1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Community Muster: SotAMap Review for Missing Scenes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Attenwood, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings Avatars!

We recently announced our acquisition of SotAMap and are working hard to continue its development as an official in-house tool for Shroud of the Avatar!

While many scenes have already been created and implemented, there are still quite a few that have not, and will not be visible when viewed from the Map (M). As we ramp up development and support for SotaMap features and improved performance, we will need to know which of these scenes are still missing. That's where you come in!

We are opening up this task and reaching out to you, our amazing community, to help us review which scenes may still be missing from SotAMap. The sooner we know this, this faster we'll be able to roll out new map content!

How to Help:
    Please use the following link to access the living document used to track scenes that still need work:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1epn7KVhj8Yu43AGC1SnBRlNsR2huYCi0HWzzSV_0YBc/edit#gid=0

We have already identified a short list of known problem scenes, but will need your support to help identify others that may be missed!

EDIT: The spreadsheet has two tabs. The first tab is for scenes that have no maps at all. The second tab is for scenes that have maps but have changed slightly since the maps was created.

If you discover a scene that does not have SotAMap support and is not listed in the document above, please add its name to the spreadsheet as well as any notes you think may be necessary.

If you discover a scene that is present in SotAMap, but needs updating due to a present issue (e.g. the map is rotated incorrectly, the arrow is facing the wrong way, the scene itself has been changed since it was implemented, etc.), please include that map name in the Second Tab of the spreadsheet for Maps Needing Updating.

About SotAMap:
    You can follow up and on any questions you may have about SotAMap or our acquisition through the official SotaMap Acquisition announcement found here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sotamap-acquisition.101998/

As ever, thank you everyone for your support!

Attenwood

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2017
    By Tor, Antrax Artek, Numa and 17 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Attenwood
    Is there any way for Linux users to view the updated maps?

3. Attenwood

As of the moment, unfortunately no. In the linked Acquisition announcement thead, there is a brief rundown of the timeline for features being rolled out. Linux and Offline support are currently on our radar for Phase 2 implementation in time for Launch, but not before the end of this year.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So there's no web interface (like sotamap.com) to view this?

5. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

The POT template I intend on using is slated for post-EP1 production. When I make the template swap, will I need to do anything to make sure that SotAMap is updated accordingly?

Bom likes this.
  6. Attenwood

Planned for Phase 1 rollout by the end of the year:
    • Community: Restart community submissions of maps and customization of maps (POTs)

There will be a web interface for changes to be viewed in the future. Just not currently.

Numa, Bom, Sean Silverfoot and 3 others like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Attenwood

Rats Nest is not listed on SotAMap by design. I would like to keep it this way, always. I do not want it referenced on the overworld map, I don't want the mini-map to load up when people enter the town. I do not want other people to add Rats Nest to SotAMap.

Is there anything else I need to do to make my POT opted out of SotAMap forever?

Bom and Brass Knuckles like this.
  8. Attenwood

This thread is not about community requests for POT updates of SotAMap (or lack thereof). That system hasn't been fleshed out yet. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

For each aspect of SotAMap's feature rollout, there will be announcements. The current task is to help in identifying scenes that should have maps but don't, or scenes that need updating.

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

So please everybody there are actually two tabs to the sheet. First tab is for completely missing maps. Second tab is for existing maps that need changes. Please don't put maps that just need tweaks on the first tab.

10. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Suggestion that might be helpful: People are going to tell you items that are missing from particular existing maps and later you're going to look at what they said and go "...where?"

Might be useful as people are adding updates to that second tab to also ask them to take a screenshot of the particular spot they are talking about on the existing map and post it here with a reference to the scene and particular note they added. Either stand on that spot for the screenshot, or if you can't stand there, provide a pointer to the approximate spot in the screenshot.

People do funny stuff when you just ask them to use their words. :)

Spoon, Mykll and FrostII like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Your post seems quite antisocial, so why do you have a pot ?
    Seriously... you used to have a "sig" where you touted your pot as some sort of PvP empire and now you don't want anyone to know where it is or anything about it...
    Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand where you're coming from......... ;)

Montaigne likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...or paste a /loc

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Macintosh support? Or is that covered under Linux support?

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Fund Episode 2 by yourself. ;) That should do it. :D

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Not trying to derail the thread here, so if anyone has further questions feel free to PM me.
    My original intention to purchase of a POT was to have my own little area of the world where I could be a hermit wizard in a swamp. Over time I got away from that idea and began to grow the town into what I hoped would be a place where lots of people could escape the influence of the Oracle (not just me). But the core design never changed, Rats Nest was always supposed to be a place that was out of the way, unmapped, and difficult to navigate (this is still a work in progress). SotAMap (through no fault of its own) made that design choice very challenging, but after many attempts I had finally reached an agreement with Jakub White to keep my POT off of the SotAMap ledger, and that helped advance my design goals.

So to answer your questions, yes it's antisocial by design. If in the past it seemed like I was working towards some kid of "pvp empire" that was never the case. Much like Sitka, Alaska is the largest city in the Unitied States, even though it has a population of just 10k, Rats Nest is still the largest PVP POT in the game, even if I'm currently the only one living there. It's hard to tell what will happen in the future. But whatever happens I'll continue to try to keep the core design elements of my POT.

16. Attenwood

Thank you for the input Senjut. As suggested by Alley Oop, by using the /loc command in game, you can paste the automatically copied content onto the notes field. Not only will it give coordinates, but a hexcode that our team can use to travel to the exact position and camera angle being used at the time of the report.

17. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

A kind of "ghost town" would also give great chances for very interesting quests ...
    Just a thought ;)

18. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Do you want 'under construction scenes in the second tab. I been running about for two days in and out of scenes...checking. There are quite a few uncloned/under construction scenes. So wasnt sure if you wanted those listed or not

Paladin Michael and FrostII like this.
  19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Bom likes this.
  20. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.