Mistress Valdis

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Proteus Tempest, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OH my, ummmmm, fought the dragon yesterday, hes harder, much more risk involved, I would hate to see that power in kors hands, it would be mac slaying by dragon video.

Obsidian Tempest likes this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Hey Drocis, it took me another round of slaying some Ebon Dawn cultists but it finally dropped. Unfortunately, after I turned it in nothing happened, @Rentier did Bloody Bones appear after you gave the book to the three stooges? :D

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I never got a book I could give to the kids. (no quest flagged item)

So I don't know if it's bugged or not.

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It may not be, I literally had to kill about 45 Ebon Dawn cultists before it dropped but it finally did. It was "Ballad of Bloody Bones" and it was highlighted in yellow.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'll give it a try again sometime this week.

I'm ok with having drops be rare...but making that clear to players is going to be key to making them not think it's bugged or having them get frustrated and quit the quest because they don't get what they expect. Not sure how to make "low drop rate" clear to players in an immersive way. :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Just keep killing the baddies in the abandoned town. I've had it drop three times-- in order: a cultist by a well, from Bloody Bones itself, and a cultist by the ditch. I had to give all three books, one each to a different kid, to finally clear the quest. I received XP and gold for each turn-in.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah but how did you find Bloody Bones? Still looking for this guy! :)

8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I stumbled upon one of its spawn points as it was spawning. Go to the beach...

9. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

for my main char bloody bones appeared bbefore i had the quest of the childs
    for both side chars i got bloody bones after completing the childs quest but i was there for 2 houirs slaughtering skeletons and the cultists there, so i have no indication when and where bloody bones will come out
    but if i recall correct it was always near the gate coming from the graveyard so there may be a position with some variables to be spawned
    @Puuk some insights here?

10. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

really - i only got one and all children now say i already gave the ballad :(

would be nice to get it more often for each kid thow :?

11. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

If you got 3 drops of the quest item and were able to turn in each book to a different kid, then that's a bug! You should only ever get one drop of the book (as long as you have one in your inventory, you shouldn't be able to get another drop). The quest should clear after giving it to the kid of your choice. You should not be able to give a book to all 3 kids AND get credit for each. Just one kid and one book. Please write up the bug with complete repro steps so I can take care of this (as I can't seem to repro this, so I'd like to know what mojo you did to make this happen). Thanks in advance!

Cordelayne and Rentier like this.
  12. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Bloody Bones is just a wondering scene boss. He's not part of any quest. He has a couple of rare drops, but beyond that, he's just a "legendary" critter to stumble upon. He has a chance to spawn in one of 5 different areas in the scene so he can't be farmed (very well).

Cordelayne and Rentier like this.
  13. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

You actually got the proper way for the quest to progress and complete.

Side note - it looks like I'll be upping the drop percentage chance to 20%. Several people seemed to get into a perpetual unlucky streak of not getting the drop from the plethora of Ebon Dawn culties flittering about in the scene.

14. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That'd be fun, and I'm sure we'll do that more, unfortunately though the method we have currently for spawning baddies makes them unlootable/skinnable =/ Will ask about a way to change that and be in 'Seer' mode.

Rentier and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  15. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

I'd take a trash talking dragon, daemon, troll, run by a dev, with no loot drop over a regular mob any day. I'm not saying spawn after spawn is a no-loot dev mob but every once in a while It would keep everyone honest. ;) Imagine getting to the top of the plateau in southern grunvald barron's and the dragon flies over and starts mocking the group. The rp potential as well as the challenge would be worth it. :)

Witcheypoo and Proteus Tempest like this.
  16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Wish I had known before because I would have reported it as a bug. I had to get 3 separate books and give to a different child each time (so I had to make several trips back and forth to that area).

The conversation changed for each child individually as I gave each one a copy of the book (Marked Quest Item... they didn't accept the deco versions). They all were asking for a book and once I turned one in, that kid stopped asking for it but the other two still asked for it. It wasn't until I gave all 3 of them a copy that all their conversations changed.

I did get quest rewards for each turn in though and I thought the intent of the quest was to give them each a copy.

Furthermore, before that, I killed Bloody Bones many times as I ran back and forth and he never dropped the bloody skull... but as soon as I gave the last kid a book, he dropped it on the next kill.

So, all along, I thought him dropping the skull was predicated by me giving them all a book. :(

Rentier likes this.
  17. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I can't wait to encounter Mistress Valdis again.

18. rolluf

rolluf Avatar

I played a while back, but restarted my character to see the update to SBO. I really liked the Bloody Bones theme. Also, just for others' knowledge, I killed Bloody Bones once, but didn't get any drop from him. The Ballad of Bloody Bones booked dropped for me in the second group of ritual assistants that I attacked.

The children are a nice addition, very creepy. I was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned "Valdis" to them :) I could see this being developed further as a long side quest, or even as part of the Love questline, where Valdis may represent a form of corrupted love (extreme love of life, love of power, etc.)

Witcheypoo and Rentier like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Perhaps we are witnessing the birth of potential minor (or major) villains here? Between Valdis and the "anti-druid", both who are presumably immortal.. (or claim to be).. maybe even that guy from Aerie might become significant at some point in future episodes. It would be interesting to see their rise to power unfold. Like Valdis takes over control of the obsidians.. the anti-druid (whose name I won't even attempt to try to spell correctly at this point) adds a little extra power while the other guy (can't remember his name either.. heh) makes a 'deal with the devil' and finances the whole thing.. a new trio of evil as it were.. would be SO Lord British..

20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Rentier, Bowen Bloodgood and Olthadir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.