Data usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slaze, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slaze

Slaze Avatar

So a buddy of mine in Canada just moved to a rural area and has tried every isp available to him. He has chosen the fastest one but has a 20gb cap. I would assume he should be under the 20gb during alpha with SPO and only having access for a few days but as soon as multiplayer is implemented he could burn up that cap quick. He is pretty hardcore as far as time spent in game.
    Does anyone know about how much data would/could be used per hour? If he enjoys this game like he did playing UO he will be paying a ton for over usage!

Thanks in advance

kenkencabrera likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Think 20G is bad. Best I could get here is 10G.. and I have to share it with someone who uses well over half of it and I'm stuck with a 2 year contract. Will be playing offline until after the first few months post launch. Fun fun fun.

Unless I can earn enough to get a new service out here and absorb the penalty on the contract or pay for both.

kenkencabrera and Slaze like this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Caps are such BS. I feel for you guys.

I plan on monitoring a bunch of stuff during my sessions. I should be able to tell you how much it is using. Obviously until they release full multiplayer I won't be able to scope that out portion, but hopefully it will be helpful as the alpha progresses.

4. Root2

Root2 Avatar

10 and 20G OH MY! I have a 250g cap and I have to really watch my usage not to go over. The difference for me is my ISP does not charge you extra for over cap usage they simply disconnect service for 6 months if you go over. Such BS!

Anyway back to your question. If I put in a long day (12-14 hours) playing an online game + teamspeak and nothing else I typically use 2-5gig.

5. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think the only way you'd have problems is if you're doing tons of video streaming. I don't think a multiplayer game is going to touch a 20G cap tbh. Relatively speaking its sending very little data (when compared to video streaming).

Slaze likes this.
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

My first capture shows about 5 megs of usage for an hour.

Obviously there is not much of multiplayer in yet; even sync up the world other than maybe time of day. Also I STRUGGLED trying to get data from WireShark into Calc to sum the 28,165 records in the capture. This also filters in only traffic to and from sota-game.portalarium.com: I have not looked into the capture to figure out if I should be looking at other IPs.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I believe they are also sending data to GameAnalytics. I haven't had time to do my own analysis yet. Stupid work! :)

Slaze and Umbrae like this.
  8. Slaze

Slaze Avatar

Thank you all for your feedback. Looking forward to hearing more. I will try to keep you updated on any info he gives me.

9. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Im on a 200gb cap and I have to continually monitor usage.

10 and 20gb capped plans? Its time to move :)

Time Lord, Maedun and Slaze like this.
  10. Slaze

Slaze Avatar

He just moved to that place and had no idea high speed would be an issue.

I would move again personally lol

sakuraba and Mishri like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There was no other option for me that we were aware of. It's the only wireless in the area and we were told CenturyLink wouldn't install a line out here (which turned out to be false but by the time we knew about it we were already on a 2 year contract :p). Basically we got screwed by bad info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.