Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Memory Usage/Memory Leak

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by wardgom, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

10/27/2017 11:17 PM
    Title: Memory Usage/Memory Leak
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker?: Yes/No
    Details: The game will end up taking a bit over 6 Gb while loading the world map at the beginning of a play session. While entering another scene, Owl's Head for this example, it will consume more. While running around the town the game will continue to consume more memory, never releasing it. After a brisk jog around the whole town the application is sitting at over 10 Gb of memory usage. Leaving the town does not release any of the memory. Entering another scene will consume even more. each jump in memory usage seems to coincide with the loading of game assets.
    Steps to Reproduce: Use the game client
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12) System RAM: 15968
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Linux.64.683.Date.10.27.17
    Area: OverworldIsland
    Area Display Name: Hidden Vale
    Loc: (236.1, -4.0, 325.0)
    Debug: T3ZlcndvcmxkSXNsYW5kfHwoMjM2LjEzNSwgLTQuMDUsIDMyNSl8KDAsIC0wLjAwMSwgMCwgMSl8MHw0NXwyMA==

Rentier likes this.
  2. edricgarran

edricgarran Avatar

I can confirm this, since I have "only" 8GB of RAM, I'm unable to play this release, since the game crashes before the first loading finishes.
    But I also noticed that it's happening in most of the games I have that are made in unity as well, so it could be an issue with the engine itself (it's infamous for being poorly made anyway).

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im seeing similar on windows my SOTA use is at >10GB now.....n and Im now getting pauses very min or so

4. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems. I have several games based on Unity as well, but have only seen this problem with SOTA. Of course, I have only ever had performance issues with SOTA - so it is the only game I have looked for memory leaks in.

5. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

Now this really intrigues me. That a windows user is also having this issue might actually be helpful for those who troubleshoot. Personally, I would have thought that this kind of memory leak, a very large one that happens as the game firsts tarts up, would be easy to fix. That is assuming they have good design documentation and someone who is familiar with the code base involved.

6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

previously my mem for sota had stayed lower but seeing 10gb (i have 64 so i dont care its 10 but) and getting pausing issues just does suggest somethings not cleaning up right

7. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

i also use win7 and my pc with only 16gb crashed too as SOTA got over 13GB and my RAM was full (other apps had the rest). After increasing my swap-memory on disk it didn't crash anymore...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.