Which kind of story tells SotA?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Sir Cabirus, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The story in those games is, "I got to level X on the treadmill". If you want to call that a story, ok.

The game is in development.

I still don't have meaningful pvp, because the game is in development. I still don't have a rich crafting system where players make the best items because the game is in development.

The problem isn't that they're not trying to make what you quoted. If you're tired of waiting, isn't that your problem and not the game's.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I can't see much of a difference to SotA ;)
    Also, maybe should post something like this in the forums of WoW or TESO. I'm sure the fans would "appreciate" it ;)

I will wait again. But sometimes, waiting is exhausting and if you can't see any progress then this is annoying.
    But I will wait again and see how SotA will progress in storytelling, quests, interactivity and single-player mode.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Mykll and Sir Cabirus like this.
  3. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

you are just trolling now to get the thread closed.

Mykll likes this.
  4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's right, I only played WOW (Elder Scrolls only offline). And yes, they have storyparts.
    And sometimes really great parts!

Well, to be fair, there are a few parts in WOW with more story as this example. Really interesting parts, no joke.
    Sure, most of them are "mailkilldeliver" quests, you're right ;)

And that's the point:
    If referring to those will tell us: there isn't a really great difference between them and SotA - yet ...

I should go back in time and read more of these articles ;) (Sounds great!)
    You're right, if this was said - we can expect greater things ...
    Some of them ... may be next year at launch - and others may be with Episode 2 ...
    Well, the words "more interactive than Ultima VII ..." can't be misunderstood.

So the question would be:
    Is SotA as interactive as Ultima VII was - yet?
    I haven't played U VII completely - I really can't evaluate it.
    My feelings and all the threads I read about, and people I talked to, and of course, people insulted me for telling what I like in SotA and for asking questions, show me, a lot of players don't think so - yet.

So I'm in hope, this will be reached next Releases.
    Then there has to be done a slightly more to be MORE interactive ... ;)
    I think, if people felt the experience of SotA story equal to Ultima VII, they would be happy to wait for the "more interactivity ..." :)

Mykll, Sir Cabirus and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Can you describe the story of the other MMORPG'S?

Can you explain how players impact that story? This is where SOTA, imo, should be different. Having completed the main quest line, I can tell you it's not currently like this. But since we're still in development I have reason to believe that can change, and I've given a lot of feedback to suggest that change.

I believe what Tracy Hickman was talking about is the idea that story telling was a lot more than just flashy graphics and cut scenes. I think the fundamental infrastructure for a good story exists today, but the execution and distribution of the story has major problems that will be fixed over time. I believe that's something that's going to be difficult for people that have been part of this open development model to digest, and I'm really not holding my breathe that they'll ever see it for what it is once it's finished. Like me, they've already seen behind the curtain. But I still think we can get there in large part and I think the story we tell will be superior to any of the game mentioned above. That's "the story" not the graphics and the cut scenes.

6. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Yes! I consider WOW for example one of the weaker storylines of MMOs and the storyline of the last addon (Legion) blows SotA out of the water. I will not write up a summary for you. Just play it yourself. The main questline has TONS of lore and even cut scenes. Not only that, it is actually interesting.

Here part one of an official storyline:

here a cutscene:

just examples.

Your claim that MMORPGs don't have stories completely disqualifies your from this conversation because you OBVIOUSLY either are just trolling or have no clue what you are talking about.

Mykll and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

I just finished saying MMORPG's have flashy graphics and cut scenes, not rich stories and you showed me flashy graphics and cut scenes.

Look, I wish I could say this was a generational problem, but it's not. It's a problem with people of all ages confusing what "the story" is and isn't. The story is the narrative, not the graphics, not the movies you posted above. The story is what can be retold, and in the game of games it's what can be replayed. In that sense, MMO's don't have much story. You are killing things to get levels, the stories don't really impact your ability to kill things and get levels.

SOTA is trying to be more than that. The persistent world is impacted by "the story". One notable example is whenever there is a siege that is entirely integrated with the story.

The way that you're describing "the story" is the same way that people might describe watching Star Wars or reading Lord of the Rings. Yes, those are stories, but you're not really PLAYING them.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You BELIEVE? But is that what he SAID? ;)

Cudos, you do have a talent for wangling a theme to way you need it. You take the word "story" and make it your own so that it fits your argument and your argument only. You do this quite often.

9. Drocis the Devious

The sky is blue.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How does the story of Charlotte being rescued impact the world? Or how does it imact the world if we catch the murderer in Ardoris?

For me, the story SotA tells is like any other story. Basically it doesn't even matter if you take part in it. It doesn't matter if there is a siege and whether or not you are participating.
    In ESO there is a quest during which a city can be destroyed. And it stays destroyed for the rest of the game. Does such a "story" have an impact on the game world or does it not? Is it even what you would consider a story? This is very confusing.

11. Paladin Michael

You're so right! And I really think you and others aren't so far away from each other.
    (Please, hold the pitchforks down! ;))

Well, what I want to say at last:
    People who KNOW Ultima, especally Ultima VII, compete the games to SotA, because of a lot of statements, like the one above
    So for those players it is a different view as yours or mine (I played Ultimas, but not the whole U VII).
    They have their feelings and experience inside their mind (and heart I would assume :)).
    So that's the different view. We can't take that away. And also what was truthful said.

I really think, we are all united in the question, that we want to have a special, unique and a greater story as in a lot of other games can be found ...

So, let's figure out, what it means
    - that the story is told more like U VII ( - well, this was said - so no unfounded expectation!)

I can't tell it - only fans of Ulitma VII who played it for a lot of hours can evaluate it.
    And, of course, Richard, too, I guess :)

Just an idea:
    Make a thread
    HOW IT IS IN SOTA - HOW IT WAS IN ULTIMA (VII)

Give concrete examples, so the developers can read what you mean to approach and make changes, where it was solved in a better way ...

Mykll likes this.
  12. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

You crack me up dude :D
    You didn't even watch the videos LOL
    The first one is purly an audiobook, no graphics at all.

And no your assumption is wrong, it does have a very rich story. if you WOULD have watched the short cutscene you would get a glimpse of it. Don't just watch the picture ;)

But I get it, actually clikcing play might shatter your world in which SotA is the only MMO with a storyline. Open you eyes (and ears) and you shall be illuminated or something like that.

Mykll likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Virtue System.

I had similar feedback, and I actually completed the quest line, I didn't just hear other people talk about it. But we're in agreement here.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. I don't know much about ESO and the destroyed city. Does it have an impact on the game world?

I would like to see more things like that in SOTA. I've given feedback like this already based on the fact that I played and finished the main quest line.

14. Drocis the Devious

There's an entire book written by RG and Tracy Hickman. That's not "the story" of the game, it's a prelude. I wouldn't put that book up in front of you and say "there read that book, Q.E.D". I don't understand why you think what you posted is a good example of in-game story. If that's the bar, SOTA meets that already.

15. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Not what I posted, the game itself. You'll never play it so you'll never know, because you don't WANT to know. I did enough of troll feeding today. Have fun in your fantasy world. If you enjoy SotA, GREAT, no problem, but if you start to create your own fantasy reality around it, it's just not healthy.... and of course, not objective in the least.

Mykll, Sir_Hemlock and Sir Cabirus like this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The whole area changes, NPCs died, others talk to you about the destruction etc.

17. Drocis the Devious

Isn't the plan to have different scene instances where that happens during the main quest line? There are a lot of single player only scenes during the main quest line where this would be possible.

18. Paladin Michael

Once upon a time ...
    A Baron said: "The sky is blue."
    "Are you crazy, man?", said the blind Beggar nearby. "It's pitch black!"
    "No", said a small child and the Baron and the Beggar turned around.
    "It is what you try to see it.", the small girl continued.
    And both, the Baron and the Beggar turned their head, listening carefully to the small girl.
    "Blue or black, if you're watching with your eyes."
    "Friendly, wide and hopegiving, if you close your eyes and stretch your arms up in the sky ..."
    With these words, she took the hand of the Baron and the hand of the Beggar, stretching them as high as she could.
    "Close your eyes, open your hearts, my two friends and don't claim that you've heard or know the truth!"
    The Baron looked at the small girl. Could it be?
    She was blind, too. And he told it to the Beggar.
    The Beggar listened and got sad.
    "Oh, poor child. What is your name?"
    The girl didn't answer.
    "Don't you want to answer?", the Beggar asked.
    "No, seems not ...", said the Baron, shaking his head.

At this moment a woman came around and cried:
    "Marie! There you are!"
    She took her hand and looked up to the Baron and the Beggar.
    "Thank you, Sirs, for keeping care of her! You must know, she is blind and deaf ..."
    With a smile on her face she walked away with her daughter.

After a while of calm, the beggar shouted:
    "Oh my God! The Sky. Watch the Sky!"
    The Baron asked: "What's wrong with it?"
    And the Beggar answered: "It is SO BLUE I never saw it before!"
    The Baron smiled and shook his head. "No, it is pitch black!"
    Both laughed together ....

And people around watched them, as they would be crazy ...
    And well, from their point of view? ;)

Bow Vale and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

So what you posted was or wasn't in the game? And if it's an audio version, aren't you really saying that the audio technology is the story?

I mean SOTA has a story, it's just not in audio voice overs. Again, I think people get confused about what the story is. The story is not the technical delivery and distribution. The story is the narrative.

20. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

What I am saying is that the ingame storyline, not just the cutscenes, the quests themselves, that includes the quest texts and what you have to do and what results you see is way beyond what SotA delivers in terms of storyline.

It ALSO has books, many of them.

it ALSO has audio drama posted on the official page.

The last 2 things are just icing on the cake, but you mentioned the SotA book so..

It's about whats ingame, and SotA can't even keep up with WOW in this regard even though it set out to do something unique for MMO qusetlines.

If you still don't understand what I am telling you then I can't help you, sorry.

Mykll and Sir_Hemlock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.