalarium:

-Another source of income in the add on store
    -Another coto sink
    -A badge of honor for supporting artists in the community and letting them support Sota in return.
    -Another option for supporting another charity
    -A unique system in place that other games don't have for delivering real community content.
    -Content is being created with no cost to you except the time needed to apply the image to a pre-made frame.

For the record, I would be happy to volunteer my time to help make this happen.

@Berek @Lord British @DarkStarr @Chris

2. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Excellent idea, think the way it's proposed is sensible. Would be good if we could get some different sizes as well, something to fill a wall (Mucha - Slav Epic) down to something to fill a gap (Postcard size). Sculpture as well but obviously significantly harder to implement, as it is I think there are a couple of things in game where I feel the scaling is off a bit (Wizard table and most chairs as an example) - sculpture badly implemented could make that kind of thing even worse as the scaling is down to the artist as such.

Applerust likes this.
  3. Hemswal The Descended

Yeah, the sculptures were a bit of an after thought while I was originally putting this together in my head. Would probably have to be much more selective and get one of the devs that does 3d work involved for deciding what's reasonable and what isn't. 2d art that fits the themes and guide lines would be much easier to process and make into an in game asset.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Yes just whats needed another time sink project to delay devs working on game even more! Fantastic idea.

bloodydragon likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Well, I'd like to think that most of us are aware and agree and see that the games foundations are the focus, currently. This should never stop creativity and idea generation. Lists of ideas for the future are a good thing.

That being said, LOVE this idea. Drops, COTOs to artists and/or charities would be perfect (imho).

7. Hemswal The Descended

Thanks for the feed back, very helpful. Did you think I meant for them to drop everything and just work on this right now? You do realize this is the "Wishlist Requests" section of the forums, right?

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ya y not.
    +1

Toddy and Applerust like this.
  9. Hemswal The Descended

Hey, thanks Spoon, I actually did know about this. How this eventually gets implemented is apparently up in the air. So, I gave my 2 cents here on this post for some ideas on how it could be done. While this is my spin on it, I'm happy to just provide some input regardless of how it eventually gets completed.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Hello @Applerust,

Ideas and creativity are encouraged and open
    Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues have been told to take a token

Completion of the game is first and foremost
    Then we all can celebrate and have a big toast

With the suggestion and comments above and please feel free to contact me to discuss. Any talks of "Arts" is great for the game and this talented community/program as a whole.

Thanks for your detailed writings :)

-Mad Hatter

11. Hemswal The Descended

@Mad Hatter Ill drop you a line in game sometime seen when I see you on.

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I tried to encourage the devs to let community members create sculptures as 3d assets and sell them in-game, like an artisan career path, for a couple years. Eventually I gave up.

13. Hemswal The Descended

Perhaps it's something to revisit later?

14. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Love the idea. As for sculpture, to make portalarium work easier, it may be submitted in a precise 3D format. Artist scan the sculpture, make a 3D model and then submit it, only perfectly scanned art could be retained by the jurry. But I agre it may be a bit trickier then 2D painting which do not require much work (I guess painting share all the same templates in the game, it just need to be submitted in the exact template size for consideration).

Applerust likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.