1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q1 2018 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I hope not the consequences for the economy will be dramatic .Highest demand for ore comes from the leveling process . Couple that with the new refining skills ... we gonna have tons of stuff underpriced that none needs anymore because supply will always be higher then demand.

StarLord and K1000 like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's a fun game to play right now, but I think the biggest value SOTA has to offer is an active development team that makes huge changes month to month. I haven't personally played other games where that's the case. This is a unique development model. Normally you'd have to wait for a major expansion (that would cost you more money) and you'd have no real access to make actionable feedback with any type of expectation that what you were talking about would be 1. Listened to, or 2. Improved. That's not the case here for people that know how to work collaboratively.

You may be surprised how many people enjoy this game, and how many people tap into the development process and find the month to month conversations with the devs a real benefit. I'm hopeful that we'll get enough new people that "get it" and that will sustain us into EP2.

There's a softcap that already does that. The only problem is that people who race ahead have already burned through all the existing content. What Port needs to do here is pull the reigns in on those people (probably less than 1% of the current population) and everything will be just fine.

3. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

You may be right, but there will definitely be a transition period in the economy, if there is a big influx in the player population. So I guess this is to be expected.

4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@DarkStarr @Lord British If I might presume to speak for those of us running SotA on alternate platforms (OS X, Linux) you are not ready. Every release that uses a new version of Unity results in stability, performance, and usability issues for us. Right now I am looking at a production R49 that is barely playable, and is worse than preceding releases in performance, even worse than R49 QA. I can't see any of the 'improvements' in scene performance or fps because the graphics system is so cacked up.

I'm aware that a lot of this is not your fault directly. Unity seems to be pushing out new versions without adequate testing and performance work against the installed base of OS X and Linux. But, since you chose Unity and advertised SotA to work on alternate platforms, you are stuck.

There are things you could do to mitigate, however. One is to lock down the Unity version you are using and make a push both internally and with Unity to stabilize and optimize it on OS X and Linux before launch. The other, since this is an ongoing issue with Unity and you intend to keep adding content and functions post-release (huzzah!), is to pledge to not make mandatory pushes of client versions with Unity system updates until they have run MULTIPLE months in QA with Unity fixing the problems they have most recently introduced on OS X and Linux.

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

For sure the game lacks serious resource sinks. Other than trying to craft very very high enchanted there is none really. No city building, no war, no raids = no drivers for an economy sadly.

K1000 likes this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're excited to see so many great comments about what's coming up, thank you all for your kind feedback! Let's keep up the positive contributions and keep the unnecessary negative to... zero please :).

7. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

I have a question which isn't related to game launch but it is related to pledge rewards;

Is there a status update on the 2nd and 3rd novels?

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

@DarkStarr,
    I was just out of breath reading the whole R49 text ;)

And now ... unexpected ... surprised!
    You must have been dying to post this Q I Information that early!
    [I hope, I used this phrase in right translation. I meant it the positive way :)]

Congratulations at this point to the whole team for your work.
    It's really not easy to fulfill wishes of so many - different - people ...
    [Even if your name is Star or Garriot ;)]
    And it's certainly often a challenge for our @Berek to find the right words in the forum!
    Go on with your kindness, too, Berek - I appreciate your behavior :)

I think we all are very excited for the first quarter of the new year.
    Until then:
    Have a good time - find peace between the years and relax in a good manner to reach your (and our ;)) goal!
    I think - beside all criticism - we all want to see a successful game ...
    And as I learned: The more you care about something, the more criticism peradventure rises ...
    So in most cases I think, a lot of people really care about a good game :)

P.S.: @DarkStarr, what I missed -sorry, if I overread it, because of your mammoth text- if you can talk about it yet,
    what about the "kickstarter"/beginning of Episode 2?
    End of 2018?
    [I made it no secret, as all my feedback shows, I like the storypart - and I want to know how it goes on in Epsiode 2 ...]

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Congrats on nearing release.

This feature of Item Affinity/History honestly has been one of the features I've been most excited about, and one I believe Richard has literally been talking about since day 1. It is an innovative feature that provides a rich hook for SotA and builds upon the history of a living world and immersion.

My concern is that the system of item breakage and decay are contrary to the notion of preserving items for affinity and history. I've been hoping to see a better design to make crafting valuable and worthwhile that doesn't force item destruction, since it undermines Item Affinity.

I also don't see custom heraldry anywhere on the list (unless I'm missing it). Wasn't that a Kickstarter pledge reward?

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

R51: Heraldry

11. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

So are these going to be live releases or QA only releases?

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

By the way, I hope you guys really consider modifying books in the game before launch so there is a separate field for the author and for the scribe. Right now if you write a book in the tooltip it says "By" the person who transcribed it.

Its really important to a lot of us who want to contribute some written content in game, and while it doesn't sound like a priority as a feature, I don't really want to be in a position where I have to remake or get new copies of all the player books I put up on library shelves if you decide to do this later.

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

fingers crossed for 10k new players

14. DarkStarr

Live releases. We decided against the "go dark/only QA" plan.

15. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Hear, hear! This is a time to celebrate! Huzzah for the full launch!

16. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Great news indeed. It's party time.

17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I would easily expect to times that number at least by 4!

jammaplaya and Stundorn like this.
  18. DarkStarr

Thanks for the kind words.

We are not planning on talking about Ep 2 until we finish all the Ep 1 content.

19. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris

Congrats on finally reaching the release date and has there been anything released on what the Episode 2 will be and not just a large list of items that will be put into the game?

Will pledge upgrades be available so you can upgrade from Lord Marshal (my level) to the next pledge level(s) in game?

Thank you and again congratulations on reaching this milestone!

Malimn

20. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

CANDIDATE..... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.