Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded]Unable to get stable 30fps+ with Titan XP

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Markee Dragon, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markee Dragon

Markee Dragon Avatar

I have a Titan XP video card. It is the fastest video card available. But I have issues that I am unable to get good FPS. In fastest I can get 30fps part of the time in towns. At 4k the fps is a little lower than it is in 1080p. But not by much. It is not uncommon for my fps to go into the teens even on fastest when in towns.

I should be able to run the game at "Fantastic" in 4k with this video card. But when I select this I go to single digit fps. When I check the GPU load. It tends to sit at 20% peaking at 40%. If the video card was the limiting factor here I would think it would be at 100%.

I understand there is something with Unity here and how it uses the cores in CPUs. Or lack there of. This issue for me however is a game breaking. The experience of low fps makes me dizzy. Any game that causes me to feel this way is unplayable.

I will mention one other thing. My laptop has a GTX770m in it. My laptop gives me better performance at 1080p than my monster gaming machine when it is running at 1080p. I have no clue why. But maybe that gives some sort of clue that there is just some setting or something that needs to be changed.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  2. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Don't feel too bad. My wacom tablet (i7 cpu but only iris 6600 graphics) is doing better than my Ryzen7 1700 and rx580 8GB currently.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you very much for the report. Would you be able to provide the following details for us to investigate further:
    1. Location coordinates for specific spots in towns that feel like "dead spots" where framerate is notoriously worse than other locations.
    2. This report mentions towns exclusively. Does this issue not occur in adventure scenes?
    3. Would you be able to provide your full system specs for us to check against?
    4. Is this a recent issue with R48? Was this problem nonexistent in R47?

Thank you again. Continued work on addressing performance for players is our top priority.

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Markee Dragon - I saw the same I moved from a laptop with 1080 mobile to a desktop with way more processing power and SLI'd 1080 TIs ... and get lower fps in most areas.. I should be ripping through this I play at 2560x1440 and yet like you my fps is not as expected.

Right now Im at a loss as to how this desktop can perform less than a laptop with mobile version of the graphics. Only thing I do see improvement on is CPU usage but then Ive gone from 4 threads to 32 :p

5. autodeath

autodeath Avatar

The same problem probably. Overall FPS lower, not stable.
    In Kiln lower FPS than usually, on Novia after fresh start of client FPS lower than usually but playable, cca 30-40. Huge fps drops on spells VFX. Please see Novia overland behavior on video.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series on Fiji GPU
    Drivers: Crimson ReLive 17.11.2
    OS WIndows 10 Pro
    SDD

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. autodeath

autodeath Avatar

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. SpaceNinjaPirate

SpaceNinjaPirate Avatar

I just felt a similar feeling today. With a new 1070 Ti and a new 165Hz G-sync 1440p monitor I was getting barely over 20FPS all over the place.

Then I went into NVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings and created a profile for SotA. I told it to ignore the application settings for things like Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering (plus a few other things). I now get 70+ FPS practically all over (except the odd place in towns).

Maybe this is something that might also help you out.

8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Would be interesting to know which settings you picked. As well as which graphic level in sota

9. autodeath

autodeath Avatar

It happens in every zone on all game video settings, even on the fastest. GPU activity typically drops during this moments, CPU, especially the main core has significant usage drop 10-20% during this FPS drops, there is some HDD I/O activity, mostly read, but not huge, usually around of order of 200 kB/s. RAM usage keeps growing up. Looks more like a thread(s) are waiting for something.
    During times when FPS does not drop that much the feeling is not fluent camera move perception, there seem to be perceptible (micro)suttering during normal high FPS values. During faster movement it gets worse. It's better where less objects are (first floor of Elysium mine).
    Hope that might help. It's almost unplayable for me.

10. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the feedback. This thread has been submitted to the teach team for further review.

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

A few changes will be going in the patch today that should help, especially some of the Mac users.

Currently the game is still largely single threaded CPU bound. That means the best performance will be on a box with the fastest single CPU core. So having 16 cores won't see much if any difference vs 1 core. Improving this will be our main focus for R49.

12. autodeath

autodeath Avatar

Well, now it's richer:). But still quite bad even on lower video settings in the client. (I did not have these problems before R48, at all).
    One core used by client (the one used for feeding GPU?) keeps typically on 100% of usage, so it's being finally a bottleneck my CPU. I got several decimals seconds "freezes"
    [​IMG]

When the above described behavior appears, the load of the both the most utilised by the client cores drops down significantly. The typical graph:
    [​IMG]

13. Markee Dragon

Markee Dragon Avatar

[​IMG]

@Attenwood
    Location: Area: Crossroads (POT_forest_metropolis_02_template/Crossroads) Loc: (73.0, 36.0, -300.8) DBG: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAyX3RlbXBsYXRlfENyb3Nzcm9hZHN8KDcyLjk2NSwgMzYuMDQ3LCAtMzAwLjc2OSl8KDAsIC0wLjAwOCwgMCwgMSl8NzE5LjQ1ODF8Ni42MDMxMjh8Mi41OTAxMDc=

Standing in this location I get an average of 20 fps. Graphics are set to fastest. I'm at 4k resolution. I have another bug report where I can not change my resolution. I do SotA shows at 1080p but have halted all of them because I can not change the resolution. In the past changing it to lower gets me like a 10% increase in performance. Also of note. I was previously able to manually resize the gameplay window by grabbing a corner of it. I can no longer do this. Or I would use that as a backup for changing resolution.

I am playing in windowed mode. Full screen is not an option when streaming the game as a tab out minimizes the gameplay window.

The FPS problem is not just towns. It is everywhere. It is to a lessor degree however in adventure scenes.

Game version is the latest as of posting this.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/23/2017, 06:23:43
    Machine name: HEXAMONSTER
    Machine Id: {04CA77EE-9774-4C65-B629-8CEB98514566}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer:
    System Model:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 24576MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 24500MB RAM
    Page File: 33703MB used, 54284MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

2 GPUs. GTX 980 and Titan XP. The game is running on the Titan XP. Biggest issue I see here is the fact that the GPU load is only 40%. All other games max this out. SotA is not properly using my GPU.

With my setup there are 7 monitors on this system.
    3 4k displays and an HDMI out that is also 4k on the Titan XP.
    GTC 980 has 2 1080p with an HDMI 1080p out as well.
    Both HDMIs are outputs to a secondary machine for video capture and broadcast.

14. Markee Dragon

Markee Dragon Avatar

I tried this today. Did not seem to change anything for me. If you had more detail on the exact changes you made that would be awesome.

15. Markee Dragon

Markee Dragon Avatar

Also of note. Changing to fantastic. FPS is 3. GPU still low useage. In fact is falls from 40% to about 20%

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  16. SpaceNinjaPirate

SpaceNinjaPirate Avatar

FINAL EDIT: I had a list of settings that I had set in my SotA Nvidia control panel profile here. In my infinite wisdom I actually deleted that profile and recreate it to try to find the bare minimum settings I needed to get better FPS. Of course, I didn't document anything anywhere and now with this new profile I'm getting varied results with what I thought were the things I set. So, until I get something nailed down again, I too am suffering somewhat poor FPS again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.