Suggest and vote on Postmortem themes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Vote

1. Bah humbug

2.4%
  2. DarkStarr/Chaos

15.9%
  3. Ice

7.3%
  4. Merchant

37.8%
  5. Crafter

35.4%
  6. Kobold

6.1%
  7. Fomorians

2.4%
  8. Lore of the Land

25.6%
  9. Spirituality

14.6%
  10. Dev Favorites

11.0%
  11. Obsidian

14.6%
  12. Nearly Naked (the Budner option)

18.3%
  13. Air/Wind (Tsumo)

4.9%
  14. Yule (Sway)

2.4%
  15. Pirate/Sailor/Fisher (Bushmaster)

13.4%
  16. Blood, blood, blood and some splatter on the side (Sara Dreygon)

6.1%
  17. Spring / leaf armor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Rain / Wheather

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So now that we have skipped the seasonal themes and moving over to monthly Postmortems then there will be at least 6 a year not tied to seasons or holidays.

Which means it's a great time to propose some theme suggestions.

In the poll you can change your vote whenever and vote on as many suggestions as you like. So the old "vote early and vote often" actually applies here.

So come with suggestions and I will add them afterwards, then people can switch to them if they so wish.

Examples:

Darkstarr/chaos
    Things that DarkStarr himself picks, maybe inspired by the Oracle and Lord British items. Think lots of chaos symbols etc.
    EDIT: We got this one in R51 post mortem

Ice
    Think similar as flame and thorn. Ice gear like staff, shield or such things.
    EDIT: We got this one in R49

Merchant
    Think aprons, tabards, coin purses, ornate wheelbarrow, display counter, mini-caravan, concession stand, Fancy Vendor Pattern, etc.

Crafter
    Think unique recipe versions delivered as papers, replenishing scraps box, maybe a Supply Bag which gives 1-3 of the upcoming tier 2-3 resources (good way to get them tested), maybe a unique Ornate Medium Planter.

Kobold
    Think masks, clothes, tinkering stuff, clockwork mechanisms, automatons and inventions.

Fomorians
    Elves, trolls, satyrs, fauns etc. think masks and gear.

Lore of the land
    Think history books, regional banners, mini-shard?, Daedalus painting, oracle stories, maybe even a Tracy appearance in the Postmortem or one of his old short stories as an in game book?

Spirituality
    Think ornate candle setups, mini-devotionals, ankhs, etc.

Dev Favorites
    All devs make one proposal each and the community get to vote in the forums on which they want. The six most popular becomes the list. (Ensures a buzz / high interest).

Obsidian
    Think all the cool already existing assets as a complement (or addition) to the bundles.

Pirate/Sailor/Fisher
    Think eyepatch, parrot, striped shirts, flamboyant hats, equipable small chests, hooks in offhand, jolly roger banner, fishing hat, tackle box, "the one that got away"-decoration (a plaque with a reaaaaaaaallllyyyyy long measure but no fish.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Rentier, Bow Vale, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I picked Merchant because we really need more unique looking merchants. Currently we have pod people.

Spoon likes this.
  3. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

It is not on your list but instead of 100k worth of pixel crack I would like to see the 100k go towards a salary to hire another dev for a year.

Xandra7, Hornpipe, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

agreed with Grimbone - spend the money and time finishing what has already been sold, and fix what is broken.

Mykll likes this.
  5. Lained

Lained Avatar

This is the whole point of the telethons to raise money for game development the amount chosen for each tier doesn't represent the total value of creating each individual item otherwise it'd be a completely pointless exercise.

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

r47 Rewards:

Stevvcash likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That would be the "Bah humbug" option, it is the first one in the poll.
    :p

Please note however for them to hire extra personnel and to finish polish etc cash can be rather handy. Where the telethons give about 5-10 times the cost of holding them and producing the rewards. You can check this by looking into the seedinvest paperwork. Thus the telethon format is one of the best way for them to accomplish such things.

It is much more profitable than most addon store stuff, especially vs more housing options (not deeds) which they usually do at cost or with slim profit.

Yea I know, but then this happened...
    o_O

So not to include it would have been rather rude of me.
    ;)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Ice tinted windows
    Ice Laden Flags
    Ice Crowns
    Small Ice Glacier
    Ice Seal
    Ice Walrus
    Ice Castles
    Ice Polar Bear
    Ice Coins worth special unique items
    Ice Gnomes
    ( yep I chose ice:p)

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They just hired a new dev, Kigu Starfish.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Cordelayne and Budner like this.
  11. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Air magic outfits and stuff.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I say it's more for helping to keep the folks they have even longer *shrugs* They already have new folks.

In any case I spread my votes from Kobold on down, items to help with lore, history and heritage. I know vendor customization is coming down the road and folks are very creative.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In hindsight, I think the new monthly telethons make it "feel" more like a money grab and less authentic. I am not trying to make an accusation, as much as just share how I really feel about it. I liked how there was a reason to have a telethon before and not something as trivial as a new alpha release that I may or not play. There is some lost passion s a result of the perception of regularity.

jfoytek and Mykll like this.
  14. Sway

Sway Avatar

I pick Christmas like was said in last telethon
    ??????????????????

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm with Budner on this one.

Budner and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Not to derail the thread but must say I disagree. We all know they will ALWAYS need funding. @Spoon has pointed out that it has been shown to be very profitable for them. I believe the change to monthly is an improved way of adding more income. Folks get a good amount of things for a lousy $5 and some updated info versus waiting every 3-4 months.

Hope things are well @Tahru , hope to see you at the 2018 Con.

Kain Darkmoor and Tahru like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Indeed my friend. If it is on the east coast, I will definitely try my best to be there.

Re: telethons... I totally get it. There are two points of view, even in my own head....

1) revenue... it is not greedy stay in business. Further, it takes money to make people happy.

2) perception.. it is just how one views it through the looking glass. All I am saying is that putting revenue aside, I felt telethons before were as much about reaching out to the community as revenue generation. While now I feel, it's mostly time to contribute to my favorite game. Ironically, I spent tons more before and now I am more likely to spend the minimum because there is always next month...

Sean Silverfoot and Mykll like this.
  18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

And with the monthly weariness what happens now with the end year holidays, and paying for those holidays and other stuff through beginning of next year, when more people will dig their heels in and just say that's enough, at least for now? Is the central hard core group rich enough to keep Portalarium in business?

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

All suggestions added.

Changed my vote to reflect the new options.

Keep it up folks.

20. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I'd like to add a special request to the ice topic: I'd like to see ice wings. With frost pattern. An ice throne would also be nice. And deco furs to hang on walls and put on the floor.

I can do without the ice elemental statue that is promised for next telethon. I find ice elementals so incredibly ugly I barely ever use them, because they hurt my aesthetics sense.

I'll also second the Yule topic. Just don't make it too christmessy. There's many among us that do not celebrate christmas. But festive decorations with fir and pine, red berries, colorful baubles, candles, etc could be very very awesome! Especially for those of us who are about to celebrate their first Yule in New Britannia and have not stocked up on sesaons decorations yet.

If Budner's topic ever gets realized, I'd like to see codpieces please. It's an unforgivable shame that codpieces disappeared from contemporary male fashion, but let us please bring them back in New Britannia at least!

On a side note: I like the telethons just as they are. Seeing the devs and especially Darkstarr live on screen puts me in a festive mood, and in the mood for spending money. But I want something in return. I won't just make a donation, I want something cool. I usually buy stuff at the add-on store for way more than 5 USD, but I admit I wouldn't do that if it wasn't for the price reductions and the telethon rewards.

Leelu, Time Lord and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.