Only allow ghosts to be damaged by magic

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We've already been through this kinda thing in game and its hard to deal with. Elemental used to be resistant to all forms of damage so it was exploited. People could cast an earth elemental and send it against all the earth elemental in a mine and then farm the ore without any worry. It then also forces mixing of class's and people like to not be limited. For example, Im full blunt on my bar right now, if I ran into a ghost I could not kill it. Sure, I can throw one of my earth spells on the bar.

The dev's have balanced this well. Ghosts are very resistant to my bludge build but I eventually can kill them (and I have to have 900+ point in bludge skills to even do that). With my Earth build, I can take on earth elemental but it takes a long time. I think they have balanced this perfectly.

It makes sense right? An earth elemental can resist strait up earth spell damage but my actually take physical damage from the actual impact of the stone.

Bowen Bloodgood and Nelzie like this.
  2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Almost all games, from Tabletop to Computer that have ghosts require some kind of magical weapon.

In this game, virtually nobody should see an adversary ghost, until they are high enough in level that they would have magical weapons... ooops! Except Highvale Outskirts, which means that the whole Frostgeist quest chain would need to be completely changed. Also... the Frostgeist chain is demonic related so...whoa, even more resistances are in play there!

I'm fine with it being the way it is. Perhaps Silver weapons or a Silver effect... (Like any Masterworked weapon) should do double damage to Ghosts and similar creatures... but, I do not believe that we should have foes that can only be harmed by magic.

3. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@redfish "It's a ghost. They pass through things. Things pass through them. It's a pretty constant concept through almost any ghost related mythos." <-- I am not mistaken about this.

Aside from ghosts generally being viewed as left overs of dead people, they pass through things and things pass through them. This idea is prevalent throughout ghost mythos. Although, I never said it was always the case.

However, you do make a good point about cold iron. That's something I entirely forgot about. Perhaps cold iron instead of silver then. Silver is for werewolves :)

I dunno about gust damaging them. I don't like that idea. Gust is not damaging by nature.

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Applerust What about Gust damaging a Fire elemental ;)

5. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I'm for some circumstantial stuff like that, but I would prefer fire eles be weak to water. I actually made another post about this.

6. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

I would think a gust of wind to a fire elemental would increase its stats or even heal it, fire needs air to live and grow!

Think Blast Furnace! =D

I'm with Applerust, Water is the mortal enemy of fire!

7. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

That makes no sense,.... that will only help a fire elemental
    water hurts fire
    fire hurts air
    air hurts earth
    earth hurts water
    and the cycle continues
    a.f.a.i.k.

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah this here is something I never understood - several releases ago they made the ghosts all but immune to magic and you had to use physical damage to hurt them. The new ghost miniboss in Elysium is nearly immune to magic (taking like 5% dmg from magic attacks, even banish/searing ray). If anything, I would think the reverse would be true, since they are you know, ghosts. We already have plenty of mobs that take reduced damage from magic, or cancel magic use entirely, but nothing that's immune to physical.

I think its kind of impractical, though - since ghosts are everywhere. And until they add the ability to lock gear to protect it from sell/destruction I'd really not like to be forced to carry a special undead slaying weapon - that's just going to create annoyance where none needs exist. Perhaps a castable buff/aura needed for slaying ethereal creatures could help bridge the logic cap. You could even unlock this via some sort of quest.

Ajivani and Paladin Michael like this.
  9. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

We have the ultimate weapon against undead:
    Banish Undead ...
    Unfortunately the group damage was taken away releases before :(
    It was (and also should be again!) a group thing.
    Or may be a new further skill like it is solved in the death tree (Death Ray, Death Field).

DEATH <----> LIFE

I think, a weapon could be modified with Alchemy to have "Banish Undead" effect on it ;)

There is also an interesting thread about here!

Sentinel2 and Stundorn like this.
  10. SpaceNinjaPirate

SpaceNinjaPirate Avatar

Except this one. I understand where you're coming from, but there is no magical/fantasy rulebook that governs how things must behave inside of every magical/fantasy setting. If the "gods" (devs) decree that ghosts can be harmed by physical means (possibly due to the invisible magical energies being emitted by all of the various sources in New Britannia that, in turn, grant immaterial beings a sort of physical presence able to be harmed by other physical items), then I'm OK with that.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Kabalyero likes this.
  11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I agree that some mobs like ghosts should be highly resistant (not immune) to physical attacks the same way that many mobs are currently resistant to many magic schools.

12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Why would you assume elemental based attacks would work on a ghost if physical attacks don't?

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Does it make no sense? Light a candle and blow on the flame.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Except if its a grease fire, because then the water will just help spread the fire.

Wind will put out a fire though, just like blowing on a candle will put it out, if its cold and manages to diffuse it. Blast furnaces use hot dry air, not cold air, and in a enclosed space. (And of course, wind and such will often have moisture too which will help ;) )

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I don't use magic except for buffs/healing so I'll be killed whenever I encounter them... I don't think that's fun for me... :(

16. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

I imagine that might be part of the point - as a few pointed out, currently wizards/mages get the short stick on some fights, but no short stick for physical damage dealing types. No instance where the melee/ranged build has to sit back and either switch spec or do nothing to the enemy. I like the idea.

Applerust and Ajivani like this.
  17. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

Magic attacks. A lightning attack is a magic attack. Please explain to me how a lightning attack doesn't involve physical damage. BOOM! CRASH! The damage caused by lightning is purely physical. How does this MAGIC attack differ from me bashing a ghost in the nads with my sword?

18. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

If we're going down this route, let us also be able to create tokens we can imbue spells into, with one spell being Grant Peace. Casting it on a ghost instantly destroys it.

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Call it a truce and have ghosts not able to interact with us?

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well then you'd have to remove ghosts from every scene that involves the main story wouldn't you? And all mines for that matter since everyone needs to be ABLE to mine offline if no where else.. Probably also have to include any PvP zones for anyone who wants to PvP without offensive magic in their build.. any other scenes that involve side quests... everyone has to be able to do side quests also..

Bankee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.