Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Lunar rifts and scene entrance choice

Discussion in 'Release 49 QA Feedback Forum' started by Elwyn, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ation-rift-be-in-the-destination-list.105779/

In the current QA, going through a lunar rift (with no siege) presents you with a list of destinations as though you had entered from the overworld. The problem is that you can no longer exit at the rift, and there are some rifts near player lots, thus removing previously existing access.

I'm kind of iffy about this change immersion-wise. I could accept the entrances from the overworld because you're just kind of going around before going in. I could deal with sieges messing up rift transport as something affecting the rift's power and bending it to dump you outside the town. But rifts basically appear as something you go "through" to the other side, and choosing the exit just doesn't feel right.

I'm also similarly iffy about town-scene boats letting you choose the destination. This happened for me first with the Kingsport -> Central Brittany boat, but at least it had the docks selected by default. The change to rifts currently doesn't even allow you to end up coming out of the other rift as before.

Drake Aedus and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

I personally like the rift-to-rift transport mechanism, and would (will?) be sad to see that go away.

3. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks, the entrance selection on Rifts would be a bug, looking into it. I'll have to think about the situations like Kingsport -> Brittany boat.

Elwyn likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its also the same situation where you can go into Central Brittany from land and select to enter from the docks.

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I accept that as part of the "go around before you go in" thing in terms of immersion. Many town scenes with docks allow you to choose the docks, so presumably you found a small boat to "go around" in to reach the docks. If there is a siege, you are prevented from going around in a boat as well as the other entrances.

Even Blood River Outskirts has a dock as an entrance choice. Note that Owl's Head has no docks in the central part of town, so no entrance to get there.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Elwyn

Its the exact same thing in reverse, though... you might as well say you took the boat from Kingsport to somewhere outside of Brittany and then went around in a different way. If they wanted to be strict about this they would split the city entrances into "land entrances" and "sea entrances" and only give players one of those lists.

It is true that on top of that, though, the whole discussion is a complicated by the fact that there's a boat to the Hidden Vale that you can click when you're on the Overland map. So you can point out that if you can go to the boat from the Overland, you might as well be able to go to the docks from the Overland, too.

And to be honest about all of this, my normal method for going into Central Brittany has been to click on the boat to the Hidden Vale on Novia, enter Kingsport, take the boat from Kingsport to the Central Brittany docks. So having an entrance to the docks from the Overland does save me a bit of time in comparison to that ;) However, I'd still say that if they wanted to be strict about the storytelling/RP aspects, they'd restrict that, and it would probably benefit to even require you to go to the docks to use the Hidden Vale boat rather than accessing it Overland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.