Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thoughts on R47

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Mishikal, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

After spending quite a bit of time playing R47, I've got an idea of what makes this release work for me, and what doesn't.

Pros:
    1) Reapers -- I know they first started showing up in R46, but I didn't encounter them until this release, with their expanded territory. Very fun. One nit -- They can get "Cover" when their roots are behind a small stone or they are in a small depression. Somewhat odd as an archer when 99.9% of the Reaper is fully in view, but they get reduced damage due to Cover.

2) Multiple entrances to scenes -- Also something that started in R46, but really became impactful in this release. This is exceptionally helpful, and helps encourage exploration. Looking forward to this feature expanding to additional scenes.

3) Faster load times -- Very noticeable. I no longer have to sit and play some other game while waiting to load into a scene. ;)

4) Smoother graphics and audio -- This may be in part to running in Windows 8 compat mode. I still encounter the occasional video hitching, but nothing like I did in R46. I've had zero instances so far of audio corruption, which was a constant drag in R46.

Cons:

There was really only one downside I found to R47 vs R46, and that was the changes made to the buff system. I've not seen any explanations so far that make any sense in relation to this change. One person said it was because people could create a "Buff" bar for the longer lasting buffs, and switch back and forth to it. Nothing in what was changed makes it no longer possible or reasonable to do that -- The long lasting buffs are still long enough to make that an effective strategy. What this change does do, though, is go against what this game advertised as one of its selling points -- The ability to stack (and now charge) glyphs to get a more powerful version. I understand why some change was necessary to buffs like the shields. But making it so stacking/charging them does nothing seems the wrong solution. Something like increasing the reagent cost per stack seems much more in line with the way in which the game works -- I.e., if you have up to skill 80, and can buff 5 times, then you have a 10% (20%?) increased chance of using the reagents necessary for that spell, but you also get the longer duration and stronger effect. And the changes are not applied consistently. For example, charging the "light" glyph (a long lasting buff) still makes the duration increase. I think the R46 behavior here made substantially more sense and conformed with the narrative of how glyphs function.

@Chris

Numa likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I have to agree the reapers, entrances, and load times are great. I don't understand the buff changes either. If a 5 stack is "too powerful" why not reduce the power overall until the 5 stack is where they want it instead of removing that functionality? As it is now, I see little reason to dump more XP into those buff skills beyond 60-70.

Mishikal likes this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's an interesting idea for the long-lasting buffs, for sure.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Umm... because they're longer lasting and more powerful at 100?

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I guess the underlying question is whether or not the gain in power & duration is worth the XP investment. Certainly eventually, as options dwindle on where to drop XP for the most gain, but maybe not up front. Personally, I like the idea of them picking where they think the max power/duration should be, and making that the fully charged/stacked amount, and reducing from there. Then there is clear incentive to level the buff upward and to charge it.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That is something that you need to answer for every skill you raise.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sure, but part of the incentive has been removed. It could be done in a way to increase not only the incentive to raise them, but also to stack/charge them, as the game advertised as a selling point for its combat system.

8. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I was curious as to how does one 'charge' a glyph now?

9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It has to be locked into a slot, then you can hold it down.

mike11 likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can still combine unlocked glyphs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.