Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded]OS X graphics resolutions totally screwed up (Unity?) + epilepsy trigger is back

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Widsith [MGT], Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

1. Attempting to change resolution in the OS X client video menu changes only the size of the display window, not the resolution. So you get a sub-screen sized porthole, it does not maintain the set window size. So now I can run full screen at 3 fps, or have a tiny window with dinky text. Lovely. And it just did a 'PEACHPIT' and dumped me out of game while sitting here not moving, so the game is basically unplayable on OS X. @Lexie @Attenwood

2. The previous rapidly flashing black/white display before the games splash screen appears is back. This has been reported (and purportedly fixed) several times before. Look unprofessional and could be a serious issue with anyone prone to seizures. (Note: This never went away entirely: I have two monitors, and in previous releases if the mouse cursor and/or the UI focus were on the second monitor during the launcher->game transition, the window would come up on the second monitor and would do the epilepsy display. Probably the game should use the same monitor as the launcher window, regardless. I hadn't reported this as yet, but maybe it's a clue why this annoyance keeps coming back.)

11/16/2017 11:28
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details: OS X video is fubar
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5675R CPU @ 3.10GHz (4) System RAM: 16384
    GPU: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 6200 GPU RAM: 1536
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.OSX.64.693.Date.11.15.17
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01_template/Rift's End
    Area Display Name: Rift's End
    Loc: (43.8, 89.2, 4.8)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfFJpZnQncyBFbmR8KDQzLjgxNCwgODkuMiwgNC43ODUpfCgwLCAtMC43OCwgMCwgMC42MjYpfDI1Ny40OTg2fDEwfDcuMDUwNDA3

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

These are problems that the Mac client suffered from for as long as I can remember.

For R47, I noticed that the seizure-educing flashes hadn't occurred in window mode for some reason...

Lexie likes this.
  3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Attempting to change video Quality Level to Auto crashes the game, gets spinning beachball followed by ALTAIR error.

Resizing window results in hard machine crash, reboot necessary.

Client restart is back at 3348x1652 resolution - NOT what was last set - and again a mighty 3FPS.

Seriously borked.

4. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

The porthole effect is due to how macOS handles full screen apps - it assumes they should be at the monitor's native resolution. Changing the in game resolution does indeed change the rendered resolution (as a final step Unity upscales the rendered image to the app resolution) which should yield improved graphical performance. However, many scenes are still CPU bound meaning that any graphics improvements via reducing the resolution may not be very helpful.

This issue has never went away entirely and is a lingering Unity bug. It can be bypassed by starting the game in metal mode from the command line (which may result in other graphical issues as metal is not fully tested).

5. Undone

If your game is crashing while attempting to adjust the resolution those settings are likely not getting saved resulting in the default res getting set on the next start. I am able to select auto quality here without issue as is @Attenwood on his machine. The likely difference here is that your computer has an integrated card and ours do not; I'll have to try the client on my mbp when I get home today to see if I can reproduce your issue.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Does that start the client while forcing metal or does that change something in the application that, from now on, forces metal?

7. Undone

Just for that session. Next restart you would have to do the same.

Gix likes this.
  8. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

That does not explain why it worked differently in previous releases. Changing the app resolution kept the same window size and adjusted the pixel count. And I'm not in full screen mode anyway.

9. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

So.... OS X client is not being tested on the most common installed base machines???

10. Undone

In windowed mode the game adjusts resolutions as expected. I wonder if you are experiencing an issue with 10.12 and Unity 2017 (major chance between this and last release); can you share a screenshot of what is happening (use the build in app called Grab)?
    @Attenwood tests the mac client on an ancient iMac and I test the mac client on a mac pro. Unfortunately it is impossible for us to cover every hardware/software configuration.

11. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Yup, I've got some screen grabs, uploading shortly, after trying a few more experiments.

12. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

OK, here are some screen grabs, not sure how helpful they will be, but...

#1 What it looked like at startup. Game resolution came up at 3348x1652, NOT what I had in R47. You can see I'm getting a mighty 3FPS.

[​IMG]

#2 Same thing as a full screen grab. You can see the screen area owned by OS X is running at a lower resolution than the SotA window. (ISTR the iMac display is always running at its native resolution, the driver chip automagically scales lower res graphics areas into that.)

[​IMG]

#3 Same thing after doing a res change in SotA (but not at the OS X level). The window shrinks, the pixels stay at the same pitch. This is NOT how it behaved in prior releases - instead the window stayed the same size and the ppi pitch decreased.

[​IMG]

#4 After I changed the OS X system resolution to its lowest level. (Restarted SotA on overworld, got tired of racing the POTPIE alert to get a snap.)

[​IMG]

13. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

The white flashing needs resolved ASAP. It's actually given me a migraine and I now need to open the game with my eyes closed. Please make sure you reopen your eyes when fixing the bug devs. :)

14. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Chris has indicated some fixes will be going in today to address some of the issues for OSX.

15. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

Updated my client today but epilepsy fit still occurring.

16. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Bug is re-opened for OSX flashing: 38550. Sorry, not yet fixed. We can repro internally.

17. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

I am getting not just the white to black flashes on start up, but also flashing black bars while the game is running.

This never happened prior to r48; is this going to be fixed?

18. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Undone @Lexie Do any of your OS X test machines have a Retina display? I'm still trying to find root cause for this and the forced res change at startup.

19. Undone

I have tested this on the following:
    mac pro with 3x 1080p monitors, then 2x 1080p monitors + 4k monitor (tried multiple scalings)
    imac with non-retina display
    15" macbook pro with retina display
    hackintosh with 3440x1440 ultrawide

On QA I added a launch arguments field to the launcher (click the sprocket) which makes it a whole lot easier to enter "-force-metal" if you want to give that a go. (see this thread for more info)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  20. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Undone Results of some experiments on current production version 705. This is with my late 2015 iMac, 21.5 inch Retina display, running SotA in full screen mode in all cases.

Tried default text size, bigger text, biggest text resolutions on Display Preferences. (This is the funky Retina preferences that don't tell you realized resolution. Everything is scaled on Retina, so native resolution is always the same.)

In each case, every fresh SotA launch (full screen) reverts to apparent system resolution: 4096x2304, 3360x1890, 2560x1440 respectively, regardless of in-game res setting at previous quit.

Setting "Open in Low Resolution" in OS X Info panel for both Launcher and SotA app has no effect on this. However, it does have side effects: If set at launch, there is no 'epilepsy display', but instead a white screen until the SotA splash loads. If not set to LowRes, the default res comes up with a black screen until the splash, other res gives the epilepsy show. Additionally, if Low Resolution is set in the largest text mode (2560x1440) SotA comes up with visibly pixelated fonts and cursor. If it is NOT set, then SotA text is nicely anti-aliased, though the cursor is still visibly pixelated (!?). (This might be happening at other resolutions, but my eyes aren't good enough to tell.)

This sure looks like some sort of trainwreck between Unity trying to figure out its running graphics environment, and something unanticipated / untested in the Retina rendering & scaling chain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.