Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Crash to Restart when getting Shrine Buffs

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Trihugger, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

10/31/2017 6:12 PM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12) System RAM: 32696
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GPU RAM: 11132
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.685.Date.10.30.17
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01b_template/Verat Chaos
    Area Display Name: Verat Chaos
    Loc: (119.6, 38.5, 145.9)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYl90ZW1wbGF0ZXxWZXJhdCBDaGFvc3woMTE5LjU2NSwgMzguNTA2LCAxNDUuODc5KXwoMCwgMC4wMzgsIDAsIDAuOTk5KXw0LjM1NjczOHwxMHwxNy45MTEwNg==

I posted the above because if I move I'll basically crash again. Anytime I seem to try to get either the honor or spirituality devo's I basically clean crash to a reboot. No blue screen, just complete reboot. Honestly I've never seen this kind of error before and that's saying something being on Windows since Win95 lol.

In case it matters, I jump into the water bath (or try to) to get the buffs.

System is new but it's RealBench stable (I can basically repro this crash myself only @ the devotional parks basically). Otherwise I have no problems. I'm going to assume something on my end got corrupted so I'm going to reinstall shroud in the mean time.

2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Driver ver 388.10

Edit - Updated to 388.13 while re-installing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

As expected, something on my end. Last night was the mass uninstalling of all the things (drivers, game, stability monitoring software, etc). I also tweaked my Nvidia control panel settings some and dropped the in-game "pre-set" to Good from Beautiful.

Lexie likes this.
  4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Great troubleshooting! And thank you for updating us.
    @Trihugger

5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Lexie - Having the same problem again. Managed to repro on my end that if I change my graphic settings to anything other than what I started with, I can get the shrines. If I leave them how they were when I loaded the game I will trigger a full on computer reboot when I even pan my camera around the shrines to say nothing of jumping in the water bath.

I have tried disabling G-Sync, tweaked all Nvidia settings, etc. I think I only got lucky with the above because I had to change the graphic settings on the fresh install to what I wanted and that's what ended up letting me get the shrines... Not the fresh install itself.

11/5/2017 9:54 AM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12) System RAM: 32696
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GPU RAM: 11132
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.685.Date.10.30.17
    Area: POT_swamp_metropolis_01_template/Serenite
    Area Display Name: Serenite
    Loc: (-126.4, 37.2, -489.5)
    Debug: UE9UX3N3YW1wX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFfdGVtcGxhdGV8U2VyZW5pdGV8KC0xMjYuMzk4LCAzNy4yNDcsIC00ODkuNDc4KXwoMCwgMC45OTQsIDAsIDAuMTA4KXwxNzkuMDg3OHwxNi42NzIzNHw4LjQ0NjgzOQ==

That's the hash for where I am (I have this problem at any of the shrines in the 3 PoTs I tried so I assume it's the shrines themselves). Nvidia drivers 388.13 and whatever the most recent Windows 10 is, 1709 I think is the build for the Fall Creators Update. I can't roll back because this is a new install of Windows so there's nothing to roll back to. Looking into finding a way to put a lower version ISO and run a repair but not optimistic of how clean that would be.

6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Lexie - It will be incredibly laborious apparently to load an earlier version of Windows. Is there anything on the Unity front as far as patches/compatibility fixes with Microsoft's most recent abomination that are coming down the pipe? At this point I'm fairly tempted to just wait it out unless there's absolutely nothing that's going to fix this.

7. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Downgrading Windows did not fix the problem. I don’t know of anything else to try as I’ve wiped the entire drive now 3 times trying 3 different Windows builds. Long disappointing night to be sure. I’m not sure how it could be a hardware problem when everything runs just fine in an all encompassing stress test ( ram, cpu, and gpu).
    I’ve also used old Nvidia drivers. Back to 385.something before I gave that up. I used this same graphics card in my old tower and I know I had more recent drivers than that.
    I am out of ideas. Sad face is sad.

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Recently it was announced that there was a Win10 Compatibility issue. I'm not sure if your particular issue may be tied in with it, but check this out and see if it helps. Worth a shot!

Windows 10 Issue and Workaround

Good Luck!

Trihugger likes this.
  9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Thanks Sorthious, tried those early on. =(

10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Bah..sorry that didn't help! It's odd that the crash only occurs at the devo's. Did you update to a newer GPU (or other) driver before the reboots started happening? Normally, if a computer does a complete reboot there is something wrong other than an issue with a game. I would normally think that it's an issue with your Power Supply, Motherboard, and possibly an improperly seated GPU.

If I think of anything else will let you now. If I were you I would scour some forums and see if others have had these reboot issues with your particular video card/computer build.

11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Well semi-good news. Doesn't restart me in the QA. Granted the QA is also running like complete **** with ~3 FPS lol...

@Sorthious - This is a brand new computer I literally just finished building... uh... a week ago? Pretty much since I've had it I've had these screwy reboots at the devo's. Normally I'd agree with you that it's hardware... but typically those are random reboots vs something like this... I don't think stress tests pass in those other cases either. Granted I'm not sure either lol... grasping at very thin straws.

Thanks for the help. Putting all my hopes on the QA at this point.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Brand new does not mean infallible. Stress tests are not the end-all, be-all for determining if your computer is completely sound. Don't get fooled by that. Have you tried other devo's, ones that are not in big cities or places with low framerates? I'm not saying that the problem is definitely hardware based, just saying don't get tunnel-vision when it comes to issues. It may seem like it's a software issue, when it isn't. Maybe let @Lexie know that you aren't having the issue in the QA build. Possibly it's some check or something that the game is doing in Live that isn't being done in QA. Though, it seems odd that it would cause your PC to reboot. Windows isn't giving you any info after the reboot as to what happend?

13. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

No BSOD or anything in the event viewer aside from the “unexpected shut down”.

I can try a devo in a town. Easy enough to test and see. Whole thing is just weird since getting a stupid buff really shouldn’t be doing anything special to cause such a dramatic response.

For me when I’ve had components like the PSU and GPU die or not be installed right they didn’t work well for anything. Never had something like this where I could reproduce something and have no issues anywhere else.

Having to post from a damn phone because the internet is crapping itself. No DNS server response weirdness.

14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Well, if you, for instance, had a break in a circuit on your motherboard, or on a card, then a problem might not present itself until the component gets up to a certain temperature. At that point, as the circuitry heats up and expands, it might entirely lose contact with the other length of the circuit and, then it will cause your issue. I'm stumped as to what your issue is. Still sounds like a hardware issue, but could be software. If you have a spare video card I would try that. Start by removing all non-essential components from your motherboard and ports. One by one, rule out all your components. If you have a spare video card that can, at least partially, handle the game, try that. That way you might be able to at least isolate the issue to your GPU. If you have an integrated GPU, try that and see if the game has issues using that.

15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Sorthious - Well just rebooted itself in QA lol. I'll plug stuff directly into the motherboard and see how that rolls. If that still fails I'll try running to individual devotionals in the Towns and see if its one of them or all of them or something else...

16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yes...try several devotionals. Unplug everything that you don't need from the motherboard and try running the game with only the bare minimum of components plugged in. I'm guessing it might be GPU related, so try running on an integrated GPU if your MB has one.

edit: not in the same town! lol

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Trying the integrated graphics. Good lord are they horrifically slow. I managed to get in the shrine but I also had to lower the graphics to fastest too so null test. I can do the same thing with the card in place and usually not crash. 10 minute load later here I come lol...

Sorthious likes this.
  18. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Apparently the integrated it so laggy I can’t even trigger the devo buff even after standing in the water bath. And it taking like 5 minutes to get in the water bath because I get a frame once in 5 seconds like this lol.

19. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Sorthious - Disabling shadows seems to have fixed it. /knockonwood No idea why or what to tweak to mess with it otherwise, but that apparently was the deal breaker. Shadows worked everywhere else, but something there just threw my stuff for a loop. I don't really like the game's fuzzy ass shadows anyway! lol...

20. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Aye....I knew the IG would run slow, just wanted to see if the reboot still triggered while using it. Congrats on isolating the issue! Hopefully staff can help with that issue. Still super odd that it would cause a reboot.

Trihugger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.