Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sieges

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I think local prices should change reflecting a lack of supply inventory e.g. all the vendors charge more but blacksmiths should pay more for scrap.

Towns need better fortifications. It's weird when the town is under siege but once you get by it's undefended. Some have good gates but other like Ardoris are undefended and always open.

They definitely should be less frequent. They're too repetitive making what should be an exciting event kind of boring.

Elwyn likes this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It may reduce the total time they are under siege, but it would not reduce the frequency of a siege starting. I have cleared sieges and within 5 minutes another one started.

econner likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's hard to say how quickly sieges actually happen.

Are we talking about a story town with ONE devotional? Or are we talking about a POT with all of them?

The rate for the story town with one devotional might be just fine. I could see where once a siege is lifted successfully by the players the town is then protected from siege for a period of time after that. That makes a lot of sense to me.

4. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Yes, I know...now you can but what if what suggested were implemented would avatars at level 1 walk through?

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Yeah something like that would be desirable. However I still fail to get a grasp on what is evil and good and how that will ever play a role in this game.. would really love to know. Right now everything feels very shallow and lackluster. Just like sieges that never really siege the city. ^^

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Evil vs. Good vs. whatever they decide to call Chaos (Neutral, but Starr doesn't seem to like that terminology and prefers to speak in the abstract) are all in development as far as I can tell.

But this is a solid definition:
    [​IMG]

To simply this. If you're taking actions without care for who it may hurt or impact and those actions hurt or negatively impact other people, you're evil. If you're taking actions to protect or sacrifice yourself for other people, you're good. There's quite a bit of grey area in-between that, called Chaos or Ethos, depending on how the action is delivered. Richard has said previously that he doesn't consider PVP (for example) to have anything to do with being virtuous or non-virtuous. So looking into the future I suspect that should there ever be a faction system, your faction will be determined largely by how you interact with the world. For any player that only cares about PVP, that might mean it's as simple as killing virtuous players to end up in the anti-virtue faction.

I agree that all of this is very shallow at the moment. But I believe over time (certainly more than we would like) this will change. For example, Starr already said that by the end of the year they plan to remove the option to Start on the World Map at login. It will be changes like these that form a new environment that is easier to develop a working and meaningful pvp system.

7. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Exactly. @Lord Andernut had every devotional in New Britannia Market until sieges became active. He then removed all of them to keep commerce flowing without interference. I made a similar decision to not put any in the Outlander Welcome Center to keep the coast clear for new arrivals.

Sieges should be a major pain in the rear but if they have more impact, the frequency should be reduced (although I'm not sure that would be easy considering the astronomical tables).

Numa and Lord Andernut like this.
  8. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Horrific concept and unnecessary artificial gating. There's more than enough "time sinks" that aren't fun. We do not need another one, especially so when the people it affects most are the people that have no recourse to actually complete the siege.

Yuritau, Elwyn, Quenton and 2 others like this.
  9. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

1. If a POT has all of the devotionals it is already painful enough to try to get to them. I tend to visit POTs that have 2-3 devotionals that I want. The devotionals are the only reason I visit some POTs, so removing them would cause players like me to stop visiting a POT.
    2. Sieges happen so often that the town/city's residents have become accustomed to them and carry on with their daily lives despite the short term disturbance. If sieges were long and drawn out ( months) I could see them affecting the local economy more but they are all short lived so goods and resources will still be flowing in and out of cities and towns. Life does go on, even in times of war.
    3. Railroading players into PVP towns by having them the only ones not under sieges is a good way to lose players. The only way to increase the PVP population in a game that has a PVE side is to make PVP more appealing not more necessary. Besides, if there is an anti-virtue town with anti-virtue devotionals, would the virtuous not siege it to remove its blight from the world? Then we are back to sieges everywhere there are devotionals.
    4. I don't have enough play time to devote to jumping hurdles just to be allowed to do mundane things in this game like sell my loot. That is not fun, it is annoying. As a casual player I will not chose to spend what little down time I have doing tedious tasks.

Yuritau, Elwyn, Rennik and 7 others like this.
  10. Sway

Sway Avatar

nailed it

Nomalice, Retro and Trihugger like this.
  11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I agree that this would TERRIBLY annoy me if I could not get a group together to end the siege quickly, and I really needed to visit this town for some mercantile reason...

Trihugger and Mac2 like this.
  12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I think the only way to solve the siege issue - short of the most ideal solution which is removing them from the game entirely - would be to make them tier 1 adventuring areas so that anyone can clear them, and relatively quickly, if they choose to take the time to do so rather than running through them.

While we're on the topic, I'll repeat this - boats that go to places that are under siege should not have the tooltip renamed to "Hills Siege" or whatever instead of their actual destination. The actual destination takes priority, but we also need to know it's under siege somehow.

13. Stellos Hayford

Stellos Hayford Avatar

Yeah, I'm personally not liking this concept. It sounds more like an annoyance and tedium to my ears, than something that will enrich the gameplay. Given the plan as described, I would be -immensely- infuriated more often than not. *thumbs down.*

Elwyn and Trihugger like this.
  14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Sieges are already annoying enough having to run through them and having extra load screens. No need to make players more miserable.

Hermetic likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It should be something like "Etceter (Hills Siege)"

Quenton likes this.
  16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

most times it does - boats turned to siege, wagons do too.. maybe its just the rift that doesnt?

17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Nice idea but honestly I don't know how they took the idea of town sieges, and came up with this pve instance.

18. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

well, going through a siege running straight take a bit less than a min, with 30 sec of loading screens, going on the side and having to kill green mobs takes probably 4-5 mn. Low adventure level go through sieges directly. Love the idea of town siege, i would even increase the concept to town invasions forcing players to kill the mobs in teh streets. This would make the world even more dynamic

19. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

must admit, town seiges I did expect mobs in the actual town, not in an instance between them. Even if it just meant more guards at the gate killing them .. i just didnt expect an extra zone in the way..

Quenton likes this.
  20. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I'm hoping for a naval blockade scene when trying to enter or exit a besieged city via water port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.